KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions
Topic Summary: For example, custom commands to minimize a window
Created On: 09/22/2020 04:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - benTalks - 09/22/2020 04:19 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - Alan Cantor - 09/22/2020 04:41 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - PG LTU - 09/22/2020 06:04 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - Steve Morris - 09/23/2020 06:24 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - benTalks - 09/22/2020 06:32 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - dilligence - 09/22/2020 09:44 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - dilligence - 09/22/2020 09:53 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - benTalks - 09/23/2020 09:56 AM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - dilligence - 09/23/2020 10:29 AM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - Alan Cantor - 09/23/2020 09:42 AM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - Tiger Feet - 09/23/2020 11:51 AM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - PG LTU - 09/23/2020 12:24 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - Tiger Feet - 09/23/2020 01:18 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - dilligence - 09/23/2020 03:06 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - R. Wilke - 09/23/2020 03:34 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - Tiger Feet - 09/24/2020 07:17 AM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - R. Wilke - 09/24/2020 11:51 AM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - Tiger Feet - 09/24/2020 02:08 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - R. Wilke - 09/24/2020 04:24 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - PG LTU - 09/24/2020 02:50 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - Tiger Feet - 09/26/2020 09:14 AM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - dilligence - 09/26/2020 04:32 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - Tiger Feet - 09/27/2020 06:40 AM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - Edgar - 09/27/2020 10:33 AM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - R. Wilke - 09/27/2020 10:37 AM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - dilligence - 09/27/2020 04:26 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - Tiger Feet - 09/30/2020 12:23 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - PG LTU - 09/30/2020 01:27 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - dilligence - 09/30/2020 03:05 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - R. Wilke - 09/30/2020 02:50 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - Tiger Feet - 09/30/2020 02:52 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - PG LTU - 09/30/2020 04:08 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - R. Wilke - 09/30/2020 04:37 PM  
 Mapping Dragon custom commands to Windows functions   - Tiger Feet - 10/05/2020 09:20 AM  
Keyword
 09/22/2020 04:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

The default commands are "minimize" and "maximize" and are only three syllables long. Single syllable long command names are not recommended because they are easily triggered by accident.

I'm not sure it's worthwhile to reduce the number of syllables from three to two!
 09/22/2020 06:04 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

I dunno.
commands "mini" and "maxi" work great for me. Make it a list. Here's the code:

Sub Main
  EngineControl.RecognitionMimic LCase(ListVar1) & "mize window"
End Sub

Note, I have this for a long time because the typical Dragon commands "minimize" and "maximize" (that Alan mentioned) sometimes (often) don't work in some contexts, like text boxes and other control elements no matter the pausing or articulation as a command.  Mini and Maxi never fail for me.

Hth,

-------------------------

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

09/23/2020 06:24 PM

Author Icon
Steve Morris
Top-Tier Member

I always love your little commands PG. Thanks for always sharing. 

Steve 

09/22/2020 06:32 PM

Author Icon
benTalks

Pardon my denseness, could you clarify how one would create a list to work with this command?
 09/22/2020 09:44 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Here's an example of combining shorter utterances for Maximize, Restore and Minimize in a list command.

I'm using DVC for faster deployment of these commands. I've also attached the command itself. Simply import it into your Dragon Command Browser:

www.speechproductivity.eu 

SP 6 PRO - The Dragon Enhancement & Productivity Suite

09/22/2020 09:53 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Uh.. well, although this works pretty well in Windows Explorer, notepad, Word, Firefox etc., it doesn't seem to work in Edge and Chrome. So you may want to use SendSystemKeys instead of SendKeys (which is slightly slower :-().

09/23/2020 09:56 AM

Author Icon
benTalks

I have imported this XML file, but am getting "Syntax Error (1)"

09/23/2020 10:29 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

That's odd..., works perfectly fine on my system. I  just reimported the XML to make sure.

09/23/2020 09:42 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I'd think twice about using Rest to restore a window. One syllable commands are easy to trigger inadvertently. But the benefits may outweigh the downside for you. I suppose that if activated by accident, there would be no major side effects.
 09/23/2020 11:51 AM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

I too am of the school of thought where more than one syllable in these cases are safer as a command.

As we all know, 'minimise,' 'maximise' and 'restore' are the norm for these exercises but they can fail occasionally. I have found the command to be safer when making it longer rather than shorter.

