KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Cannot access user which is locked by another windows session – BMJ
Topic Summary: Question From ScanSoft Forum
Created On: 01/16/2009 01:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 01/16/2009 01:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Question From ScanSoft Forum

Quote:
Naturally Speaking Version 10. Fresh install of Windows XP SP3

1 - Let me say first that it sucks that we are required to pay for technical support. If a product isn't doing what it should be doing we should be able to contact the vendor for a solution without having to pay.

2 - My problem is that often when I open up dragon Natspeak and try to open a user I get an error message - "Cannot access user xyz which is locked by another Windows session". This happens even if I have not turned Dragon on in my current windows session. (I am the only user on this computer). The only fix seems to be to reboot windows, sometimes more than once.

1. This is precisely why you shouldn't purchase your software from non-certified vendors, like Staples and Amazon, or even the manufacturer. When you typically purchase software from manufacturer licensed/certified partners you receive an extra layer of Technical Support and you can usually get an immediate answer; without paying. If you had purchased your software from our company, you would've received an immediate answer  J. Stop lining the pockets of companies that are only interested in profit$.

2. This problem actually has nothing to do with NaturallySpeaking even though it's preventing NaturallySpeaking from opening your user files. The problem is Microsoft. Microsoft insisted that software manufacturers install personal and user information at a specific address in order to obtain Windows XP and Windows Vista certification. The problem with this strategy is that you do not have full rights to those folders which contain your user files and need to be changed on a regular basis. Even senior administrators occasionally run into this problem and we can appreciate your pain. We only wish that Microsoft would listen to customer complaints over this issue because it's not necessary and we've had to suffer with it since the introduction of Windows XP.

Since Windows will not give you access to that folder, you have 2 options: #1 you could create a brand-new user profile which may eventually undergo the same problem or #2 you can move your ~ C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking10\Users\(your username)\ from its current location to your desktop or your My Documents folder where you have full REAL rights. After you move your user files, click NaturallySpeaking's Open User menu and browse to the new location. However, if you want to kick things up a notch, consider moving your user profile to a thumb drive. When you move your user profile to a thumb drive, you won't have to worry about System Restore corrupting your user profile, which happens about 75% of the time. If you'd like to learn more about moving your user profile to a flash drive look up "thumb" in our Quick Tips for a step by step.

-------------------------

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

01/16/2009 03:08 PM

BMJ

Thanks for the response Lunis. I'll buy from here when I upgrade next.

I already have my user files in My Documents (have been there since I set it up) and that's on a separate hard drive from my c drive (which should prevent the system restore problem?).

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks

Dragon preferred 10.0

Win XP SP3 

01/17/2009 11:51 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Unfortunately Windows doesn't seem to know that you have full rights so you may have to temporarily move your user profile to the desktop. We suspect this issue is caused by the fact that you are not using Drive C. The My Documents folder in Drive C probably won't have this problem.

09/22/2011 11:18 AM

Jan Bee

I got the "Cannot access user which is locked by another windows session" and tried to move my profile to the desktop by right clicking and selecting

create desktop shortcut. 

The shortcut is on my desktop but I'm still getting the same message when I try to open the program. 

Help, please?

DNS 10.0

Windows Home Premium Service Pack 1

Windows 7 Home Premium

USB Audio,Angel II Mpeg Device,Sigma Tel High Def

Andrea Anti-Noise ANC-750

09/22/2011 12:09 PM

Author Icon
edmart
Top-Tier Member

May I join the party?

I have had this message for no apparent reason a couple of times in the last fortnight. Rebooting fixes it. I have not yet tried Chuck's thought of just logging off, but I shall - that would ease the pain.

I only post because today the message was allied to Samurai Command Mode in the Spelling Window (e.g. "Choose One" gave me the two digits "2" and "7" in the middle of my phrase I had just corrected!), and also an absolute refusal to put anything on the screen in Word - even though the Recognition History showed that the dictation had been accurately recognised.

Curiouser and curiouser.

This on XPSP3 and DNS 11.5. And no, I really don't believe I have added new software recently.....

Does this combination of woes add anything to the story, I wonder?

Ed 

DNS 12.5 Pro, Windows 7 Professional, SP1, i7-2700K 3.50 Ghz Sandybridge, 16Gb DDR3 PC3-160000C9 2000Mhz dual channel RAM, SpeechMike 5276 and Samson Airline 77

09/22/2011 08:55 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
an absolute refusal to put anything on the screen in Word

This sounds more like launching NaturallySpeaking after Microsoft Word or a deactivated NaturallySpeaking add-in. Try selecting text by voice and if that fails, you'll find a step-by-step on reactivating the add-in when you look up “Microsoft” in the NaturallySpeaking Quick Tips (at the top of this page).

09/22/2011 08:42 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Creating a desktop shortcut to your user file doesn't move your user file to the desktop. It only creates a shortcut to your user folder. If you wish to move your user profile to the desktop, you will need to select it, via Windows Explorer, right-click on it, select Cut (or press {Ctrl+x}) and paste the folder on your desktop. Let us know if this works

01/22/2009 09:48 AM

shiloh

I seem to have a variation on this...

I use iDrive to perform offsite backups each night, and ever since I added the DNS user files (located at: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking10\Users\(your username)\ ) to the backup set, I get the same message the next morning.  If I re-boot the computer, all is well. 

It seems that DNS thinks that the iDrive software has those files open.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

-shiloh-

DNS 10.0 Preferred, Win XP

01/22/2009 02:20 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Shiloh,

I don't use I drive, so I took a look at their website and went through their technical specifications.  Here's what I suspect happens:

First, if you open Windows Explorer, or any third-party Explorer type application, and you highlight your user folder(s), DNS will give you the exact same error message, both when you attempt to load your user and when you attempt to save it.

Second, since I drive uses an Explorer like interface, my suspicion is that once I drive completes its procedures, that interfaces still open and pointing to any and/or all of the folders that you're backing up.  I don't think that this is a bug, I just think it's an unfortunate way of performing its operations.  Nevertheless, I suspect that the active link to any of your backup folders is still in effect, which produces the exact same result as if you had your user file open or highlighted using Windows Explorer.

Lastly, you shouldn't have to reboot.  My suggestion would be to try just simply logging off and logging back on again.  This should clear the link and save you a whole lot of time.  Regardless, I would take a look at the I drive documentation and see if there is an option to completely close down the I drive once it's completed its operation.  Again, I suspect that something is being left open and pointing to your user folder.

Chuck Runquist
Owner, GEMCCON – The Choice of Intelligence
Speech Recognition Consulting and Training

Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. - Pete Seeger

01/22/2009 04:51 PM

shiloh

Thanks for the quick reply...and the research. I believe you are correct...I had the same thoughts.

DNS must be especially sensitive to that...I don't get that sort of message from other apps (e.g., MS Word) when I try to open files  that have been backed up, and you'd think you would.

As regards the "re-boot vs. logoff"...the iDrive operation is actually performed with me being logged off.  I log on in the morning, and [zap] DNS won't behave.  I admit that I've not logged off and back on at that point...I'll try that.

Thanks...

-shiloh-

DNS 10.0 Preferred, Win XP

01/21/2009 01:31 AM

BMJ

Lunis

Your suggested fix seems to have worked. three days without problems!

Thank you.

Dragon preferred 10.0

Win XP SP3 

Statistics
28372 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 107 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 111 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.