KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Do different computers work better with Dragon?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/26/2020 05:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Earthvoice - 09/26/2020 05:07 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Matt_Chambers - 09/26/2020 05:28 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Earthvoice - 09/26/2020 06:12 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - R. Wilke - 09/26/2020 07:41 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Earthvoice - 09/26/2020 08:06 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/27/2020 03:47 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - R. Wilke - 09/27/2020 05:41 AM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - PG LTU - 09/27/2020 10:52 AM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - wristofdoom - 09/30/2020 10:34 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - R. Wilke - 10/01/2020 01:26 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - wristofdoom - 10/01/2020 03:07 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Lunis Orcutt - 10/01/2020 01:29 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - R. Wilke - 10/01/2020 02:57 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - R. Wilke - 09/27/2020 01:00 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Earthvoice - 09/28/2020 10:28 AM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - PG LTU - 09/28/2020 12:21 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Matt_Chambers - 09/28/2020 01:03 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/28/2020 02:16 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Matt_Chambers - 09/28/2020 02:38 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - PG LTU - 09/28/2020 01:23 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Earthvoice - 09/29/2020 03:52 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Ag - 10/01/2020 03:37 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - R. Wilke - 10/01/2020 03:45 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Ag - 10/02/2020 06:23 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Earthvoice - 10/07/2020 10:21 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Lunis Orcutt - 10/08/2020 10:53 AM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Earthvoice - 10/08/2020 10:21 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Earthvoice - 10/08/2020 11:09 AM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - PG LTU - 10/08/2020 11:55 AM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Earthvoice - 10/08/2020 06:19 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Lunis Orcutt - 10/08/2020 07:09 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Earthvoice - 10/08/2020 09:52 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - PG LTU - 10/08/2020 06:55 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Earthvoice - 10/08/2020 09:57 PM  
 Do different computers work better with Dragon?   - Lunis Orcutt - 10/09/2020 06:40 PM  
Keyword
 09/26/2020 05:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Earthvoice

I have a fairly powerful laptop, but I have a lot of issues with Dragon and I was wondering if I should just try changing to a different computer. One issue I have is that my profile degrades at a pretty fast rate. When I've been doing to fix this is I basically export my entire vocabulary and import it to a fresh profile and this lasts about a week. I just did a fresh install of Windows, reinstalled many of the programs I'm using and still having this problem. Of course this is the Dell computer so it comes with preinstalled stuff, and I did reinstall the programs I regularly use.

Has anyone found that particular computers just work poorly with Dragon and does anyone have any suggestions for laptops that are known to be reliable?

09/26/2020 05:28 PM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

What microphone and sound card are you using? You really should be doing fine with a fairly powerful laptop? Profile degradation is often due to poor sound quality.
 09/26/2020 06:12 PM

Author Icon
Earthvoice

I'm using speechware USB multi-adapter. And this microphone https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJ17WKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have tried more expensive microphones, and they did not work out for me. 1 Was Way too sensitive, and the other was an expensive desktop microphone that did not as good of accuracy.

09/26/2020 07:41 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

The issue is definitely not with the computer. What exactly do you mean by profile corruption, and how does it manifest? If by "entire vocabulary" you actually mean the entire vocabulary and not just the custom words, that might be the problem. Try exporting and importing just the custom words instead.

-------------------------

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

09/26/2020 08:06 PM

Author Icon
Earthvoice

What I mean by profile corruption, is that slowly the speech recognition gets worse and worse until it is utterly terrible. The reason I have been exporting the entire vocabulary and replacing it on a fresh profile, is because creating a new profile is the only thing that seems to fix it. I can't transfer over Words that I have trained, So what happens is I get uncommon words that show up they get confused with words I have added. So I just delete those words. But that poses a problem because if I just import the custom words then all those deleted words come back and Dragon gets confused with them again. I will try just importing my custom word list again, but I feel like I was at that point before before I started exporting the entire word list.

This is just one of the problems I have. There are other problems like I have this issue were Dragon just hangs. It stops and I get no reaction as if I'm not saying anything. And if I wait a while it will eventually catch up and recognize all the words I said while it was hung. I get some webpages that slow down Dragon like if I have a twitter tab and the webpage is not loaded completely, it slows down Dragon. I have webpages that will completely crash Dragon. I have also abandoned the Dragon extension, which did resolve some issues but it's not fix the ones I have detailed here.

I am using the latest version of Dragon, which of course when I updated fix did nothing for me. I'm also using the latest version of voicecomputer, with the latest version of Windows 10.

