KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Software and Hardware Review and Suggestions?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/08/2020 11:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Software and Hardware Review and Suggestions?   - MechEDoc - 01/08/2020 11:38 AM  
 Software and Hardware Review and Suggestions?   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/08/2020 12:31 PM  
Keyword
 01/08/2020 11:38 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MechEDoc

Long time lurker, first time poster! 

Looking for wisdom of the masses. I am locums tenens physician who travels with their own dictation setup. I configured everthing several years ago and I am now looking to revisit my setup to see if I can make improvements. 

I'm currently running a I7 ( i7-6700HQ - 2.6 ghz, quad core) with 16g ram (either dell xps 15 or lenovo) with Dragon Professional 15 along with a Speechmike II or a Speechware TableMike. The Dragon Professional was trained on several emergency medicine textbooks as well at several thousand patient notes. Overall the accuracy seems to be pretty good. With regards to microphones, I use the Speechmike II in higher noise environments and the TableMike when dictating in a quiet / private room. 

Questions:

1. would changing to DPME 4 lead to better speech recognition? Does it use the same engine? 
  2. Are there better microphone options? Speechmike III? Philips? Other? 
  3. Any advantages to newer computer hardware? 
Thanks in advance!

01/08/2020 12:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World's Most Popular Speech Recognition Forum

We don't recommend a new computer or sound system because your existing hardware is perfect. You should appreciate slightly better accuracy with DMPE 4.2 because it includes the same speech engine but the algorithms are specifically tuned for medical use. For example, when you attempt to dictate a nonmedical email, you will likely find that your accuracy has noticeably dropped. A secondary DMPE 4 advantage is that it's Ver. 15.4 build, as opposed to DPI 15.3, is full compatibility in Word and Outlook 2019. Even though DMPE 4 should be somewhat more accurate, we are hesitant to make this recommendation because it might be hard to justify the $1600 price.

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

Statistics
31789 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 539 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 540 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.