KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Recorder for noisy car
Topic Summary: Recording in moving car on Highway.
Created On: 01/30/2012 05:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Recorder for noisy car   - Mexicomike - 01/30/2012 05:33 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - gcarson - 01/30/2012 06:17 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - MDH - 01/30/2012 06:57 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - R. Wilke - 01/30/2012 06:59 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - MDH - 01/30/2012 07:09 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Mexicomike - 01/30/2012 08:49 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - gcarson - 02/03/2012 02:58 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - MDH - 02/03/2012 03:34 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Mexicomike - 02/03/2012 11:41 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Rag - 02/10/2012 12:34 AM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/10/2012 01:06 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Mexicomike - 02/11/2012 10:20 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/12/2012 01:12 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Mexicomike - 02/12/2012 03:21 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/13/2012 02:33 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Mexicomike - 02/28/2012 09:56 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - R. Wilke - 02/29/2012 07:14 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Mexicomike - 02/29/2012 11:45 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - R. Wilke - 03/01/2012 01:43 AM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/29/2012 10:22 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Mexicomike - 02/29/2012 11:47 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Mexicomike - 02/11/2012 10:14 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/30/2012 09:11 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Mexicomike - 01/30/2012 10:02 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Chucker - 01/31/2012 04:35 AM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/31/2012 12:50 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Mexicomike - 01/31/2012 06:01 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Chucker - 01/31/2012 07:32 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Mexicomike - 01/31/2012 09:29 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Lunis Orcutt - 01/31/2012 09:56 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Mexicomike - 02/03/2012 11:29 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - eye will - 03/11/2012 07:53 PM  
 Recorder for noisy car   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/12/2012 03:02 PM  
Keyword
 01/30/2012 05:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Mexicomike

I am considering upgrading to one of your digital recorders. I have been using a Sony ICD – PX820 with mixed results. I record travel information (for example reading a road sign noting landmarks mileage and turn – by – turn directions) in a car moving down the highway. Because of the Highway noise and engine noise the recordings are difficult for Dragon to transcribe. I have Dragon premium 11.5. I have tried microphones with and without noise canceling and tried cleaning the files with software to no avail.

Will the digital recorders you recommend really help in this environment or is this just not a scenario where software transcription will work. What I have gathered from comments is that the recording quality of the lesser priced recorder you offer is just as good as the higher-priced. It is just a question of whether I need the additional features. Is this correct? And while using a microphone would seem to be ideal I have found it to be very difficult. So let me know if that is the only way to get a decent record using your equipment.

The windows are up, the air conditioning is quiet (I have tried with the A/C on and off and it doesn't make much difference), the radio is always off, and the car sounds quiet to my ears. But in the recordings you can hear a pretty constant HUM. I speak directly into the recorder in a normal voice. Oh and I am not driving, I have a driver. Plus I do this in Mexico so there are many words in Spanish which Dragon is able to learn. But many words in English are translated to him him him as others have noted.

So please offer me some suggestions on a new recorder and how to record better in the car. Thank you.

-------------------------

DNS Pro 11.5 - Windows 7 64 Bit - Intel Core I-7 - 16 GB Ram
www.mexicomike.com

01/30/2012 06:17 PM

gcarson
Advanced Member

I dictate all the time while I'm driving and I always use the Knowbrainer noise-cancelling headset mike. It works great, eliminating all of the background noise even when I've got the windows down. I never have any trouble with my transcriptions.

Compaq 6730b laptop Intel Core 2 Duo p8400 2.26 Ghz 1.93 G RAM (available) Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 adapter / Windows XP SP3 / Knowbrainer purchases: Philips 9600 DPM, Knowbrainer headset microphone, Samson Airline 77, Olympus DS5000id, DNS 10.1, Knowbrainer 2008, Parrott Half Duplex VXI USB Sound Pod

01/30/2012 06:57 PM

Author Icon
MDH
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
I dictate all the time while I'm driving ...I never have any trouble with my transcriptions.

How about accidents???

Please let us know when and where you will be doing this so that we can avoid this danger.