09/27/2020 03:47 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Ver. 15.3 typically freezes on most end-users numerous times a day. You just have to wait it out or email us at Support@KnowBrainer.com for a free solution.

As far as unwanted misspelled words being added to your vocabulary are concerned… The answer is in your KnowBrainer Dragon manual. We figured that you might've misplaced it so we sent you a new permanent link to all updates. You can begin by removing the checkmark from Automatically Add Words to the active vocabulary, when you open your Dragon options.

We have only suffered one corrupted user profile since 1997 and we do occasionally save our profile. We suspect that when saving your user profile when exiting Dragon is a potential risk. We recommend saving your user profile anytime except when you are closing Dragon. You can prevent Dragon from doing this by looking up “automatically saving your profile” in the Quick Tips at the top of this page, for a hack.

If you are optimizing your user profile, you might consider discontinuing that practice.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

09/27/2020 05:41 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

It is sad to hear that you are having such problems, but going by the reports coming in here, you are not alone obviously. Personally, I cannot replicate it however. I started using Dragon professionally about 18 years ago, and although at first getting used to it was really difficult and I did go through similar issues and also had been thinking that getting different hardware, specifically microphones, would resolve it, thus spending loads of money on them, it turned out that it didn't. Once I managed to get along with Dragon nicely enough, it has become an indispensable tool in my day job, and if it wasn't like that or if our encountered such issues when using it, I wouldn't hesitate to give it up and go back to typing immediately because I couldn't afford wasting my time with it on the job.

The major lesson I learned was to always take the path of least resistance. That means, in technical terms, getting a decent and powerful enough computer, it really doesn't has to be high-end, as well as getting a decent reliable microphone, preferably USB. I won't start giving particular recommendations, because everyone's mileage will vary and it always depends on personal preferences. However, more expensive doesn't necessarily equate to higher quality when it comes to Dragon, quite the opposite is true very often. The aforementioned "path of least resistance" very soon also included being really careful with third-party add-ons.

Unless you have a specific problem with your overall setup, recognition issues tend to be very individual and have to be dealt with individually for each one, given the exact issue, so there is no one for all solution. So that means reducing your setup to its barebones thus eliminating all kinds of impacting factors to take a closer and clearer look at things.

The suggestion therefore would be to start off with a really clean slate, which means doing away with anything but a new and clean user profile created from scratch and using that in a regular way. "Regular way" includes closing and saving the profile properly, which is a must, and probably running the optimiser, which is not necessarily a must but tends to help, at least in the early stage of the profile.

If you don't manage to get up and running this way and go on using it successfully this way for more than a week, you definitely have a systematic problem.

When encountering recognition problems, report them here, or you may also contact me off-line and send me a private message through this forum. Trust me, I will be there to help, and at no charge, my time allowing, but I don't login here every day necessarily. You can also bet that I am not going to talk you into buying stuff.

DragonCapture Homepage

09/27/2020 10:52 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

I agree with Rudiger. Start with a clean fresh vocabulary. Add custom word as you need them - but no training, generally. Do you have an accent? Or impediment to speaking in long utterances? The default vocab should be fine.

When Dragon makes a mistake, if it was the most recent utterance, say "correct that" or if it is elsewhere and you want to correct, say "insert before [the mistaken word plus another couple of words to make a short phrase]" (or "insert after [a short phrase starting a couple of prior words and ending with the mistaken word]" and then say "correct that." In either case, hopefully the correction menu comes up (there is an option for correction commands to bring up the spelling window, but for now make sure that is unticked - I don't know why it is recommended to tick it, I never do). From the correction menu, if the choice appears, choose it and move on. If not, say "play that back" from the correction menu to hear what Dragon heard. If it is clear and Dragon just doesn't get what you mean by it, you might try dictating again (replacing the selection) or else it's time for spelling corrections out and possibly adding a custom word or phrase. If and only if there is a non-obvious pronunciation would I train. Of course, if upon hearing the playback, you mispoke, then re-speak to replace the selection and leave it at that.

With ver 15 training is seldom required otherwise. Remember, custom words are for the strange or different words that you use more regularly. Vocabulary should be reserved for how those (and all) words are used in context. So a new or alternate vocabulary is only really necessary in a context that isn't ordinary (and the vast majority of people have but one vocabulary and aren't thinking about it).

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

09/30/2020 10:34 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Power Member

Based on this...

Add custom word as you need them - but no training, generally. 

... And similar comments, am I to understand that training words with pronunciation will actually hurt the performance of Dragon? Or are you just saying that it is not necessary.?

