KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to transcribe wav files from my Sony Digital recorder?
Topic Summary: Sony no longer compatible w/Dragon, so how can I retrieve 50 files I dictated into it?
Created On: 07/08/2020 12:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 07/08/2020 12:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SLSmith

Months ago, before I endured a long illness, I dictated 50 important notes into my Sony ICD P 620 digital recorder.

I'd always used Sound Organizer and Dragon (my current version is 15 Professional) to transcribe recordings with no problems. Now I've recovered frommy illness and tried to do it again--but all I get is an error message (“The format of the file C:\programData\Sony Corporation\Sound Organizer\autotranscription\temp\000.wav is invalid") and my computer freezes--Task Manager won't kill Sound Organizer, so I have to reboot.

I've read a KnowBrainer 2018 response to someone with a similar problem ("we believe that Nuance may have dropped Sony proprietary file support"). I'm left with two questions:

1) Must I buy a new digital recorder in order to resume dictating and transcribing notes?

2) How can I turn my Sony wav files into text on a page? I don't relish listening to each one and trying to type them up manually.

I have zero background in this sort of thing, so please explain this as you would to your grandmother (I'm probably old enough to qualify).

-------------------------
SLSmith
 07/09/2020 02:38 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Advanced Member

Hi!

Audio recordings can be created with different quality settings, which influences the so-called "bitrate" of the recording. This value tells you how much data per second of audio is being recorded.

Dragon needs recordings where your voice is being sampled at least 22.000 times per second, which results in a bitrate of 352 kBit/s.

If you look at your file in Windows Explorer, right click the file and select "Properties" from the menu, you should get a window with several tabs. One of them is "Details" and for audio files you should be able to find the bitrate of this particular file there.

If this value is less than 352 kBit/s for your recording you have to find a way to configure your Sony recorder to create higher quality recordings. Your manual should tell you how to do it.

Existing recordings probably could be converted to a format Dragon can process (with some loss of precision, though), but I don't know any built-in tools that can do this easily for a not so computer-affine person.

All the tools I know are not well-suited for "grandmas"

Hope this helps,

mav

07/09/2020 11:52 AM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

I'm going to guess that your recorder can export MP3 files. Try exporting them as MP3 files, accept the defaults, and try that.

If that doesn't work, I think AVS4You provides a free audio file converter tool to convert from WAV to MP3. I think there are other such free tools around too. I've never had Dragon fail to transcribe an MP3 file from any of my recorder (3 or 4 different brands) over the years.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones

07/10/2020 01:34 AM

Author Icon
Mav
Advanced Member

Hi again!

Now that I re-read your original message I stumbled across the Sound Organizer part.

While I don't know this program, I assume that's the one transferring the original files from your voice recorder to your PC, correct?

If so, it could be possible that Sound Organizer performs the conversion to wav, but without being able to take a look at your system it's really hard to tell.

If you want you can direct message one of those wav files to me and I can take a look at the format and try to find out how to convert it into a Dragon-friendly format.

Regards,

mav

07/10/2020 05:55 AM

Author Icon
SLSmith

Many thanks for the replies. I'm starting to work on the suggestions and will report back. Things go slowly here, these days.

SLSmith
Statistics
31789 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 636 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 637 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.