MDH

01/30/2012 06:59 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Mark,

nice new avatar you got here. So is that the current "gold standard"? - You know, it's a lot like moving targets.

Rüdiger

01/30/2012 07:09 PM

Author Icon
MDH
Top-Tier Member

Rudiger,

No, this is the gold standard--attached.

MDH

M. garrettii.jpg
M. garrettii.jpg  (15 KB)

01/30/2012 08:49 PM

Author Icon
Mexicomike

Thank you so much for the microphone information gcarson. What digital recorder do you use? Thanks

www.mexicomike.com

02/03/2012 02:58 PM

gcarson
Advanced Member

"How about accidents???"

I'm not sure why people think dictating while you're driving is so dangerous. I've been doing it for years (with a headset mike) on an almost daily basis and I don't find it any more distracting than talking to a passenger while I'm driving. And I think it actually keeps me more alert. If I'm driving along by myself with the radio turned off, just staring at the road, I tend to zone out after a while.

Dictating or talking on cell phones while you're driving is only distracting if you start messing around with the recorder or the phone. That's the distracting part. I mean, most people can drive and talk at the same time, just like most people can listen to the radio while they're driving (or a sound system--how many people drive around with music blasting at jet engine levels?)

I leave the recorder lying on the seat beside me and if I have to start a new file or whatever, I'll wait until I pull up to a stop sign or something unless there's no traffic. I use a DS5000id, so it's easy to reach down and pause the thing or stop the recording if I need to. The slide switch makes it simple to operate by touch and I never need to take my eyes off the road. It's a matter of common sense, really. If I'm in traffic or whatever and have to concentrate on my driving, I turn the recorder off.

Compaq 6730b laptop Intel Core 2 Duo p8400 2.26 Ghz 1.93 G RAM (available) Intel Wireless Wifi Link 5100 adapter / Windows XP SP3 / Knowbrainer purchases: Philips 9600 DPM, Knowbrainer headset microphone, Samson Airline 77, Olympus DS5000id, DNS 10.1, Knowbrainer 2008, Parrott Half Duplex VXI USB Sound Pod

02/03/2012 03:34 PM

Author Icon
MDH
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
I'm not sure why people think dictating while you're driving is so dangerous. I've been doing it for years (with a headset mike) on an almost daily basis and I don't find it any more distracting than talking to a passenger while I'm driving....Dictating or talking on cell phones while you're driving is only distracting if you start messing around with the recorder or the phone.

We will need to agree to disagree. As you may be aware, many cities and states have laws making it illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving. I once had a patient whose job was to teach school bus driving safety to all of the school bus drivers in our large school district. But once, in her private car, she ran a stop sign (or stop light) while talking on her cell phone--she was decapitated. The person on the other end of the phone call told her children what happened, and they told me.

A head-set microphone doesn't work well without a head.

MDH

02/03/2012 11:41 PM

Author Icon
Mexicomike

I'm glad to see you again GCarson. Your posting that you were able to transcribe your notes from a handheld recorder being used in a moving car with the windows down gave me hope to pursue this. So your post was very important to me and I appreciate your taking the time to make it.

Having driven Mexico (where you need to pay much more attention to the highways and traffic than in the States) and dictated to a human being in the front seat for 20 years I side with you. (I write guidebooks for drivers - mile by mile descriptions or roadlogs). I do not think that dictating per se is dangerous unless,  as I once tried to do, you are dictating a novel. That was too distracting. But when you're dictating facts or nonfiction I think there is a higher level of awareness than if you were just involved in a conversation. I agree that fiddling with a recorder is suicidal, having tried that in the old tape days. I will not do it now. When I was young I did a lot of stupid things.

