Soundblaster X-fi Noise   - juniperpansy - 03/04/2012 04:13 PM  
 Soundblaster X-fi Noise   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/04/2012 04:36 PM  
 Soundblaster X-fi Noise   - juniperpansy - 03/04/2012 05:07 PM  
 Soundblaster X-fi Noise   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/04/2012 06:19 PM  
Keyword
 03/04/2012 04:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

juniperpansy

Hi I have a Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum soundcard with the latest drivers installed. I've noticed for a long time that DNS would write "him him him", "the the the" or something to the screen for seemingly no reason. Well, I've isolated the problem.

When I listen to mic input I hear an off/on electrical buzzing sound. This happens regardless whether the microphone is plugged in or not. This noise appears to be caused by interference from the power supply. I have opened up my case and moved the main line of the power supply as far as possible from my soundcard. The buzzing has certainly become quieter but I am unable to eliminate it completely (note: while the noise is there  regardless of whether the mic is plugged in or not, it is louder with the mic plugged in).

I have a high quality power supply (corsair). My case is one of the new ones where the power supply is at the bottom of the case. I have moved the x-fi card as far away as possible and moved the cords out of the way as much as possible too, but it only helps so much.

Any ideas as to how I can fix this once and for all? I've run out of ideas

Thanks.

03/04/2012 04:36 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Unfortunately, even the best PCI sound cards are subject to interference within the case and as much as you probably won't like hearing it, a $40 ANC USB Pod external USB soundcard will often prevent the problem because it's shielded and more importantly; outside the case. From a speech recognition point of view, all Sound Blaster cards and USB soundcards are equal. We have a Sound Blaster X-Fi card in Tom’s (our office manager) computer which is great for music playback but we chose to bypass the Sound Blaster card with a $45 Andrea PureAudio USB soundcard for Tom’s Pro 8HEmW microphone. Unfortunately, the short answer may be to avoid using any internal sound card for speech recognition.

-------------------------

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

03/04/2012 05:07 PM

juniperpansy

OK thanks Lunis, I appreciate the response. I seem to remember internal sound cards being recommended here... but  I guess I was wrong.
 03/04/2012 06:19 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

In most situations, PCI soundcards are equivalent to USB soundcards but every now and then, we hear about interference problems within the case and that is the main reason why we recommend avoiding the issue with an inexpensive USB soundcard. Another advantage to USB soundcards is that they are extremely small and portable. However, in speech recognition circumstances when you're not suffering from any kind of interference, a PCI sound card is just as good as a USB soundcard.

-------------------------

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Microphones and Sound Cards » Soundblaster X-fi Noise

Statistics
28140 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 151 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 153 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.