I get some of the issues that OP has described on one of my computers (not so much on my other computer) and I have also been in the habit of frequently training the pronunciation of words whenever Dragon gets the word wrong, or I have a phrase with a very specific spelling (for example, a website or email extension).

Now I'm concerned that my Dragon user profile is messed up because I am always training it with pronunciations.

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

10/01/2020 01:26 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Now I'm concerned that my Dragon user profile is messed up because I am always training it with pronunciations.

Training by itself will never hurt, since the developers took care of implementing it carefully enough, and they are lot cleverer than the pundits chiming in. If training fits the bill and goes in line with the spelling, it may go into adapting the underlying algorithms, or else it will be discarded. So, if you are doing it correctly, it may help, otherwise you are just wasting your time.

Question is, however, what do you actually do, and how do you actually train? And also, could you define "some of the issues that OP has described on one of my computers" in more details, which also still goes for the OP who never made it clear actually.

DragonCapture Homepage

10/01/2020 03:07 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Power Member

Okay, good to know. Thank you.

This is the issue that OP describe that I will experience on one of my computers:

There are other problems like I have this issue were Dragon just hangs. It stops and I get no reaction as if I'm not saying anything. And if I wait a while it will eventually catch up and recognize all the words I said while it was hung.

They mentioned this in one of their comments further down, rather than in the original post.

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

10/01/2020 01:29 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Some words must be trained but Dragon always takes its best guess. For example, the word “KnowBrainer” would not have to be trained but in this case, you would probably have to delete the other “no-brainer” from your vocabulary. 

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

10/01/2020 02:57 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt Some words must be trained but Dragon always takes its best guess. For example, the word “KnowBrainer” would not have to be trained but in this case, you would probably have to delete the other “no-brainer” from your vocabulary. 

Lunis, among cat lovers, training Dragon is equivalent to teaching your cat a new trick. While you may think you are succeeding in this, never be too sure until it comes to demonstrating it.

DragonCapture Homepage

09/27/2020 01:00 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Very well done, PG. That's about all there is to know and to do in order to get up and running with Dragon and become a happy camper with it. If you strictly follow the routine as detailed by PG, you can't go wrong. However, and I will stress this once again only because I recently ran into situations where third-party add-ons probably defeat the purpose of saving the user profile by design, please make sure to use Dragon "as is" initially which will take care of saving the user profile by its default settings.

But if doing it like this still doesn't turn out successful, you do have a problem which needs particular attention, but not money thrown at it.

DragonCapture Homepage

09/28/2020 10:28 AM

Author Icon
Earthvoice

Okay I made a new profile, And I used the knowbrainer guide of course. I added the quick tip which prevents Dragon from saving when it closes, I just save when I add words or something. I checked the quality of my microphone by asking Dragon to read it back to me and it sounds very good. Unfortunately so far recognition has not been great but I will use it for a week and try it out.
 09/28/2020 12:21 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Sorry to hear you are not having great success. Another question then, is what mic and soundcard? Specifically, most people have the most success with a USB soundcard, and with a mic designed for speech (rather than fidelity).

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

09/28/2020 01:03 PM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: PG LTU Sorry to hear you are not having great success. Another question then, is what mic and soundcard? Specifically, most people have the most success with a USB soundcard, and with a mic designed for speech (rather than fidelity).

PG, I asked the same question upthread.  See the OP"s response in post #3.  Speechware USB adapter, which I think should be fine, but a microphone I'm not familiar with.  I wonder if the microphone is the main issue.

09/28/2020 02:16 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Matt,

Would you mind opening DragonPad, dictating a few words and saying play that back; to listen to a recording of your voice? If your voice sounds clear, you might consider disabling Dragon's auto-gain feature. This works well for most end-users but not everyone. If you are unfamiliar with the process, lookup “auto-gain” in the Quick Tips at the top of this page.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

09/28/2020 02:38 PM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt Matt, Would you mind opening DragonPad, dictating a few words and saying play that back; to listen to a recording of your voice? If your voice sounds clear, you might consider disabling Dragon's auto-gain feature. This works well for most end-users but not everyone. If you are unfamiliar with the process, lookup “auto-gain” in the Quick Tips at the top of this page.

Lunis,

this should be directed at earth voice, not me. My system is just peachy.

Matt

09/28/2020 01:23 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Right on, Matt - I missed that. So maybe something to do with which mode the SpeechWare is in (I'm guessing it should be "blue" but they all should be tried) and whether the mic has the OEM noise cancelling and auto-gain features enabled, and if so, perhaps the Dragon option for AGC should be ticked off (or on, try them both and see).