I prefer to say, 'minimise window,' 'maximise window' and 'restore window' to make that particular command safer. If that works 99% of the time, then why make an advanced script of it? Just my £0.02 worth.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

| DPI 15.3 | KnowBrainer 2017 | Windows  10 Professional /64 Bit | Intel Core i7 Quad Core 3840QM (2.80GHz) 8MB | 16GB RAM. | 240GB Intel 520 Series SSD Boot Drive | 750GB 7200 rpm Secondary Drive  | Sennheiser D10-USB Wireless. |

09/23/2020 12:24 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Yes, Tiger Feet, I use the phrase "[mini|maxi]mize|restore window" but where it comes to shortening the name (and "min" and "max" and "rest" are far too commonly used for a command name), whereas for me, note that the articulation of "mini" and "maxi" and "resty" are heard quite differently by Dragon from the first syllable of "minimize" and "maximize" and "restore." The two syllable words have a stress at the end (or may be unstressed) whereas the one syllable variants are stressed and the three syllable words start with a stress, go unstressed, and then end with a semi-stress. At least for me, I think that is why the two-syllable word commands are so easy to say and work for me so well.

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

09/23/2020 01:18 PM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

I guess everyone has their own way of using Dragon.

Yes Philip, 2 syllables are always going to be better than one. For me saying, 'minimise window' though, is not such a big deal over saying 'mini.'

My point here in this respect is why make an advanced script when you don't need to.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

| DPI 15.3 | KnowBrainer 2017 | Windows  10 Professional /64 Bit | Intel Core i7 Quad Core 3840QM (2.80GHz) 8MB | 16GB RAM. | 240GB Intel 520 Series SSD Boot Drive | 750GB 7200 rpm Secondary Drive  | Sennheiser D10-USB Wireless. |

09/23/2020 03:06 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Everyone has their own way of using Dragon for sure. One way of using Dragon is to repeat certain commands numerous times per hour, or even minutes depending on which applications you're working in or which tasks you are performing. 

In such a case (my case) I'm really not going to use full-blown command names such as "minimize window", "start scrolling down", "move to bottom", "move to the end of the line" etc.. Not if I still want to have any voice left at the end of the day. 

My point here in this respect is why wear down your voice (and risk voice strain - a potentially very serious condition) when you don't need to.

I think the OP has his reasons for his asking his question.

Cheers 

09/23/2020 03:34 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

If suffering from voice strain really is an issue, reconsider using Dragon regularly to begin with. If you see "max" versus "maximize window" potentially improving your voice condition, better stick with three word sentences at most. If you are honest, it isn't the length of the utterances which is worrying you, but the fact that repeating the same things over and over soon gets old. Like calling commands to open boxes etc.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

09/24/2020 07:17 AM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

My point here in this respect is why wear down your voice (and risk voice strain - a potentially very serious condition) when you don't need to.

I will agree with you, some commands are worthwhile shortening but we are talking about minimise window/maximise window & restore window. A Dragon built in command that rarely fails.

I am normally on the computer most days from 10 am to 8:30 pm and I have been using speech recognition since 2007. In all that time, I have never had voice strain, ever. I drink lots of water or soda water and cranberry juice every half hour. That's how you avoid voice strain, regularly drinking, not unnecessary shortening of commands to save a syllable or two.  As I say, everybody uses Dragon differently and if the OP wishes a shortened version, then PG has given it to him and all is good.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

09/24/2020 11:51 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Tiger feet,

It's a matter of attitude. You can talk all day long without suffering from voice train no problem as long as you do it naturally, and without getting nervous. Just go to the pub down the road and you will see what I mean.

If I recall correctly, you used to do some kind of contraction work in your past life, such as I did also. Would you agree that professionals on the building site never suffer from muscle tenseness, the way that amateurs do when attempting at DIY, because the professionals have learned how to use their muscles four hours and hours?

DragonCapture Homepage

09/24/2020 02:08 PM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

Rüdiger,

I couldn't agree with you more. If you look after those muscles, they will look after you. The vocal cords are no more than a set of muscles within the larynx. If you look after them properly with regular watering, you shouldn't get voice strain. Unless of course, you are speaking day and night.