I agree that cell phone use should be banned because people concentrate on what the other person says and what they say and are often distracted - angry, sad, romantically dew-eyed and so on. By the same token one of the most dangerous distractions in the car is children. No one has a solution for that type of distraction. And texting while driving should be a capital offense.

www.mexicomike.com

02/10/2012 12:34 AM

Rag
Top-Tier Member

I have used the DS 2400 and I have the DS 3400. Both are excellent recorders and like has been said I can't see any accuracy advantage over the other. For a noisy place you need to have a good headset mic in there or a "stubb" mic such as the ME15. The only other digi voice recorder I have tried is an old sony ICD SX7 (around 2002). It was really good and I still have it as a back up. Again it needed the stubb mic or headset. I would say that the Olympus ones are better in terms of accuracy.
 02/10/2012 01:06 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

There shouldn't be any accuracy difference between the DS-2400, DS-3400 or DS-5000 because they use the same integrated microphone, circuitry and more importantly, the same algorithms. However, we wouldn't necessarily recommend the snub nose ME15 snub nose microphone because the noise cancellation is somewhat limited. What the ME15 microphone does fairly well is extend the range for someone who wants to dictate with a digital recorder from within their shirt pocket. If you're looking for inexpensive reasonably good noise cancellation, we recommend adding the KnowBrainer Hands-free wired headset microphone but if you're in a high noise situation such as a ragtop Jeep Wrangler, windows down, noisy kids or standing on the lower wing of a biplane in-flight, you might want to bump it up to the Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW microphone (w/KB PLUS PACK). Neither of these microphones include speakers which should make them ideal for your type of work. Both microphones also feature a 6 foot breakaway cable that you can optionally leave out while traveling so that you only have a 4 feet of cord between the headset and your recorder.

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

02/11/2012 10:20 PM

Author Icon
Mexicomike

Thanks, Lunis, I think that the KnowBrainer hands-free would do for me as the windows are up, the A/C on, but not a noisy item, no kids and one other guy in the car who usually keeps his mouth shut when i am dictating. But an ordering question. If I order it, try it out, and it isn't working for me, could I 'upgrade' the the higher-end model by applying the $ I spent, or would I just have to buy a new one at full price and keep the KnowBrainer as a souvenir?

www.mexicomike.com

02/12/2012 01:12 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Everything on our website includes a 30 day customer satisfaction guarantee so you won't have to worry about sending back your microphone. We additionally agree that the KnowBrainer Hands-free would probably work fine for you. However, to save time, should any microphone not work out for you, simply contact us for an RMA and we will refund your purchase price upon, receiving your return. This frees you up to immediately purchase another microphone rather than having to wait.

02/12/2012 03:21 PM

Author Icon
Mexicomike

OK, got it Lunis. I apologize for not having read it first. People do that on my web site store and I wonder what is wrong with them. Now i know. It is contagious. Here is what I really hope is about the last of my questions.

I see that the DS5000 has a slider on the side and I am pretty sure that will let me pause a recording. I have looked at the enhanced pictures of the DS2400 and the DS3400 and DS5000. The slide on the DS5000 seems like a mixed blessing. I carry the recorder in a pouch on my belt and wonder if the slider would activate easily by pulling it in and out? I had a problem with my old Sony and others that when i put them in my shirt pocket, the 'Play' button frequently got depressed and my shirt started talking. It was more embarrassing when I carried them in my pants pockets. The DS2400 and 3400 seem to have buttons on the side. I wonder if they are easily depressed? (Not to get all Freudian on you).

Lastly, one issue that I think a new recorder will solve is that frequently I would record directions 'Go left here and ...." and 1/2 mile down the road find out that there was a better way. So I would transcribe all the directions and then have to go back and erase some of them. Is the edit function on the DS2400 sufficient to handle that for me - let me put a note at the beginning of the file to ignore it for instance, or do i need a higher model. Just deleting the files is not the solution because there will also be good info in the brief recording.

Even more lastly - will the pause feature work good enough on the 2400 so that (allowing for a slight delay) I can make one long recording instead of the hundred or so very short ones I now make? Or is this something that is much, much better in the higher number models? I read somewhere in a review that the DS5000 made it to easy to erase everything with the touch of a button. That true?

