buying a digital dictation recorder   - kkkwj - 11/20/2019 12:46 PM  
Keyword
 11/18/2019 05:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
LnDictating
Top-Tier Member

Hi,

I am back after many years of quietly and successfully using DNS.  Thanks to the help of many people.

My recorder (Philips DPM 8000) fell in the water and the imput does not work. So, I have to buy a new one. I would appreciate your experience based advice.

My Phillips recorder was never as accurate as recording DNS on my PC. Maybe that has improved??

The Phillips software on the PC for doing the transcription in an automated fashion never worked in Japan, so starting the dictation process was a many step process.  The problem seemed to have something to do with a Japanese Windows patch defense against North Korean spying.  I can't remove it and my PC has Japanese software running it.  Maybe I could change my OS in the USA, but have no experience.  Anyway, this is not a huge problem.

More important, I am constantly moving from "record" to "pause" and back again.  Outside where I usually am, the sunlight is bright so I have difficulty seeing if the screen.  There is other no obvious sensory indication that I am in the right mode.  If I do not pause the recorder, eventually the recording ability would deteriorate.

Here are my goals and situation.  I am trying to avoid sitting at a PC for long hours.  Trying to take a long walk and get work done too.  To increase that time that I walk outside, I use a Phillips dictation recorder.  At the same time, I am listening to a recording through a headphone.  The recorder is being used to take notes on what I am hearing. I do not want to constantly put the mic near my mouth.  My arm gets cramped. I want to be freely moving them as I walk.  And I want accuracy.  So, I bought a good mic to attach to the recorder.  It was working ok until the recorder was in my pocket and accidently fell in water.  Now I have devised a glove to "glue (velcrose) the recorder to my hand".  Learned my lesson.  :-o

(Now I am using the mic through the headphone jack and the accuracy has greatly reduced.)

Summary of objectives:

1. Easy to identify through finger touch buttons to pause and start dictation. 

2. Ability to dictate through a mic.

3. Accuracy of dictation using DNS

4.  It would be nice if the PC ditial recorder software worked using a Japanese Windows program, but that is not a deal breaker.

Thanks,

Ellen Madono

-------------------------

MacDicate VXI TalkPro5 and  DNS Premium Win 8.1 Knowbrainer 2015 Travel TableMic

More capable on a Mac than on a PC.

11/19/2019 02:45 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You really don't need any digital recorder utility such as what came with your DPM8000 or the popular Olympus DS-9500. All you have to do is set Dragon's AutoTranscribe Folder Agent to process recordings directly from your recorder. In other words your Japanese OS shouldn't be an issue.

You mentioned that you accidentally dropped your SMP 8000 into a water puddle. Are you still able to use it? If not, have you tried soaking your unit in high-octane rubbing alcohol? No need to purchase an Olympus DS-9500 unless you need a new unit.

The buttons on any professional recorder, like your SMP 8000 are easy to use because you primarily use to slide button in 2 positions. All the way up is record and down one click is pause. You don't have to look at your recorder.

Our favorite analog microphone is the Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW because it is extremely noise filtering. You can remove the extension cord so that you only have to deal with a 5 feet audio cable and the microphone goes around the back of your head so that you can wear a hat (hat not required). Accuracy should be equivalent to the built-in condenser microphone.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

11/20/2019 12:07 AM

Author Icon
LnDictating
Top-Tier Member

I realized after writing the description of my situation that a light turns on at the top of the recorder when it is recording. I have been known many times to record when the recorder is not on. So, that problem is solved.
Also, the light for automatic set up the recording does not come on. So, that is not possible to use.
I will try the high octane alcohol. Maybe that will solve the problem.
If it does work, the next step is to get a better headset, if that is actually the problem.
Thank you Lunis.
Ellen Madono

MacDicate VXI TalkPro5 and  DNS Premium Win 8.1 Knowbrainer 2015 Travel TableMic

More capable on a Mac than on a PC.

11/20/2019 12:46 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

I use a couple of inexpensive Panasonic RR-XS410 recorders for my offline recording. It has a voice operated recording feature so you don't have to keep pressing the record buttons on and off (which creates a new MP3 file to transcribe each time you do that). I imagine that in noisy environments the vox would constantly stay on, defeating the purpose of it.

Accuracy with the autotranscribe agent is pretty good. I tested out a few different mics for walking outside and my favorite was a $20? Olympus directional lapel mic from Amazon. Search the forum here and you might find the details.

I stood on the corner of the busiest highway through town to test recording. Big tractor trailers going by 3-4 feet away from me at the intersection lights. There was about zero loss of transcription accuracy compared to walking down a quiet street with leafy trees.

There was a noticeable difference in accuracy compared to my quiet office and Samson Meteor desk mic and powerful computer, but that should be expected.

Another thing I've had great success with is recording into my smart phone and saving the MP3 file to a Dropbox folder that my desktop computer autotranscribe agent watches. When I save the file, Dropbox copies the file to my desktop where the agent grabs it and converts it to a Word.doc file. Everything is ready for me when I sit at my computer again. Good luck.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones

Statistics
31789 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 578 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 580 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.