Blue Parrot Xpressway Problems   - Chucker - 01/26/2013 02:37 PM  
 Blue Parrot Xpressway Problems   - Jomark - 01/27/2013 07:42 AM  
Keyword
 01/03/2012 06:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
takenaback
Top-Tier Member

I am using the Blue Parrot Xpressway while waiting for a Jabra GN9330 battery to arrive and I can't get the volume to work unless I uninstall the Bluetooth software, pull the iogear dongle out, restart the computer and install from scratch. I have tried multiple USB ports and the same problem exists with the Anycom dongle I have as well. The volume will work until I restart the computer, sometimes it will work through one restart but certainly not through multiple restarts and usually fails the next time I turn the computer on in the morning. I have it selected in the sound devices and I know Bluetooth is notoriously unreliable with syncing but I really need this to work for a short period anyway so I was hoping one of you guys may be able to point the problem out. I have no problems with the recording side of it and have dictated this question.

Hope somebody can help.

Steve

I should also point out that I have tried system restore and an earlier Acronis TrueImage backup when the volume was working but to no avail.

-------------------------

Win 7,I7 4770K,16 GB RAM,DNS 13 pro,Jabra pro 9470

01/03/2012 03:02 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We doubt you'll find a solution for the Blueparrott Xpressway and now that the Plantronics Savi 440 has been introduced, we are recommending against the use of any Bluetooth microphones. We have even added a disclaimer to our BlueParrott Xpressway add in an effort to dissuade would-be Bluetooth users into using anything else. From a speech recognition point of view, Bluetooth still isn't ready for prime time and this is 1 of those reasons. We are also disappointed that VXI never came through with their Bluetooth dongle because a specialized dongle would have at least taken care of volume and sync issues.

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

01/04/2012 03:59 AM

Author Icon
takenaback
Top-Tier Member

Thank you for your reply Lunis, even though it is bad news. It is indeed a shame that VXI didn't follow through with a dongle. I am using the blue parrot Xpressway with a BestMatch IV user profile and at times I find it frustrating as it doesn't seem to be very accurate. Believe it or not my Plantronics DSP 400 is more accurate at the moment but I can't stand being tethered to the computer.

Steve

01/04/2012 03:40 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The Plantronics DSP 400 is somewhat uncomfortable and lacks the noise cancellation of the Xpressway but as you noted, should be marginally more accurate in Ver. 11 because of the higher sampling rate. And yes… We are also disappointed with VXIs decision because they have made a lot impressive advances with the rest of their speech recognition microphone line.

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

01/08/2012 04:07 AM

Author Icon
takenaback
Top-Tier Member

Unfortunately you have been proven correct thus far Lunis, I haven't been able to connect the audio clip permanently. My Bluetooth audio quits working when the Bluetooth connection is disconnected then reconnected. As I said previously there is nothing wrong with my microphone as it is still connected but it probably happens on average every third time pairing its broken. I have established that it has nothing to do with a restart as it can happen when the blue parrot Xpressway pairing is disconnected while the computer is on. It is frustrating because I am used to wireless and don't want to go back but I am having to remove the Bluetooth dongle software every second day if not every day then reinstall. When I open the playback devices the green bar next to the Bluetooth microphone is active when I have some music on indicating that it is working, but no sound. Despite the gloomy prediction from Lunis can anybody help me with something else to try?

Cheers
Steve

01/08/2012 09:39 AM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Steve,

Long long ago in a galaxy far far way...

We at VoiceComputer stop supporting any type of Bluetooth microphone precisely because of these issues. There has never been a Bluetooth microphone and/or Bluetooth dongle that has consistently been reliable or produced the type of performance with DNS that lived up to our expectations. We refuse to support any user using Bluetooth microphones. That's not to say that some users can't get reliable results using Bluetooth microphones. It's just to say that we consider Bluetooth microphones to be "not ready for prime time." Anything that kills a user's productivity by wasting time, causing dropouts where the microphone doesn't work and the user has to wrap their leg around their neck six or seven times in order to get it to work again, is not viable for use with Dragon NaturallySpeaking. We will not sell nor will we support any user using the Bluetooth microphone. It's not that we won't support our users. It's simply that we warn them up front and support them as far as we can with that understanding.

