KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?
Topic Summary: need a good noise cancelling mic for low volume dictation
Created On: 02/27/2012 10:01 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - Wally - 02/27/2012 10:01 PM  
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - Wally - 02/27/2012 10:12 PM  
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - phils - 02/27/2012 10:44 PM  
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - Wally - 02/27/2012 10:59 PM  
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - phils - 02/28/2012 01:25 PM  
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - wheelstb - 02/27/2012 10:48 PM  
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - brainybanana - 02/28/2012 05:12 AM  
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/28/2012 10:12 PM  
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - wheelstb - 02/28/2012 11:22 PM  
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - phils - 02/29/2012 08:53 AM  
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/29/2012 02:54 PM  
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - GDS - 02/29/2012 04:14 PM  
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - wheelstb - 02/29/2012 05:30 PM  
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - phils - 02/29/2012 06:25 PM  
 best mic for writing in a coffeeshop?   - wheelstb - 02/29/2012 08:13 PM  
Keyword
 02/27/2012 10:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Wally

I am partially disabled due to herniated discs and nerve damage. I have been using an airline 77 on my desktop at home with much success, but I am trying to find a solution that will allow me to get out of the house and use my laptop for dictation. Ideally, I would like to be able to dictate in a soft voice at a coffeeshop. What mic would be best for this? theboom? the sennheiser me-3? the audio-technica 8HEmW? Something else? Is it even possible to dictate in a coffeeshop environment?

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions! 

02/27/2012 10:12 PM

Wally

It also looks like, while pricey, theboom quiet might be perfect for what i'm looking for. Would it be worth the added cost?
 02/27/2012 10:44 PM

Author Icon
phils
Top-Tier Member

Wally, I am partially disabled with pinched nerves in my neck and back. over the last few years I used the airline 77 at home/office. I understand you wanting to get out more but just be sure that sitting In a less than ideal chair does not aggravate your condition. Using a laptop in a coffee shop, even under the best circumstances, is hardly going to be ergonomic.

Before the Airline77, I had used the BoomO as my standard DNS dictation set up. Until a few weeks ago it was my dictation set up when I was away from my office. I am now using the Audio Technica but I do find that it has an output level at the low end of acceptable with most sound pods so it is probably not going to be be good for soft voice dictation. Perhaps Lunis can weigh in here on if one of the other sound cards is actually higher gain. I believe that the Andrea Pure Audio, which is what I typically use, is relatively speaking, at the lower end of gain among USB sound pods.

theBoomO is not a rugged headset and you will have to be careful with it. We have used this general line of headsets around the office for years, since they first came out, as our standard telephone headsets and have been quite happy with them.

Phil Schaadt

-------------------------

A proud member of the local "Peanut Gallery"

02/27/2012 10:59 PM

Wally

Thanks for the suggestion. I've avoided getting out specifically for ergonomic reasons but being couped up at home all day is taking its toll. Between finding a comfortable easy chair and this bookholder/laptop stand I think I can manage the ergonomics so I can keep my neck straight:

http://web.me.com/jfadams/Site/Specialized_Book_Holders.html 

I'm thinking either the  8HEmW or theboom pro3 or quiet if I decide on noise cancelling. I'm not sure the difference between the pro3 and the quiet, is one over ear and the other on ear? Can you wear an active noise cancelling headset for long periods? I've heard some people get headaches from the bose active noise cancelling sets.

02/28/2012 01:25 PM

Author Icon
phils
Top-Tier Member

Wally, I use theboom Quiet as my telephone headset and wear it over the Airline77 or AT mic for many hours per day. I sit in a special chair set at 120 degrees reclining. My head is supported with a custom "Super Fluff" polyester batting. If you can wear the Airline77 you can wear the Quiet. But support your head if you do not want your pinched nerves in your neck to act up.

Phil Schaadt

02/27/2012 10:48 PM

wheelstb
Top-Tier Member

The boom oh is expensive but, I think it is exactly what you would need to dictate in a coffee shop. It allows you to dictate privately because you can almost whisper and the microphone and your dictation will still be transcribed accurately. And also has the noise canceling ability to blackout almost anything that might be going on around you. I have used this microphone for a couple of years and I have no doubt that I would be more than successful trying to dictate at a coffee shop.

If you don't mind the fact that it does not have earphones you may want to check out this microphone.

http://www.knowbrainer.com/NewStore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=410

It is supposed to be better noise canceling then the boom and although I have never used it personally I read on a review of this that you can practically whispering into the microphone.

02/28/2012 05:12 AM

Author Icon
brainybanana
Top-Tier Member

Both microphones, which I have in my possession work extremely well in noisy environments. The Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW performed flawlessly at the Eurotunnel terminal in Calais yesterday! Previously, I have utilised the Sennheiser ME-3 at an extremely noisy airport; so you should have absolutely no problem dictating in a cafe. In fact, I think the Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW will give you better results with a 'softly spoken / quiet voice' in a noisy environment, but your mileage may vary.

You have not filled out the user profile, so if you have not got a soundcard that is optimised for speech recognition, make sure you purchase one if you are considering purchasing either microphone. Having been utilising the SpeechWare 3-in-1 for such a long period of time, I now find wearing a headset a grave inconvenience, but in the past, I never experienced any headaches wearing a headset for extended periods of time. However, that reflects my personal experience, which may be different to yours.

DNS 12.0 Professional, Windows 7, Intel Core i7 2630QM, 16GB of RAM. Second-Generation SpeechWare 6-in-1.
 02/28/2012 10:12 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

There hasn't been a bad recommendation as far as we can see but we did want to toss out a little “hot off the press” information.