I believe we are going down a very different path now than the OP originally requested. So, if he is happy with PGs shortened version, then the thread is effectively closed.

If I recall Rüdiger, you are an avid advocate of not needing to use Advanced Scripting unless absolutely necessary. Especially, when there is an acceptable Dragon inbuilt command that will do the job just fine.

Anyway, we are veering off topic and I hope the OP is happy and we can all get on with our lives.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

09/24/2020 04:24 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Anyway, we are veering off topic and I hope the OP is happy and we can all get on with our lives.

Tiger Feet,

Of course we are digressing, but this is just important because so many people keep reporting having problems with Dragon which they shouldn't have, if they only knew how to use it, instead of discussing and looking for workarounds.

Sure you should drink often enough over the course of the day, but talking doesn't matter that much. Talking comes naturally, for people.

In my day job, unless I am travelling, I typically either review documents, talk to people on the phone, or dictate. That amounts to speaking 75% + of the time.

Of course I get tired near the end of the day, but the talking by itself isn't the problem.

As far as Dragon, it's about learning to actually communicate with it the way you communicate with people successfully. People are typically very good at communicating with each other. At least from a speech perspective, and they can do this whenever they are awake, without using any workarounds, shortcuts or whatever.

DragonCapture Homepage

09/24/2020 02:50 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Count me among the advocates of "just because you can script it, doesn't mean you should."

I posted my command for the fun of it (concatenating ListVar1 with the rest of the phrase is just a bit of silliness that works) and mainly because the built in commands "minimize" and "maximize" fail to deploy sometimes so rather than adding two syllables (for "windows"), I took off one and the resulting two-syllable phrases are recognized pretty easily as a command by Dragon.

My personal version is DVC and includes "fling" which moves a window to another monitor while retaining relative position and size, and "swap" which does the same thing but keeps the original size and position, and "middy" which moves a window to the middle of the larger monitor (or same one if equal - you can always swap it, too) and makes it anywhere from 33-75% wide. Lastly, I have express positioning across 5 regions (2 on left monitor, 3 on right or whichever monitor is larger) that let me "choose [number]" from the "list all programs" and have it open where I want (despite where it currently is). Great for keeping several .pdf docs (some in separate tabs, some their own window) and word docs and browser screens open when reviewing same and dictating comments and analysis in another open doc. Probably my most used personal command is "choose [number] [placement]" for when calling up the next doc to attention from the "list all windows" result and I know where I want it, not where it is.

PG

09/26/2020 09:14 AM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

@ Rüdiger
I totally agree with you here and my point entirely although I do have to add something that wasn't mentioned.  Even with some breaks, food & regular drinks, at some point when using Dragon, you will become tired.  Only you know when that will be.  At this point, many mistakes can be made that only a good night sleep will cure.  Just thought I'd get that in quick before somebody else picked me up on it.

@ PG
Your scripting abilities are second to none and you have given the OP his answer as Rob has pointed out (although we haven't heard back from him yet). Some commands made are just downright clever and definitely time savers but some are risky too.

Even boilerplate text and graphics macros never cease to amaze me. This, where you can put your whole address or a complete signature in it. Then, to put it on screen by using a one syllabled name, never fails (although I would still advocate using at least 2 syllables or even 2 words here).

I merely look at it as you have stated, "just because you can script it, doesn't mean you should." However, I will agree, there are some Dragon commands that could be shortened.

Even Dragon's "go to the end of the line" or, "go to the beginning of the line." This can also be shortened with another Dragon command by saying, "end of line" or, "start of line."  Dragon will deliberately keep this command to at least 3 syllables because it is a safer option according to the Nuance programmers.  Yet, if you simply say, "font" in an open Word document, a single, syllabled word, it will immediately highlight the font window on the ribbon.  Then you can change your font.  The Nuance Programmers obviously saw fit that this single, syllabled word would be safe to use as a command in this particular application.

As pointed out above, Nuance has obviously tested one-syllabled commands, in areas such as Microsoft Word.  For example, you can say most of the menu on the ribbon at the top of an opened Word document.  Some you can say with one-word commands, some even with one syllabled commands.  "Home," "Insert," "Design," "Layout," "References, "Mailings," "Review," "View," "Help." Interestingly, you will notice that you cannot just say, "File" to open the file menu on top of a Word ribbon. You have to say , "open file" in this instance to open the file menu. In fact, in most cases, you can say exactly what you see on any of the Word menus for it to work.