I will be leaving for an updating trip next month or so, which means I am close to needing to buy, but not in a rush and want to make the right decsions. The money-back guarantee is great, but if I do my homework first, should not have to bother you. The Knowbrainer headset is already decided upon, thanks to your advice.

www.mexicomike.com

02/13/2012 02:33 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The Sony handheld recorder division is entirely consumer grade, meaning they simply don't have the R&D funding to do it right. Companies like Philips, Grundig and Olympus have had it right for a long time because they cater to a purely professional market. It's basically a combination of being able to easily move the slider control without the slider control moving itself in your pocket. We have never heard a complaint about the DS-5000 turning itself on and we have never experienced it. We carry a DS-5000 with us all the time for taking quick notes.

There are no edit, cue, review or punch-in capabilities on the DS-2400 because it is a consumer grade recorder. The only reason we offer the DS-2400 is because it utilizes the Olympus DS2 algorithms. When you click the Record button on a professional recorder (like the DS-5000/3400) you amend to the original recording but when you click the Record button on a consumer recorder, it creates a brand-new recording every time. The only way you can amend a recording, on the DS-2400, is if you use Pause but this creates an unwanted glitch which NaturallySpeaking can misrecognize as unwanted dictation. We can only recommend the professional models for your type of work.
 Although it's relatively painless to delete a recording from the DS-5000, we think it's fairly easy on most pro and consumer recorders. The DS-5000 has a lot of other appreciable amenities such as the 26 hour rechargeable battery that can be substituted with a pair of AAA batteries, if you get into a jam. The recorder has a huge 1 Gb 12 to 1 lossless compressed built-in memory but there is even an option to add a secondary SD card. Besides the expected cue and review feature, you can also seamlessly punch into the middle of recording without adding an audible pop as you would in most other recorders.

We rarely delete files from our DS-5000 because this is taken care of automatically by the DSS Player Pro application. As soon as we insert the DS-5000 into the USB cradle, the battery starts charging, the files automatically download to our computer and are simultaneously deleted from the recorder. We can then delete any unnecessary extra files from within the DSS Player Pro application.

02/28/2012 09:56 PM

Author Icon
Mexicomike

Thanks for all your help. I have almost saved enough money to buy the DS-5000 and the KnowBrainer Hands-free

I have a question about the microphone. Can this be used with my PC too? I realize I would probably have to get one of your soundcards that plugs into the USB port, but as far as I can see, the mic only has one plug and the soundcards have two. Do I need another type of mic for the PC? Thanks.

Oh heck, another question. Do you think it will be possible for me to play the existing recordings into a speaker and have the DS-5000 record them, thus enabling DNS to transcribe them? Or is this unlikely with the original quality being inferior? I could dictate my old recordings into the new DS-5000 and THEN trascribe, but was hoping there was an easier way. Thanks.

www.mexicomike.com

02/29/2012 07:14 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
Do you think it will be possible for me to play the existing recordings into a speaker and have the DS-5000 record them, thus enabling DNS to transcribe them?

Rather than that, I would look into digitizing the previous recordings into any compatible format, such as WAV, WMA, or MP3, if they aren't already digital, and transcribe from there. Most likely, knowing because I have and use a DS-5000 myself, you will have a hard time setting up a speaker system and positioning the device accordingly in order to achieve input matching what you get from dictating straight into it.

Rüdiger

02/29/2012 11:45 PM

Author Icon
Mexicomike

Thanks. Yes they are digital now but were recorded with a consumer grade recorder and DSN has a hard time with them, which is why i am buying the DS-5000. What I was hoping was that getting them into the DS-5000 somehow would enable DSN to "hear" them. I think i "hear" you that simply won't happen, am I right? Thank you.

www.mexicomike.com

03/01/2012 01:43 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
What I was hoping was that getting them into the DS-5000 somehow would enable DSN to "hear" them. I think i "hear" you that simply won't happen, am I right?

You might try it anyway. You might also compare both methods to each other, on a particular text, and also compare the recording from the "consumer grade" device with them. I'd be much interested in the results.

Rüdiger

02/29/2012 10:22 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You definitely want to avoid the unnecessary step of introducing an unnecessary analog step (rerecording recordings played through a speaker). Rüdiger's recommendation would be far more preferable, assuming that the recordings are of good quality. 

