Phillips Speechmike Premium 3500   - Chucker - 11/21/2013 09:53 PM  
 Phillips Speechmike Premium 3500   - TCXO - 11/21/2013 10:41 PM  
 Phillips Speechmike Premium 3500   - photorob - 11/22/2013 11:18 PM  
Keyword
 11/21/2013 08:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
photorob

Using the Speechmike Premium 3500 with Macbook Pro Parallels 9 GB memory 4 assigned to windows 7 with Medical edition version 2. It works great but I prefer not to carry Mike from room to room. If I leave it plugged in there is no lag when I record but when I unplug mike and plug back in there is 5-10 second lag that I have to wait for the mike to "come to life" and record. Is there any solution or should I just leave it plugged in all day.

11/21/2013 09:41 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

With most USB microphones you would encounter a 3 to 5 second delay while NaturallySpeaking goes through the handshaking procedure of recognizing your microphone but the time can be doubled with the Philips SpeechMike Premium (LFH-3500) because the same handshaking procedure has to be repeated with the Philips Device Control Center. The only way we know to avoid this delay is unfortunately, by purchasing additional microphones.

-------------------------
Lunis Orcutt (615) 884-4558 x2
Live Chat
KnowBrainer Videos
What Is KnowBrainer Professional 2017 (PDF)
KnowBrainer 2017 (30 Day Trial)
SpeechStart+ (15 Day Trial)
 11/22/2013 05:43 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt With most USB microphones you would encounter a 3 to 5 second delay while NaturallySpeaking goes through the handshaking procedure of recognizing your microphone but the time can be doubled with the Philips SpeechMike Premium (LFH-3500) because the same handshaking procedure has to be repeated with the Philips Device Control Center. The only way we know to avoid this delay is unfortunately, by purchasing additional microphones.

Yikes! So much handshaking going on over there.  -

In a "normal" Windows PC setup, I can unplug the SpeechMike and plug it back in any time and repeat this over an over again, with no delay at all other than the minimal time it takes Windows to reregister the hardware which seems just a fraction of a second.

I can't speak for the Macbook Parallels setup though not knowing how exactly the hardware is handled and shared between in this environment.

The question is also what exactly do you mean by "bringing back to life", does is take more than 5 seconds for the device to be registered in Windows, or is there a delay between turning it on and speaking and the words appearing on the screen?

Rüdiger

We hook into it, because we can! (Home/Premium/Pro/Group, Ver. 12 or higher)

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...
DragonEcho, DragonPhrases, DragonBench, DragonSources (more to come)
Click the picture and find out!

11/21/2013 09:53 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Robert,

If you like the SpeechMike Premium 3500 and you don't want to switch microphones or buy a new one, then I would simply leave it plugged in all day. However, that can become cumbersome. The microphone that I like using with my two laptops because it is very portable in that I can carry it around with my laptop, is the SpeechWare SpeechMatic USB MultiAdapter & USB TravelMike. I get excellent accuracy, I don't have to sit right in front of it or hold it close to my mouth, and I can dictate with virtually 98% to 99% accuracy even in moderate background noise conditions at a distance between 10 inches and 20 inches from the microphone element. It's very unobtrusive and it comes with a very solid 90° USB extension.

Chuck

"Man is the animal that intends to shoot himself out into interplanetary space, after having given up on the problem of an efficient way to get himself five miles to work and back each day." - Bill Vaughn

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

11/21/2013 10:41 PM

Author Icon
TCXO
Top-Tier Member

I concur with Chuck with regards to the SpeechWare TravelMike. The TravelMike is small enough to place in a lower lab coat pocket and is very light weight. No USB cables to coil up. The TravelMike is up and running almost instantly when plugging it into a USB port.

Happy dictating,
David

DMPE 4, Medent EMR, Lenovo ThinkPad P51 [Xeon E3-1535M v6, 16GB DDR4, W10P], Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) [i7-8650U, 16GB LPDDR3, W10P], Philips SMP3700, SMP4000, Sennheiser MB Pro 2 UC

"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi

11/22/2013 11:18 PM

Author Icon
photorob

I appreciate all the feedback. I really like the speech mike because I have the buttons programmed to cut and paste the text, open dictation box ect. Besides I have actually purchased two of the mikes because I sent one back for service and bought a replacement while I am waiting for Phillips service [about 600 plus dollars] I guess I am stuck with the delay in that I refuse to go to a non Mac computer at this time. Perhaps the Parallels support could help me in that I never noticed this before the Parallels 9 update that I can remember. 

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Microphones and Sound Cards » Phillips Speechmike Premium 3500

Statistics
30609 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 263 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 265 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.