PG

09/29/2020 03:52 PM

Author Icon
Earthvoice

I have checked the quality of the microphone by asking Dragon to read it back to me and the quality is great. I have disabled auto gain so I will see how that goes.
 10/01/2020 03:37 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

YES! I have found that there can be considerable differences between PCs, especially laptops, for Dragon speech recognition. I have hosted my experience in detail in this forum and I will not repeat here.

But, highlights - or rather low lights:

One of my previous laptops, a Dell Inpiron 7591, had two USB ports on the right side. One was occupied my my headset's RF dongle, the other occupied by a USB cable to a USB hub, across which video flowed to USB display adapters. almost certainly interference. My new laptop, a Microsoft Surface Book 3, has the USB port for the RF dongle on the opposite side as the surface port that connects the docking station that connects to three external monitors. Much better quality.

That same Dell laptop had a 45W CPU. The laptop fans regularly went into very loud cooling mode. speech recognition suffered.

My new laptop, Microsoft Surface Book 3, has fans, but CPU is only 15W, and even that is apparently being run underclocked. Upshot: much quieter, fans almost never run. . Speech recognition much better.

It undoubtedly also helps that my new laptop has a GPU that is rated as 1000 times faster than the old laptops GPU, for the sorts of machine learning workloads that probably typify Nvidia RTX Voice noise filtering. Which seems to help a lot.

---

However, even with all this my working Dragon profile gets slower and slower,  and I regularly step back to a fresh profile,  varying between once a week and once a month.   In another post/thread I describe my workflow for minimizing the amount of  rework I need to do when stepping back.

I find that it is not so much the time spent going back to an old profile and merging in recent changes the costs, so much as the "boiling the frog" process whereby I tolerate my profile getting slower and slower. E.g. even right now, while  It was fast when I started dictating, now after I say something it can take 10 to 15 seconds before the text is inserted into this text box.   it doesn't take too many such long pauses before you start wasting a lot of time. At the moment I usually only switch to a new profile when the pauses exceed 1 to 5 minutes in duration, but I'm getting enough practice that I'm beginning to switch earlier.

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

10/01/2020 03:45 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

AG, putting all hardware considerations aside, have you ever tried running Dragon "as is", without any add-ons, for that matter?

I'm just asking because, and I think I mentioned that to you in private messages, I just can't replicate the hangs in my daily workflow and never experienced such in like 15 years having used Dragon professionally in my day job as one of the most critical tools, and on various, some more and some less powerful, but if I had suffered from it the way that you do, I certainly would have thrown it out the window long ago already and gone back to typing.

DragonCapture Homepage

10/02/2020 06:23 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: R. Wilke AG, putting all hardware considerations aside, have you ever tried running Dragon "as is", without any add-ons, for that matter? 

Yes, I have.

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

10/07/2020 10:21 PM

Author Icon
Earthvoice

Well, things not going that great so far. Honestly I feel like I've had noticeably better fresh profiles before. This one seems to been giving me problems from the start, and I have been doing the corrections and stuff but I still haven't done enough to do the accuracy tuning.
 10/08/2020 10:53 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

A lot of Dragon end-users feel like they are missing out on something important by not being able to optimize. We tell our customers not to run the Optimizer and if they do, make a backup copy of their user profile 1st. In theory, you can undo the optimizing but keep in mind that 25% of end-users report that the Optimizer trashes their user. About 50% don't notice any difference (we are in that category) and 25% see an accuracy improvement. Note that these are only rough estimates. All we are saying is that it is potentially far less important than you might think.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

10/08/2020 10:21 PM

Author Icon
Earthvoice

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt A lot of Dragon end-users feel like they are missing out on something important by not being able to optimize. We tell our customers not to run the Optimizer and if they do, make a backup copy of their user profile 1st. In theory, you can undo the optimizing but keep in mind that 25% of end-users report that the Optimizer trashes their user. About 50% don't notice any difference (we are in that category) and 25% see an accuracy improvement. Note that these are only rough estimates. All we are saying is that it is potentially far less important than you might think.

I have added a custom word. I have trained it but Dragon keeps confusing it with another similar word. I correct Dragon but it gets it wrong every time. What's the solution to this if not the optimizer?