I'm guessing that the Nuance programmers would have tried different variants and come up with the safest way of calling a command in their books. That is not to say you cannot shorten them within an advanced script.  Along with other uses, that is what the MyCommands Editor is for. The Nuance programmers leave the shortening of a tried and tested command to us. That is so nobody can complain to them if a shortened version fails occasionally.  I know that loads of you now will say that the Nuance programmers make plenty of mistakes that we report to them.  Yes, even the Nuance programmers are human and they do make mistakes.  Most of the reported errors are corrected in a patch or new version of Dragon so they do listen to us.

There are other examples. To make a space in Dragon you have to say, "space bar" or "press space." Two syllable examples deemed as safe according to the Nuance programmers I'm guessing. You cannot just say, "space" as Dragon will simply dictate that word out. No doubt, you could make "space" work in an advanced script but the Nuance programming department has not deemed this safe enough for one reason or another.

I do have to commend you though Philip for the MouseGrid fix. This is one command where the Nuance programmers have simply fell down. Well done.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

09/26/2020 04:32 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

I guess the Dragon programmers know best

But for those who want to go against the grain, boldly walk the slippery path to one syllable command names. Doing the math, being simple, thinking that saying one word instead of two or three (particularly when such a command is repeated hundreds of times per hour) may perhaps outweigh the occasional risk of misfiring. And after careful contemplation which specific one syllable words to use.... Have faith, you are not alone!

Here are some native Dragon command alternatives I've been using for years (also in the SP Demonstration videos). All strictly DVC of course. 

I don't think they even failed me once or interfered with my dictation for that matter (but that probably has to do with my Dutch accent):

Above

HeardWord "go","to","top"

or

SendKeys "{Ctrl+Home}"

Below

HeardWord "go","to","bottom"

or

SendKeys "{Ctrl+End}"

Switch

SendSystemKeys "{Alt+Tab}"

Switch Back

SendSystemKeys "{Shift+Alt+Esc}"

Glue

SendKeys "{Ctrl+v}"

Enter 

SendKeys "{Enter}"

And then of course there is the so-called "sssjjj" command for paging down in browsers (where you don't even have to use your vocal cords) as featured in this short video:

https://youtu.be/5DimlqDojlM

Recently I'm even using 's as the command name  works perfectly on my system:

sssjjj  or  's

SendSystemKeys "{Space}" 

09/27/2020 06:40 AM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

Rob, just used your 'sssjjj' command to scroll down the page. Very ingenious and that definitely saves on your vocal cords. Have you got something similar to that to scroll up the page without the use of your vocal cords?

Cheers

Tiger Feet

09/27/2020 10:33 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

shift space works to scroll up - after all these years I never realized that you can scroll/page webpages with the spacebar! A word of warning though - it does not seem to work everywhere. I think that using page up/down is more reliable. You can also simulate a mouse scroll wheel (even if your mouse doesn't have a scroll wheel) by sending the appropriate mouse commands.

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

09/27/2020 10:37 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Tiger Feet, in order to make it scroll up, you need to stand on your head while making the sound. Incidentally, as regards ingenuity, this technique has come a long way in the voice coding ecosystem and had recently been revived somewhere in the Caster/Talon community.

DragonCapture Homepage

09/27/2020 04:26 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Tiger Feet,

Like Edgar said Shift+Space works in browsers. I've been using it for years in a DVC command.

I stumbled on "sssjjj" trying to avoid "really" using my voice. But it's one of the very few not (really spoken) sounds that Dragon can identify and it doesn't work for everyone though.

The second one that comes close (somewhat) is "Chu". You can muffle away the "u" so that it has a similar feel:

Chu

SendSystemKeys "{Shift+Space}"

I tried "Pfff" but it only seemed to work once or twice and after that was not recognized anymore 

If anybody has additional ideas, by all means share them.

09/30/2020 12:23 PM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

@ Edgar
yes, I know of all the different variants to scroll up a page, "page up," "up 4," "move up," "press shift space" etc. I was just fascinated by just saying in effect, "Shh" (as in keep your voice down) that works in an advanced script to move the page bar down in a browser. No vocal cords used. I just wondered if there was a reverse action to move the scrollbar up without using the vocal cords as such?