The KnowBrainer hands-free microphone is 1 of our biggest sellers and long before we found out it made a good digital recorder microphone, we were using it for speech recognition so the short answer is yes, with a USB soundcard, it would be ideally suited to NaturallySpeaking.

02/29/2012 11:47 PM

Author Icon
Mexicomike

Thanks, Lunis. Will get them both.

www.mexicomike.com

02/11/2012 10:14 PM

Author Icon
Mexicomike

Thanks, Rag for a very good evaluation for me. I appreciate it.

www.mexicomike.com

01/30/2012 09:11 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World’s Most Popular Speech Recognition Forum

We only recommend digital recorders that utilize the Olympus DS2 algorithms which we have found to be more accurate than other types of digital recorders. All of the digital on our website (Grundig, Philips and Olympus) utilize DS2 algorithms. These recorders also tend to be a bit more noise canceling than anything Sony has to offer. If you're looking for the highest accuracy in a consumer grade unit, you might want to check out the DS-2400. The DS-2400 lacks a rechargeable battery, pro interfacing software, cue and review, punch in, cradle or a slider control but the most important feature is the previously mentioned DS2 algorithms. The only thing we really dislike about the DS-2400 is that, like your current unit, every time you click the Record button, you create a new recording as opposed to amending to the current recording like other professional recorders.

Although these recorders are a bit more noise canceling, gcarson brought up an excellent point. If you're going to work in a noisy environment, get a good noise canceling microphone. If you are price conscious, the KnowBrainer Hands-free wired headset microphone will probably be more than adequate but if you want the absolute best accuracy and the absolute best noise canceling, go for the new Audio-Technica Pro 8HEmW microphone (w/KB PLUS PACK) which includes a 6 foot breakaway cable that you can leave at the Office because the headset already includes a 4 foot cable which is perfect for your recorder. Of course the KnowBrainer hands-free also features the same breakaway cable option.

01/30/2012 10:02 PM

Author Icon
Mexicomike

Thank you, Lunis. In looking at the DS-2400, I see there's a ? by microphone jack feature. ??

Also I like the voice activation feature but in the many recorders I have owned over the years it has never worked very well so what using the microphone you suggested make it more efficient? What I mean is will that keep it from picking out extraneous sounds that start a recording too soon?

I am also looking at your DS-5000 and the other higher and recorders. You brought up a point about amending a recording. This interests me because I will dictate perhaps 100 short entries in a day. Are you saying this will pau asked the and then continue when I start a new entry? If so that is important. Can you explain briefly how this works or direct me to an FAQ? Thank you

www.mexicomike.com

01/31/2012 04:35 AM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
Also I like the voice activation feature but in the many recorders I have owned over the years it has never worked very well so what using the microphone you suggested make it more efficient? What I mean is will that keep it from picking out extraneous sounds that start a recording too soon?

Mexicomike,

You may like the voice activation feature (VAC), but, unfortunately, you cannot use this feature with Dragon. In fact, if you carefully read the documentation and the Dragon Help, you will note that this feature should be turned off. The reason for this is simply the fact that this feature causes significant dropouts and can result in your DVR recorded dictation failing to transcribe either properly or at all. In short, using Voice Activation is a no-no. It has never worked, and it never will, with or without a noise canceling mic.

If you're having difficulty locating this information, search on the Dragon help for "configure your recorder".

You won't get much better than the Olympus DS 5000 digital voice recorder because Olympus and Philips both use the DS2 lossless compression format. This format compresses your audio files without losing any quality, and this particular microphone will provide you with the highest quality digital recording. Unfortunately, DNS 10.1 does not support the direct transcription of DS2 files. That capability is only available in DNS 11.5. However, the software does provide easy conversion to any of the audio file formats supported in DNS 10.1.

I'll allow Lunis to provide more detail as well as any of the other DVR's that he considers equivalent to and/or better than the DS 5000.

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC
Home of VoicePower®: We don't make Dragon NaturallySpeaking, we make it better!

Be careful what you wish for.  You may find that what you get is not what you expect, or what you want. - Aesop (620 BC - 700 BC modern interpretation)

01/31/2012 12:50 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
Thank you, Lunis. In looking at the DS-2400, I see there's a ? by microphone jack feature. B?