10/08/2020 11:09 AM

Author Icon
Earthvoice

Any suggestions on what I should try next?
 10/08/2020 11:55 AM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

I'm sorry but I'm stumped. Particularly starting with versions 15 and up, brand new profiles always worked rather well for me from the start (stability and other issues aside, I mean just in terms of recognition). It sounds like the mic, sound system and pc and all is fine for the purpose.

Perhaps bloat-ware, or anti-virus, firewall, windows-security features are getting in the way. Perhaps other programs are interfering with the audio path (do you have the "Exclusive Mode" options in Microphone Properties checked and the default format set to "CD Quality"?)

You could try a new microphone (its free if you have a cell phone using WO Mic https://wolicheng.com/womic/ and I've even used it with my phone in speaker phone mode) on a brand new new profile created on a "lean" boot-up (i.e., with as few programs and services running as possible) and *just* Dragon running (when you make the new profile and while you test it out). You can test out the new profile with another "light" application, namely WordPad.

PG

10/08/2020 06:19 PM

Author Icon
Earthvoice

I have both the exclusive mode and the CD-quality checked. Is there a microphone like this that I can plug into my headphones that you could recommend? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJ17WKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I am going to try and look into the programs running on my computer, I do have somewhat but it's a long and tedious process to rule stuff out

10/08/2020 07:09 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Considering the importance of speech recognition to your workflow, you might want to consider a speech recognition certified USB Microphone rather gaming microphones. A microphone element the size of the head of a pin, which is included in most over-the-counter microphones, is not optimal. An expensive microphone with a flat frequency response of 20 Hz to 15,000 Hz is not necessarily ideal either because Dragon can only hear frequencies between 1000 Hz and 5000 Hz with overtones running as high as 10,000 Hz. It's not a matter of a studio quality microphone for best accuracy. It's a matter of the right microphone which doesn't need to cost $300. For example, the Addasound Crystal SR2832 was designed specifically for the human voice, offers excellent noise filtering (another important speech recognition component) and even features high fidelity stereo playback speakers. Believe it or not, this inexpensive microphone is actually overkill

CD-quality and 24-bit quality etc. make no difference to speech recognition which cuts off at a sampling rate of 22.5 kHz (ceiling of 10.025 kHz). Also note that from a purely speech recognition point of view, all USB soundcards are equal. In other words a $300 USB soundcard is no more accurate than the $15 USB soundcard but there are additional soundcard features that can make a difference.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

10/08/2020 09:52 PM

Author Icon
Earthvoice

My past experience with microphones is… First I bought this new https://www.amazon.com/SpeechWare-3-in1-3-in-1-TableMike/dp/B00F9DD2I0 Wasn't working very well, maybe because it's a desktop microphone. So I realized that I did not want a desktop microphone, but I don't like on ear headphones, I use the computer all day and can't stand how they feel. Would be great if somebody could suggest me some over the ear headphones but when I looked it was extremely slim pickings. So I got this https://www.amazon.com/SpeechWare-FlexyMike-Cardioid-Generation-Bundle/dp/B079KSQQKD/ref=lp_8387513011_1_4?srs=8387513011&ie=UTF8&qid=1602208001&sr=8-4 they ended up being way too sensitive, screwed around with it a long time couldn't fix the problem, contact the customer support they figured it wasn't a problem with their microphone. So this point basically had wasted a bunch of money on stuff that was highly recommended. That's when I just went with something that I could plug into my already comfortable over the ear headphones.

10/08/2020 06:55 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Hmm. I wondered about that earlier. I don't have any familiarity with what you use (other than the sound card part). What if you plug your mic directly into the USB sound card and forgo the headphones for a test. Any better? The Speechmatic has multiple modes, green is for a desktop mic, blue is for a mic close to the mouth, but you may want to try both. Also, if the mic came with software, can you try using it without the software? You could even try plugging in directly to your PC motherboard sound card.

You could certainly rule out mic issues by trying the WO Mic I suggested. If that works well, then we can guess the gaming mic is the culprit. If not, then it's back to looking for other issues with sw and hw conflicts.

PG

10/08/2020 09:57 PM

Author Icon
Earthvoice

Okay I am in the process of trying green, I don't think I've tried using green before so maybe this will help some.
 10/09/2020 06:40 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

When asking these types of questions, it's important to include the details. In this case, it would have helped if you gave us the word you wanted and the word Dragon thinks you want. Some of the things you can do include deleting the misrecognized word (if it's not a word you commonly use), adding the misrecognized word to another word (creating a phrase) and adding the entire phrase, as a single entry, to vocabulary or creating a Written Form and separate Spoken Form.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

Statistics
31793 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 598 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 600 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.