Better Microphone   - Jomark - 02/25/2007 10:02 AM  
 Better Microphone   - mmarkoe - 02/25/2007 11:40 AM  
 Better Microphone   - Jomark - 02/26/2007 12:27 AM  
 Better Microphone   - PaulC - 02/25/2007 04:41 PM  
Keyword
 02/23/2007 12:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

PaulC

I have a pair of Emkay 3185's (actually Talkmics as I'm based in the UK) that I've used over a number of years at home and at work. I work in a moderately noisy open plan office (and a very noisy home). I use a Buddy USB adaptor on my laptop at work and a Creative soundcard at home.

Recognition accuracy has been okay, gradually getting better with subsequent releases of Dragon and vocabulary optimisation but I probably get no more than 95%. I've always put this down to poor diction but recently swapped to an old microphone (NCT Noisebuster) and was amazed at the improvement in accuracy. It feels like I'm more at the 99% mark now.

Unfortunately this microphone is incredibly uncomfortable to wear and I don't like the enclosed feeling that you get from the two headphones.

Are there any recommendations for a comfortable headset (close to the comfort level of the Emkay which you can just forget about when wearing) that has the accuracy level of the Noisebuster - and that is available in the UK?

02/23/2007 12:56 PM

Zane

Paul,

I recently obtained a KnowBrainer hybrid Plantronics CS 55 wireless headset.  The bottom line is that it rocks.  Very good accuracy and excellent noise cancellation.  It is lightweight and comfortable.  The best part is you are not tied down with wires.

Have a good day

zane

-------------------------

Zane,

HP 5100 / dual 7200 RPM Hard Drives / 2 gig 533 Ram / Intel 3.2 Ghz processor / 800 Mhz FSB / XP Pro / DNS 9.5 Pro / KB 2006 Rev E with vocabs / KB Hybrid Plantronics CS55 headset & USB pod.

02/23/2007 01:05 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The most comfortable and accurate headset we have ever worn is the Plantronics CS50-USB wireless microphone, which would be the CS60 in the UK and the Hybrid Plantronics CS55 wireless telephone/microphone because they weigh less than 1 ounce and can be worn directly on the ear.

The most comfortable accurate extremely noise canceling wired microphone we've ever worn is the KnowBrainer Hands-free microphone and less affordable Sennheiser KnowBrainer microphone because they have no speaker and go around the back of your head.

You couldn't pay us to use an EmKay microphone ;-)

Lunis Orcutt (615) 884-4558 x2
Live Chat
KnowBrainer Videos
What Is KnowBrainer Professional 2017 (PDF)
KnowBrainer 2017 (30 Day Trial)
SpeechStart+ (15 Day Trial)
 02/23/2007 05:29 PM

Author Icon
matthewls
Top-Tier Member

Agreed. The CS50 has worked the best for me. The limitations on my dictation accuracy are now between my ears and mouth.

02/23/2007 01:36 PM

JonWahrenberger

There are lots of options for you. As Lunis points out, the Plantronics CS50 USB is highly comfortable and attaches to the head (or ear alone) in a number of ways. I agree that this is a highly accurate and noise canceling microphone - the only disadvantage is the cost. The UmeVoice theBoom "O" is very lightweight and comfortable and is available in the UK from http://www.itspeaking.com in the UK. TheBoom V4 is ear mounted, extremelly comfortable and both highly accurate and noise canceling. If you can't find this in the UK, both emicrophones (http://www.emicrophones.com) and Speech Recogntion Solutions (http://www.speechrecsolutions.com/microphones_theBoom.htm) would be happy to ship a V4 to you.

Best of luck!

Jon

Jon Wahrenberger, MD
Speech Recognition Solutions
www.speechrecsolutions.com

02/23/2007 09:10 PM

Author Icon
Graham
Top-Tier Member

PaulC,

The other posts have said it all regarding the alternative wired and wireless microphones suitable for use in higher noise environments.  All of them are stocked by IT Speaking.  Contact me off list if you want to discuss the individual pros and cons.

I wouldn't go as far as Lunis in condemning the Emkay 3185 (Talkmic) but it doesn't have good noise reduction and the wiring is rather fragile.  Knowles/Emkay are no longer producing this microphone range.

Graham

www.itspeaking.co.uk

02/25/2007 10:02 AM

Jomark
Top-Tier Member

I have used  the Talkmic for several years now ( since L& H) and still using one. I am quite satisfied with it although I have not had the luxury (money) to compare it with other microphones available.

From looking at other microphones  I must say that the design of the headset in my opinion is very good from a comfort and adjustment consideration. The wiring on the latest one seems to be more robust than the previous one although it did last at least 5 years befor breaking and being repaired.

I also have an Emkay USB sound pod that works fine.

As with most things in life progress overtakes many things and I wonder which microphone will be the preferred flavour in 5 years time?

I am however in the process of assessing what wireless microphones are available locally before making a purchase.

Jomark

DPI 15, KB2017, SpeechStart+, MS Office 2010 Professional

02/25/2007 11:40 AM

mmarkoe

Jomark,

> I am however in the process of assessing what wireless microphones are available locally before making a purchase.

If you are doing professional level dictation (thousands of words a day and a professional/non-home quiet environment) and you need not only the highest accuracy but the best noise canceling, see if the Samson Airline 77 is available in your area. It is generally only available by mail order. However I can assure you that the new headset model is extremely comfortable.

If you do not need the absolute highest accuracy and noise canceling and require an earphone for playback, you can consider the Plantronics CS50 USB (CS60 in Europe and Australia) or the Hybrid Plantronics CS55. These are available from Knowbrainer.  Equally as good with Dragon Version 9 in terms of accuracy and noise canceling in our testing is the VXI Bluetooth B10 Headset. This is available for use:

1. With Bluetooth enabled computers as the B150-GTX.
  2. With the Bluetooth USB Dongle which gives this a 100m (300' range)
  3. With the B1000 base station that connects to the USB port of your computer.

Martin

Martin Markoe - BANNED USER: This user has been banned from these forums

02/26/2007 12:27 AM

Jomark
Top-Tier Member

martin

Thank you for your input and advice. I will see what is available locally.

Jomark

DPI 15, KB2017, SpeechStart+, MS Office 2010 Professional

02/25/2007 04:41 PM

PaulC

To all those who responded, thanks for your advice. It looks like it's time to retire my trusty old helpers and get something with a bit more accuracy. I am tempted to go wireless but a wired option is considerably cheaper. Choices, choices...

Paul
KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Microphones and Sound Cards » Better Microphone

Statistics
30038 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 214 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 216 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.