KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: dragon 9.5 tries and fails to install every time i boot
Topic Summary: was previously working, now tries to install, won't repair in add/remove
Created On: 04/23/2008 02:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 dragon 9.5 tries and fails to install every time i boot   - diometes - 04/23/2008 02:05 PM  
 dragon 9.5 tries and fails to install every time i boot   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/23/2008 02:25 PM  
 dragon 9.5 tries and fails to install every time i boot   - diometes - 04/23/2008 05:00 PM  
 dragon 9.5 tries and fails to install every time i boot   - Dana - 04/23/2008 05:32 PM  
 dragon 9.5 tries and fails to install every time i boot   - diometes - 04/23/2008 07:16 PM  
 dragon 9.5 tries and fails to install every time i boot   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/24/2008 02:24 AM  
 dragon 9.5 tries and fails to install every time i boot   - breakthroughcoaching - 03/31/2010 01:21 PM  
Keyword
 04/23/2008 02:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

diometes

i'm trying to fix my husband's Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred v9.5. he's disabled and asleep at the moment.

was previously working. the icon sits on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. when i click on it, it pops up an error message as follows:

--------

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program:...ram Files\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking9\Program\natspeak.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the application support team for more information.

-------

Additionally, Dragon attempts to install every time I boot the machine. It fails with the following error:

Error 1722

Additionally, I've tried to repair it in Add/Remove programs and I receive a number of errors during the repair process:

Authentication Data (number here, different every time for example 99839) was not properly read or written. Error -2.

Then I will click "okay" and get this next:

Warning: Could not find registration file: Program\Register.ini

Then I click "okay" and get the following error next:

The UpdateService does not recognize this product. Error 1304: Version not registered with the agent. ......Files\CommonFiles\InstallShield\UpdateService\agent.exe

Then I'll get the Error 1722.

I've examined the logfiles and the error corresponding to this is as follows:

Event Source: MsiInstaller

Event ID: 10005

Description: Product: DragonNaturallySpeaking9 - Internal Error 2343

-------

I'd appreciate any input. I am disinclined to remove and reinstall Dragon via Add/Remove at this point as if I recall my husband already tried this and the same problem remained. Not certain but I think so. Another concern I have is the way Dragon tries to install at every bootup. It will try several times. Soon as an error is received it tries again. There's another pesky problem at bootup and that is the initiation of 380ShareProDownloader (has a smiley-face program icon).

-------------------------

DNS 9.5, WinXP/SP2, 2Gmemory,

04/23/2008 02:25 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Even though you are not inclined to uninstall DNS again, we believe you still need to uninstall because you have a lot of problems including registry entry problems. Uninstalling NaturallySpeaking will not typically remove registry entries so we believe that you need to perform a sanitized uninstall of DNS. See following:

1.    Uninstall NaturallySpeaking via the Add/Remove Programs applet in the Control Panel to prevent loss of an activation.

2.    Physically move your ~ C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking9\Users\(your username)\ folder to a temporary safe location such as your desktop.

3.    Download and run DNS9.5 Remover which will remove every trace of DNS from your computer for a sanitized uninstall. The reason for step #2 was to protect your user file because DNS 9.5 remover literally removes everything.

4.    Reinstall NaturallySpeaking.

5.    Move the user files back to their original location.

6.    Launch NaturallySpeaking. You'll be prompted to rerun the Audio Setup Wizard but you shouldn't be prompted to train. Let us know how this works and oh yes… Welcome to the KnowBrainer Tech Support Forums.

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

04/23/2008 05:00 PM

diometes

hello,

i followed the steps provided and this is how it went:

step #1 - i got two error messages, the first said "internal error 2758 - natspeak.exe". the second said "fatal error during installation"

so i went to setp #2 and found there was no directory called "Users", so i went on to step #3

step #3 went successfully and the program was uninstalled, and the icon removed from the desktop. the icon on the toolbar was not removed so i deleted it manually.

step #4 went seemingly fine and the program was installed from CD without incident.

step #5 not applicable

step #6 the program launched and opened up the new user window and my husband has already had one training session.

thanks for your very prompt and polite assistance, and also thanks for the uninstaller link. most helpful. :-)

04/23/2008 05:32 PM

Author Icon
Dana

Quote:
"...and my husband has already had one training session"

How many training sessions is he planning on doing?  It is NOT recommended to do more than one unless the User has a very thick accent.  In fact - many of us on the Forum start new Users and do no additional training other than the very first (mandatory) one.  User files tend to degrade if you do a lot of training sessions, especially with Version 9.5, which has Silent Adapt that "trains as you go."

Dana

Dana Joan - Vero Beach, FL  -  Dragon NaturallySpeaking Medical, Version 10.1; General Medical Large Vocabulary; Windows 8.1 (on desktop); Windows 7 (on laptop) and Sennheiser MD 431 II mic with the Andrea USB pod on both computers; LAPTOP: HP Compaq 8710p; Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00 GHz 2.00 GHz; 2.00 GB RAM; DESKTOP: Intel(R) Core i5; 12 GB RAM.

04/23/2008 07:16 PM

diometes

well just one i suppose! lol. i guess that's why he was done with it after the one session. i didn't know it only takes one. i don't pay attention and don't use my dragon because at the moment i don't need it. i am very well and type very easily. i am remembering the "olden days" i guess, when training took a long time. he's very happy with this version.

thanks very much for your very prompt help. it seems that a program called FreeMem (?) corrupted one of the machines on the network, and the change migrated (as it's programmed to do for this particular network i think) and corrupted Dragon on two machines here. before we dealt with Dragon's reinstall, we removed FreeMem. he's currently training the other machine now. seems to be going smoothly.

04/24/2008 02:24 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

For future information purposes...

The User folder is located at ~ C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking9\Users but the reason why you couldn’t find it is because you haven't changed Windows Explorer’s foolish default options from Hide hidden files and folders to Show hidden files and folders. You'll find life easier if you make this change now because it may eliminate having to create a new user in the future when you may have more to lose and we recommend manually copying this folder once a month because it's not that unusual for user files to become corrupted. See following step-by-step:

1.    On the “Tools” menu in Windows Explorer, click “Folder Options”.
2.    Click the “View” tab.
3. Under “Hidden files and folders”, click “Show hidden files and folders”.

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

03/31/2010 01:21 PM

breakthroughcoa..

I spoke to Dragon about this.  They told me to restore the user profile I was using and delete the original one.  This stopped the runtime error although accuracy has deteriorated considerably.

Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 9.5

Pentium 4. 2.4 GHz 2 GB RAM.

ALS Consulting

http://www.ALSleadership.com

Statistics
28508 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 89 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 91 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.