Ultra Portable Dictation recorder   - mobleguy - 01/09/2020 02:44 AM  
 Ultra Portable Dictation recorder   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/09/2020 11:54 AM  
 Ultra Portable Dictation recorder   - mobleguy - 01/09/2020 02:26 PM  
Keyword
 01/08/2020 01:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mobleguy

Is anyone using an ultra portable voice/memo recorder for dictating notes while out and about. 

I am open to a keychain, clip mp3 player/recorder,  smart or semi smartwatch.  It would just be nice if the smartwatch were able to record audio when I am not around my phone. Long ago I saw  a bluetooth headset/earbud that had built-in memory that one could record voice memos to. I cannot find it online because it is really hard searching past all the memo/voice recorder apps.

A plus would be if it somehow helped organize voice recordings  (ie I can put different recordings in different folders with a flick of a swtich.  Even better if I could change what folder a recording is going into with out having to look at the device, like when out running.

Noise canceling also a plus.

I realize that it is likely what I am looking for is not a premium hardware.  My hope is that somone here has stumbled upon something. I have been using Dragon 13 and now 15 with a really cheap lapel mic I stumbled upon ($17 bucks from Fifine).  It is clipped on my desk in front of me  Even though it was very inexpensive, it does have noise canceling of some type.

Anyone have any experience with anything?

(Corrected some typos etc)

01/08/2020 03:23 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Inexpensive recorder knowledge is not in our wheelhouse but wouldn't it be more convenient, not to mention free, to use your cell phone which includes this capability? Having your cell phone close to you is now pretty much the norm because of the emergency factor. How are you going to call 911 when you are trying to get away from your wife who is using your golf clubs to bash through your car windshield, when you are trying to escape? What happens if your wife accidentally drives over you a few times in the driveway? What if your wife accidentally turns you into a target and is firing at you with her 357 Magnum or am I possibly over sharing  

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

01/09/2020 02:44 AM

Author Icon
mobleguy

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt Inexpensive recorder knowledge is not in our wheelhouse but wouldn't it be more convenient, not to mention free, to use your cell phone which includes this capability? Having your cell phone close to you is now pretty much the norm because of the emergency factor. How are you going to call 911 when you are trying to get away from your wife who is using your golf clubs to bash through your car windshield, when you are trying to escape? What happens if your wife accidentally drives over you a few times in the driveway? What if your wife accidentally turns you into a target and is firing at you with her 357 Magnum or am I possibly over sharing  

I think in these situations a panic/sos button might be more helpful than a smartphone!

To clarify, it does not need to be inexpensive.  Just at a certain point it might make more sense to get a standalone ultra "smartwatch" that can work without a smartphone altogether.   I am willing to settle for something with subpar hardware (if it gets the job done) because ultra portable does not seem to be something most of the big names in digital recorders are focused on.  Maybe I am wrong. If there is an ultra portable premium hardware voice recorder, I am willing to take a look, but most of them seem to be hand held devices.  

In some cases it is more convenient to use a smartphone app- however I have found most voice memos apps somewhat limited.  While some of this might change with android 10- I have had difficulty finding an app that can record voice memos via a Bluetooth headset.  The one that I found that does do this, does not have a way to pause voice memos. It can just record.  It would be ideal if I could trigger and pause a memo using the buttons on the headset.  

Beyond that, it currently is does not seem possible to make quick or extended voice memos using an android app while you are simultaneously using the smartphone for something else.  For instance, to my knowledge it is not possible to make a quick/extended voice memo while on a conference call or while listening/reviewing media on the smartphone.  A significant amount of the time, this is when I need to make a quick voice memo. Having an external and separate device is a way to achieve this.

Again, it is quite possible something exists.  It is a big wide world of tech out there

01/09/2020 11:54 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Thank you for clarifying. Your “record a quick note while on your cell phone” is an excellent example of what you need. We have little knowledge of small digital recorders but most of them should suffice and work “OK” (like the commercial). You don't need to purchase anything that includes a transferring utility so this basically opens your choices to nearly any recorder that conveniently fits in your hand. If your recorder includes a USB port, in most cases, you should also be able to use Dragon's AutoTranscribe Folder Agent, if you choose. Sorry we can't make a better recommendation but if it helps, it's probably hard for you to make a mistake on this purchase.

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

01/09/2020 02:26 PM

Author Icon
mobleguy

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt If your recorder includes a USB port, in most cases, you should also be able to use Dragon's AutoTranscribe Folder Agent, if you choose.

That would be great. I assume when the drive was present  dragon would just transcribe

No apologies necessary. There is a wealth of knowledge and information on this forum thanks to you and all the members.  In time I hope to contribute more as I learn more.

I will look for something ultraportable with a USB port to begin with. Alternatively a smartwatch with more functionality and the ability to record a voice memo without being connected to a phone. I do believe the Apple Watch does this, however I am not an Apple user.

Statistics
31789 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 563 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 565 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.