Created On: 03/07/2015 06:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 03/07/2015 06:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
alt

Hi,

We have DS5000's using DSS Pro Player R5 Dictation / Transcription.

We migrated from XP to Win 8 machines.

I read online that to save the user folder settings, to take the .xml file from the WinXP machine - \documents and settings\users\USER\Olympus\DSS Player\FILE.xml

We did this and copied it to the Win 8 profile: \users\USER\appdata\Olympus\DSS Player\FILE.xml

However, when I launch DSS Player in the Win8 machine, all files in the above appdata folder disappear! Hence it does not show the folder settings from WinXP

Can you help?? We did successfully manage to get one of the Transcription PC's with the correct folder settings in Win8, but I don't know how to copy those settings? Even if we could get this much done it would be a good start

Thank you

03/07/2015 03:19 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World's Most Popular Speech Recognition Forum

The simplest solution is to upgrade to the DSS Player Pro 7 utility which is inexpensive and fully Windows 8.1 compatible. This will eliminate the need of playing games with the Ver. 5 utility.

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

03/07/2015 07:59 PM

Author Icon
alt

Thanks for the response.

The software installed no problems on the 8.1 machines, and somehow I managed to migrate the folder settings on ONE of the machines! I am not sure if I have the need to change software, I am thinking there is a workaround. But, I am open to your guys suggestions.

If you say above, to upgrade to Pro 7, would I be able to import folder settings from R5 on the XP machines?

I can't remember how I managed to restore one of the Transcription module settings on one PC, but won't work with the others?!
 03/08/2015 01:20 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

There is probably a master .ini file that records your options but we don't know where it is or if it would work in the DSS Player Pro 7 utility. However, perhaps more importantly, if you're DSS Player Pro 5 utility is functioning in Windows 8, don't upset the apple cart and stay with what you have.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

03/08/2015 07:26 PM

Author Icon
alt

PROBLEM SOLVED!

DSS Player Pro 5, and the old foot-pedal are working fine in Windows 8.

To restore the folder settings, I imported the XML file into: c:\users\USER\appdata\roaming\ instead of c:\users\USER\appdata\local

All appears to be good now! Hopefully this info will help someone in the future
 03/09/2015 01:57 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Our apologies for the previous bad advice. We were informed that the DSS Player Pro 5 utility was not Windows 8 compatible. Obviously that advice was incorrect and thank you for reporting your progress.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

Statistics
31795 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 527 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 528 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.