KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What country hosts the server that Philips PDCC communicates with?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/06/2020 12:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 08/06/2020 12:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TCXO
Top-Tier Member

Our IT person is tightening up the firewall security for the office so as to reduce the likelihood of a ransomware attack.   He made some changes (geo-blocking) that will not let PDCC communicate with the Philips server which rendered my Philips SpeechMike / PDCC not working. 

What country hosts the Philips server that PDCC communicates with on start-up?

Netherlands, Germany?

Thanks!!

David 

-------------------------

DMPE 4.3 (v15.5) | Lenovo ThinkPad P52 [Xeon E-2176M, 16GB DDR4] | Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th [i7-8650U, 16GB LPDDR3] | Philips SMP4000 w/ ACC4100

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi

08/06/2020 01:49 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Phillips is located in the Netherlands but the Phillips Device Control Center should only function locally, like DMPE 4 because it is a local installation and even saves your button programming locally. The PDCC should work even without Internet access.

Our Internet was down for a few minutes this morning and the PDCC worked fine but we only program the buttons on ours.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/06/2020 03:00 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

The Philips Speech Division is located in Vienna, Austria, and has been for quite a while. Austria is in Europe, next to Germany, but not a part of Germany, just pointing this out to people in the US who may not know this. I believe there are quite some.

Other than that, I don't think that asking in which particular country the server communicating with devices is located isn't really useful, as, by the same token, you may ask yourself where the server connecting up from your end is located.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

08/07/2020 01:07 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Zig
Top-Tier Member

"Austria is in Europe, next to Germany, but not a part of Germany, just pointing this out to people in the US who may not know this. I believe there are quite some."

I believe there was once a German leader under the same misapprehension.

Zig

08/07/2020 10:57 PM

Author Icon
MDH
Top-Tier Member

""Austria is in Europe, next to Germany, but not a part of Germany, just pointing this out to people in the US who may not know this. I believe there are quite some." I believe there was once a German leader under the same misapprehension.

--Including our U.S. President

MDH

08/08/2020 04:19 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: MDH ""Austria is in Europe, next to Germany, but not a part of Germany, just pointing this out to people in the US who may not know this. I believe there are quite some." I believe there was once a German leader under the same misapprehension.

--Including our U.S. President

MDH

Actually, they both have a lot in common.

DragonCapture Homepage

08/06/2020 03:31 PM

Author Icon
TCXO
Top-Tier Member

PDCC will go searching for updates when it boots up (if it cannot find the Philips server, as might occur if no internet connection, it will give an error message and ask to Retry).
In my situation, the IT person applied a firewall geo-block to the whole world except for North America; this is when I developed the PDCC loading issue. Since then he has allowed Europe and this resolved the PDCC loading problem.

DMPE 4.3 (v15.5) | Lenovo ThinkPad P52 [Xeon E-2176M, 16GB DDR4] | Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 6th [i7-8650U, 16GB LPDDR3] | Philips SMP4000 w/ ACC4100

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi

08/06/2020 03:42 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

How does the internet work?

https://www.howtogeek.com/341866/how-does-the-internet-work/

DragonCapture Homepage

08/08/2020 09:25 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Zig
Top-Tier Member

Rüdiger,

Couldn't agree more.

Watched "Jojo Rabbit' last night on HBO (Home Box Office); is it available to you??

(Glad you didn't take my prior post as an instance of Godwin's Law.)

Zig

08/09/2020 04:56 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Zig, HBO isn't available to me, at least, but then, I am pretty much old-school when it comes to consuming TV, as I rely on public broadcasting services solely, which may seem odd to you, but over here, it is the best you can get, from an informational point of view. And they also have their share of entertainment, such as when broadcasting TV show series like "Better Call Saul" (my favourite currently), although with quite a delay, but then also in English, optionally.

I have to admit, also, that I wasn't familiar with "Godwin's Law", and I had to look it up. Strange, somehow, if you think about how this ever emanated, and I wonder whether there is an equivalent to it in real life.

DragonCapture Homepage

Statistics
31740 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 453 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 455 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.