KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: SendKeys, SendDragonKeys, SendSystemKeys
Topic Summary: I'm STILL CONFUSED which to use when.
Created On: 02/04/2008 08:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 SendKeys, SendDragonKeys, SendSystemKeys   - Nastajus - 02/04/2008 08:31 PM  
 SendKeys, SendDragonKeys, SendSystemKeys   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/04/2008 09:18 PM  
 SendKeys, SendDragonKeys, SendSystemKeys   - RockinOut - 02/04/2008 11:13 PM  
 SendKeys, SendDragonKeys, SendSystemKeys   - Nastajus - 06/21/2008 02:32 AM  
 SendKeys, SendDragonKeys, SendSystemKeys   - RockinOut - 02/04/2008 11:55 PM  
Keyword
 02/04/2008 08:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Nastajus

What I'm looking for a clear cut reason why to default to using a specific one of these three first: SendKeys, SendDragonKeys, or SendSystemKeys? I go to make a new command, and I freeze, unsure which is best. I suppose the answer will be IT DEPENDS, which will drive me batty. Which is the safest and most reliable to use most situations? Which is worst? Or do they all work and there's no real difference?

Ian Nastajus

-------------------------

Former primary author of Speechwiki NaturallySpeaking FAQ. 

02/04/2008 09:18 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The following explanation assumes you are using the NaturallySpeaking Command Browser.

SendDragonKeys and SendKeys are identical but SendKeys can only be used in VBA commands such as SendKeys "^p". SendDragonKeys are native to NaturallySpeaking and the previous command would appear as SendDragonKeys "{Ctrl+p}". SendSystemKeys is slower but often more bulletproof. For example: Most of the time you could get away with SendDragonKeys "{Alt+F4}" to close a program or Window but it doesn't always work. However, SendSystemKeys "{Alt+F4}" always works. Other examples of SendSystemKeys would be pulling up the start menu and working with Windows (sizing, minimizing etc.). You may find other situations where SendKeys won't work but SendSystemKeys will. The KnowBrainer correction commands Pick <1-10> (used in place of NaturallySpeaking's less functional choose <1-10> commands) utilizes SendSystemKeys because SendKeys simply doesn't always work.

Lunis Orcutt (615) 884-4558 x2
Live Chat
KnowBrainer Videos
What Is KnowBrainer Professional 2017 (PDF)
KnowBrainer 2017 (30 Day Trial)
SpeechStart+ (15 Day Trial)
 02/04/2008 11:13 PM

Author Icon
RockinOut

Somewhat related, but more specific for KnowBrainer users:

I made some really cool commands that instantly convert SendKeys containing scripts with SendSystemKeys and vice versa. I'll post when I have more time. It is a really neat command that just cuts and pastes the entire script to Notepad, runs a find/replace and repastes back in the command browser.

On my system, I like using SendSystemKeys for stability with CTRL, ALT containing scripts and others as Lunis stated. I have no problems with SendKeys with other alpha keys. I just use what works for me through trial and error. 

The issue for me is when many applications are running at the same time as I go back and forth between Firefox, Word, and other apps. SendSystemKeys is a lifesaver for me. Slow, but stable, and useable.

I even have 2 sets of the same commands: SendKeys for use when I want speed and I'm only using one app, and SendSystemKeys commands when I have many apps open and have stability problem. Best of both worlds. And it only takes a split second to make a copy and convert using yet another command.

Powerful and very configurable stuff, 80-90% done by voice I  might add.

1111MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, or Mac Mini --> OS X Leopard --> VMware Fusion --> XP SP2 Home --> KnowBrainer 2007 Command Software, DNS 9.5 Preferred, Steelcase Leap Chair. Current: Revolabs xTag. Previous: KnowBrainer Hybrid Plantronics CS55.
 06/21/2008 02:32 AM

Author Icon
Nastajus

Well, well, well. I just found out SendKeys has a severe limitation. it only output strings of 128 characters or less. It kills the script otherwise. I would colorfully described SendSystemKeys as a "very slowly deploys". It just took 40 seconds now to finish typing out something slightly larger than the SendKeys maximum, 136 characters.  That's like 3.33 characters per second. 

So SendDragonKeys is "generally" better than SendKeys. Okay. Is there ever any reason not to use SendDragonKeys?

Former primary author of Speechwiki NaturallySpeaking FAQ. 

02/04/2008 11:55 PM

Author Icon
RockinOut

For KB2007 fans I posted the commands here. My instructions are awful though. Sorry, I'm super busy with work right now. At least the scripts are there though:

CLICK HERE FOR CONVERSION COMMANDS 

1111MacBook Pro, Mac Pro, or Mac Mini --> OS X Leopard --> VMware Fusion --> XP SP2 Home --> KnowBrainer 2007 Command Software, DNS 9.5 Preferred, Steelcase Leap Chair. Current: Revolabs xTag. Previous: KnowBrainer Hybrid Plantronics CS55.
Statistics
30495 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 295 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 295 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2018 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.