All of the recorders on our website include a microphone input jack but we suspect that you'd be hard-pressed to find a digital recorder without it.

Quote:
Also I like the voice activation feature

Chuck definitely nailed it. You simply can't use VAC. NaturallySpeaking actually works best if you have leave about 2 seconds of silence at the beginning of the recording. VAC is fast but you will still lose the 1st syllable of the 1st word you attempt to dictate and as previously noted, NaturallySpeaking could really use a couple of seconds.

Professional recorders are all designed for stop and go dictation. We prefer to think of it as frequent interruptions even though in our case, we are more likely attempting to collect our thoughts. Consumer grade recorders are typically designed to be multipurpose and include the ability to record music. With the exception of the new Grundig units, professional grade recorders are specifically designed for 1 purpose only; dictation. Because stop and go dictation is considered to be standard practice, professional recorders include amenities such as a slider control that eliminates having to look at the buttons while working. When you slide the button up, you are recording. When you slide the switch down 1 notch, you stop the recording or more to the point, a glitchless pause. The reason why we mention this is because consumer grade recorders also have a Pause button but unfortunately it doesn't work the same as this technique leaves unwanted noise in your recording which winds up being transcribed as unwanted text; typically “Him him him”. Unfortunately, consumer grade recorders create a new recording if you completely stop your current recording while all professional recorders, by default, amend the current recording unless you click the New button.

Although your tag still says Ver. 10.1, we can see that you upgraded to Premium 11.5 which will be a notable advantage when using a digital recorder. We have not yet finished our Battle of the Digital Recorders Review and even though the new Grundig systems offer more features, our favorite recorder is still the Olympus DS-5000. We would have given our highest ranking to the Grundig Digta 703 recorder but it requires that NaturallySpeaking not be running when you transcribe your recordings. We really don't like the idea of having to close NaturallySpeaking to transcribe a recording because we use it to run everything in our company. There's nothing like having to exit NaturallySpeaking, transcribe a recording, re-launch NaturallySpeaking, re-launch Microsoft Word, re-launch Outlook, re-launch Excel and… You get the idea.

01/31/2012 06:01 PM

Author Icon
Mexicomike

Thank you all for the great advice. Obviously the DS 5000 is the best choice although pretty expensive for me. I wonder if part of the value in it is because of the features that I would not need like encryption? Also the rechargeable batteries are a good deal for most people but for me they are a drawback because I go on a road trip for about a month at a time (sometimes to pretty remote places, not always with electricity) and having one more charger is inconvenient. The AAA batteries actually work much better for me. So I'm wondering if the Olympus DS 3400 would be a good choice? I read the shopping cart description and am still unsure if it has the feature to create a long recording like the DS 5000 (the slider control). If so that might be best for me-if the quality of the recording is essentially the same if I'm using your noise canceling microphone. If not then would I be getting much more value than in the DS 2400? I'm definitely going to buy something and buy it here because of all the expert guidance. So I hope the somewhat esoteric questions of mine are not out of line.

Regarding the voice activation feature I actually had pretty much lost hope that it would ever work well and you all have confirmed that opinion. Also I noticed that none of the records I've ever used not even going back to old tape recorders missed the first couple of words so I begin each dictation with "and so to begin…"

Again thank you.

www.mexicomike.com

01/31/2012 07:32 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Mexicomike,

First, the only difference between the DS 5000 and the DS 2400 is basically getting used to the difference in the controls and getting comfortable with using them.

You won't find any difference in audio quality. Overall between the DS 5000 the DS 2400 in terms of overall dictation accuracy. Accuracy is better in DNS 11.5 than it is in DNS 10.1, but that's a function of Dragon not the DVR make or model when it comes to these two recorders. For the most part, accuracy is up to you and your dictation style.