We acknowledge that the VXI BlueParrot Expressway is by far the best Bluetooth microphone available for use with DNS. We just can't support it because it's too unreliable. In the beginning, we spend a considerable amount time testing the VXI BlueParrot Expressway with every dongle East and West of the Mississippi. We found that it simply does not live up to our expectations for productivity and performance/accuracy relative to use with DNS. Note also that I probably have made the same statement as above at least 100 times on this forum and other forums regarding this microphone since it was originally introduced. Still, the most reliable and consistent wireless microphone in terms of performance and accuracy with DNS is still the Samson Airline 77 wireless microphone. There are others and many may equal or come close, but we've not found any to exceed the performance of the Samson Airline 77 wireless microphone.

Chuck

"Life's Rule #1: Once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend."  (Variant of Murphy's Law  -  Edward A. Murphy

01/25/2013 09:11 PM

Author Icon
lhb15

I am using XVi Blue Parrott Expressway, and, after some initial challenges persuading Dragon that if the computer itself supports Bluetooth, Bluetooth microphones don't necessarily need a USB dongle, I am getting consistently good results. It is a great hands-free microphone, the behind the neck configuration is stable and you barely know you are wearing it: I'd recommend the microphone without reservation.
Best wishes
Les
 01/26/2013 05:43 AM

Author Icon
takenaback
Top-Tier Member

Les

Interestingly enough I tried to enable my blue parrot Xpressway the other day just for test purposes but the volume wasn't loud enough to pass the audio test. Could be another problem with the dongle but quite frankly I don't care as the best place for mine is the bin. It's got tape around it trying to hold it together and there is probably some internal damage. The problems I had with it were inconsistent connectivity issues right from the start. This is a fairly old thread and you are stating the obvious when you say you don't need a Bluetooth dongle if Bluetooth is built in. I have a laptop as well and never used the dongle without problems whatsoever as it has an inbuilt bluetooth adapter.

Wish I could agree with you about wearing the behind the neck band as I found it dreadfully uncomfortable, but I do have a head bigger than most and I only wish it was full of functioning brains. I found the blue parrot Xpressway to be fragile particularly with the over the headband and remarkably fragile in comparison to what I'm using now which is the Jabra pro 9470 albeit a little on the expensive side.

Besides the fact that it fell apart, wouldn't connect half the time, the biggest dealbreaker for me was the Bluetooth sound coming through the headset, what can I say "it's Bluetooth".

If it is working for you stick with it.

Cheers
Steve

01/26/2013 07:15 AM

Jomark
Top-Tier Member

The only problem that I had with the VXI Xpressway was the overhead band broke as for dictation I had no problems.

I also have a Jabra M5390 Bluetooth headset that also gave good results although the Jabra dongle was not very succesful as one had to play music for it to work for dictation. it worked well with my bluetooth laptop and with a bluetooth dongle

As I have no need to use them at present, I just use my Jabra9350e wireless microphone.

Jomark

01/26/2013 12:24 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

John,

Some users seem to have no problem with the VXI BlueParrot Expressway, even with the new enhanced Bluetooth model that supports higher bandwidth in DNS. However, users like yourself are the exception rather than the rule. There is so much inconsistency and unreliability between various Bluetooth microphones, that support is anywhere from difficult to impossible. Bluetooth microphones should be put in the recycle bin!!! Or incinerated.

Interestingly enough, although I don't particularly care for it, the new Plantronics Callisto enhanced Bluetooth microphone that Nuance now recommends, and sells with their mobile DNS product, is the most reliable (consistently) and is fairly accurate. Still, all Bluetooth microphones should be relegated to cell phones period.

Chuck

"Life's Rule #1: Once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend." (Variant of Murphy's Law - Edward A. Murphy, Jr)

01/26/2013 02:25 PM

Jomark
Top-Tier Member

Chuck

As with every microphone it is a matter of what works for you within your price range.

If it works, don't change it!

Jomark
 01/26/2013 02:37 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

John,

You're just quoting what I've been saying for 15 years. That is, If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The only thing I'm saying is that when I run into a client who is using a Bluetooth microphone and is having reliability/pairing/accuracy issues with it, I'll spend as much time as I can trying to help them, but I will advise them to dump it if it isn't working properly or if it isn't reliable, or if it's failing to pair up properly.

Otherwise, you only fix things that are broken, and if they're not broken, then plug it in. That's something that I learned firsthand in the military.

Chuck

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

01/27/2013 07:42 AM

Jomark
Top-Tier Member

Exactly!

Jomark
KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Microphones and Sound Cards » Blue Parrot Xpressway Problems

Statistics
28448 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 55 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 60 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.