From a sensitivity (almost whispering) point of view, Wheelstb’s recommendation for theBoom “O” was right on the money but 1 of the reasons why it's sensitive is because it has a smaller microphone element with a lower impedance which works extremely well with the discontinued 1st generation PureAudio USB-SA Pod external soundcard. However, the second-generation PureAudio soundcard has just been released. It is identical, in quality, to the 1st generation (so don't rush out to replace it) but includes a 2 inch pigtail USB cord because customers were complaining about the original model blocking adjacent USB ports and the newer model is hotter because of low volume complaints. Considering the previous information, our vote would be for the Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW which features slightly higher accuracy and a little better noise cancellation. Note that we still concur with Wheelstb’s original recommendation but with a hotter USB soundcard, such as the new PureAudio, the old ANC USB Pod or Buddy 6G USB Pod, you should be able to speak at a lower volume level with the Pro 8HEmW which is potentially better at filtering out other voices in a café. 

We recently tested the Pro 8HEmW on a prop plane. Although our accuracy wasn't ideal, the Pro 8HEmW is about the only microphone that we could actually get away with using on a prop plane. HOWEVER, we should point out that the microphone did considerably better on the inside of the plane.

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

02/28/2012 11:22 PM

wheelstb
Top-Tier Member

Over the past couple of weeks I have really been trying to explore finding a way to use speech recognition and the telephone to be productive. I have tried several solutions and I have found nothing that will work to my satisfaction.

The best solution for me will probably be to where to headsets. I am looking for two things in the headset that I wear. I would like them both to be easy to get on and off and I would like the one that I use for speech recognition to be able to handle a very soft voice and have a high degree of noise cancellation.

I am debating if I should purchase and other boom o or should I go with the new Audio-Technica headset. I like having at least one air phone so that I am able to proofread my dictations but, if the Audio-Technica was going to perform much better under my criteria I guess I would be willing to work without having headphones.

Will I see a noticeable improvement with the Audio-Technica ?

02/29/2012 08:53 AM

Author Icon
phils
Top-Tier Member

wheelstb:

you will see a very noticeable improvement in DNS dictation accuracy by moving to the Audio Technica from the BoomO.

I used to dictate using the BoomO, for about two years, before I moved to the airline 77. Even though I am on the phone at least four hours a day with the theBoom Quiet, the recognition improvement by switching to the airline 77 was so significant that I am usually wearing both. Prior to the Audio Technica, I used theBoomO when I was away from my office as my backup dictation mic and cell phone headset and I always immediately noticed the drop in DNS accuracy compared to the Airline77.

Also I have the PC cable adapter for the theBoom quiet as well as the phone adapter. You can swap the headset from phone to PC to listen to your dictation if you want. 

With the new Audio Technica, the difference between it and the Airline77 is still detectable, noticeable but not as a significant difference. During the last week I have been using the Audio Technica for dictation and theBoom Quiet for the telephone.

Of course, you will need to practice to maintain a consistent, excellent dictation style in order to get the most out of any microphone.

Philip Schaadt

02/29/2012 02:54 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

From our point of view, Philip summed it up nicely. We think you'll find the Audio-Technica to be more accurate but it may not be worth sacrificing sound playback. Note that you can always purchase both units and return 1. You just need to request an RMA within 30 days

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

02/29/2012 04:14 PM

Author Icon
GDS
Top-Tier Member

Wheels,

Like I mentioned in the other thread, consider a premium Bluetooth headset that works with your telephone and computer. I use the Sennheiser ME-3 AND the GN9350e (both available at the KnowBrainer store), but that's overkill. You could concievably get by with just the GN9350e. You've probably read on this forum that "bluetooth isn't ready for prime time," but I think that's a little harsh. Is Bluetooth as accurate as a close-talk headset microphone (like the Audio Technica, ME-3, etc.)? No. You'll see that when you run the audio setup wizard. But with a proper dictation style, you will probably be pleased with your accuracy. And that way, you'll only have to put on one headset. I'm wearing (and dictating with) the GN9350 now, and because it's got a headband (either behind the neck or over the head) I find it quite easy to get on and off.

Eric Wright  At work: Dragon Medical 10.1. At Home: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12.5 Professional, KnowBrainer 2012; Dragon Dictate 3 for Mac

Appetite for Dictation - My Blog

02/29/2012 05:30 PM

wheelstb
Top-Tier Member

Thanks to everyone for the input. I have a couple of things to think about now before I make my decision.

Eric

One of the reasons I'm sort of leaning away from a Bluetooth microphone that will work with the telephone is because from what I've seen on the Knowbrainer store, it looks like most of them have a large base or something that needs to be plugged into a power outlet. This is something I'm looking to avoid.

Plus I have used a couple of headsets in the past, possibly because I have a soft voice or possibly because of something else, I have really only have lucky using the boom o and a Plantronics headset that I was actually able to get surprising results with.

So ideally I would like to use a regular wired headset and I would also like to use something that would allow me to speak in a very soft voice. I don't think my voice is severely abnormally soft but that seems to be the trend I am noticing with my speech recognition electronics.

02/29/2012 06:25 PM

Author Icon
phils
Top-Tier Member

I think you meant your reply to GDS.

I have had nothing but problems with Bluetooth and only use wired headsets or non-Bluetooth wireless (Airline77)

Phil Schaadt

02/29/2012 08:13 PM

wheelstb
Top-Tier Member

You are correct. My apologies. But thank you for your input as well.
Statistics
28150 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 81 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 83 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.