Second, the DS 2400 uses the same DS2 software and compression algorithm as the DS 5000. Unfortunately, while you still have to use one of the compatible audio file formats supported by DNS 10.1 because the DS2 file format and compression are not supported in DNS 10.1, you would be one step ahead if and when you decide to upgrade to DNS 11.5. The only current advantage that you would have is that DS2 files are very highly compressed and use lossless compression, making it easy to attach DS2 audio files to e-mails or for sending to another Olympus DS2 DVR compatible user or location. Even though MP3 files are fairly well compressed, they come nowhere near to DS2 file compression and wav files can be huge when converted for transcription from the internal DS2 file compression used by the recorder.

Lastly, you have the advantage of using standard AAA batteries with the DS 2400, which is what you say that you need. Further, you won't get any better dictation accuracy (transcription) from the DS 3400.

If you use good dictation style, the difference between the achievable accuracy amongst the various models from the DS 2400 through the DS 5000 is not that significant. I get almost perfect transcription accuracy from an old Olympus DS 1 which generally goes back to test before the end of the Civil War.

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC
Home of VoicePower®: We don't make Dragon NaturallySpeaking, We make it better!

"Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without one." -  Chinese Proverb

01/31/2012 09:29 PM

Author Icon
Mexicomike

Thanks Chuck. That was very well put I appreciate it. I don't know why my profile is still showing DNS 10 as I updated it when I got back into this form recently but I have been using DNS 11 since it came out and upgraded to 11.5 when it came out.

www.mexicomike.com

01/31/2012 09:56 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Just 1 tiny bit to add to Chuck's stellar advice… Although the DS-5000 includes a rechargeable battery pack, you can remove the battery pack and replace it with a pair of AAA batteries at any given time. The DS-5000 is designed to be as universal as it is functional. It also includes secondary metal bracing and a bullet resistant LCD screen so that you can record those occasional rough interviews in the Mexican police stations. Please note that we have never actually tested Olympus's claim about the bullet resistant screen which doesn't look like it could stop more than a spitball.

The battery pack has the advantage of lasting up to 26 hours but you may be able to get even more time out of the new
Eneloop Battery Charger or you could use alkaline batteries which last about 9 hours. Lithium batteries are a bit expensive but last about 18 hours.

02/03/2012 11:29 PM

Author Icon
Mexicomike

Thanks for that info. In the old days you read about people being saved from bullets by a Bible in a shirt pocket. So now I guess it'll be a DS–5000. But seriously that's all good advice thank you. It is great that you can remove the rechargeable batteries. Some electronics I bought recently refused to work when I exchanged the rechargeable batteries for alkaline batteries. So that is a big plus. It sounds like the DS-5000 is quite a great machine.

www.mexicomike.com

03/11/2012 07:53 PM

eye will

Numerous website seem to imply that the DS 2400 dictaphone has a partial erase, insert and overwrite. Admittedly these are European websites that I get the links to. Is the American dictaphone different. here is an example of one.

http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/2581_digital-recorder_ds-2400__-_specs_19939.htm 

I assume that partial erase is the option for me to rewind backwards a few seconds and then starting dictating again, and when the dictation is listened to it is that it was dictated correctly in one complete dictation (as if I was using a tape in a tape recorder). I also assume the insert can insert text partway through a file, or is this incorrect and it inserts a new file in front of the file that has previously been recorded. I assume that overwrite actually write the new file over the old file erasing all of the old file (or is this like rewinding and old tape in a tape machine for a short distance and then starting to record over it at that point) I hope that made sense.

I hope someone can help me out with this as your website implies that the DS 2400 does not have partial arrays and some of the comments above also imply this.

Thank you for your help. 

03/12/2012 03:02 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The only difference between the Olympus European and North American units, other than a 220 V adapter is that the slider controls perform different menu items on the professional units but that is exclusive to the DS-5000 and DS-5000id. We believe they are using a little liberal advertising with their "partial erase claim". Technically, you may be able to partially erase a recording by rewinding it to a rough position (because it lacks proper cue and review) and clicking record but at best, this would add an unwanted glitch which NaturallySpeaking will likely transcribe as unwanted dictation. The DS-2400 is well-suited to continuous dictation but we could not recommend it for stop and go dictation.

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Transcription and Digital Recorders » Recorder for noisy car

Statistics
28449 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 92 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 93 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.