Doesn't work in Windows Explorer though whereas "page up," or "page down" does. Nice as a novelty I suppose especially if you have lost your voice one morning.

@Rob
I tried your suggestion,

Command Name "Chu"

SendKeys "{Shift+Space}"

and I got this error

The Macro contains the error:
MyCommands "unknown"
Line 2
Position 0
Description (10111) Invalid key name. - A call to
WSALookupServiceEnd was made while this call was still processing.
The call has been cancelled.

Please use MyCommands Editor to make the appropriate corrections.

Because the name "Chu" sounds similar to "sssjjj" or "shh" (as in keep your voice down) when not using the vocal cords, they both perform the same function. If you barely say the word "Chu," then that error comes up as shown above. So, it failed miserably.

By the way, nobody said that the Nuance programmers know best. If you had taken the time to read my post properly, you would see that I mention that they make mistakes also. Probably more than most. The difference is, it is their reputation at stake if they start to get too risky with 1- or 2-word syllables. Whereas, you can be as risky as you like and I wish you well with your one- syllabled words.

One other thing, "scroll up," "scroll down" already there in Dragon, 2 syllables. "Above," "Below," made in advance script, 2 syllables. Both perform the same function in a browser. Am I missing something here?

Anyway, what's a syllable between friends?

@ Rüdiger
LOL, I see what you mean. Perhaps I have to stand on my head and blow up my own a*se to get the reverse sound for "page up." Perhaps if I whistle Dixie with a peg on my nose, the scrollbar will move up. Who knows, haven't tried that one yet.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

09/30/2020 01:27 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Tiger Feet One other thing, "scroll up," "scroll down" already there in Dragon, 2 syllables. "Above," "Below," made in advance script, 2 syllables. Both perform the same function in a browser. Am I missing something here?

The goal in these variants is much more about vocal ease than mere shortening.  It really is much easier for say "above" and "below" with their short initial vowel sounds, gentle consonants and their ending syllables trailing off gently, than it is to say "scroll up" and "scroll down" with that awkward diphthong, long "o" vowel sound and ending hard consonant.  I claim to be judicious in my use of these types of things and am strongly influenced by the principles in Utter Commands (may be the most important thing you read today).  For example, I "Require click" in the Dragon options so Word menus and the like do not have one-syllable commands for me (except where I scripted them).

Some interesting stuff about it here http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=12&threadid=30877

This has been an interesting thread, I appreciate your thoughts . . . Thx,

PG

09/30/2020 03:05 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Philip's point is what it's all about. Comfortable, natural feeling command names will most probably reduce voice stress and therefore will help avoiding voice strain in my humble opinion .

Some people may think otherwise but I think Voice Ergonomics are crucial particularly for hands-free users. It has always been a core ingredient in my SP products. SP Editor is the best example of that.

And yes, Kimberly Patch from Utter Command is a great source of inspiration when it comes to Ergonomic Voice Commands.

@TigerFeet:

The "Chu" script should actually be a DVC script and it works like a charm :-)

But for those who insist on using Advanced Scripting, I just converted to SendSystemKeys in my initial post.

09/30/2020 02:50 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Hah, Tiger Feet, now you are mentioning it, I remember that, during all the discussions about the ways to integrate the method of non-vocal, or sub-vocal sounds into speech recognition as a means to command recognition, a discussion which already started a lot more than a decade ago, although in quite other places than this, and therefore the idea isn't genuine really at all, a critique (not me this time) referred to it as the "burp, belch, and fart school of thought".

My personal take on this: No matter how much you get carried away when discovering custom commands, don't mess with it too hard.

DragonCapture Homepage

09/30/2020 02:52 PM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

The goal in these variants is much more about vocal ease than mere shortening. It really is much easier for say "above" and "below" with their short initial vowel sounds, gentle consonants and their ending syllables trailing off gently, than it is to say "scroll up" and "scroll down" with that awkward diphthong, long "o" vowel sound and ending hard consonant. I claim to be judicious in my use of these types of things and am strongly influenced by the principles in Utter Commands (may be the most important thing you read today).

Thank you for the patronising lesson but I too am familiar with Redstart Systems and have been for eons.
https://opusresearch.net/wordpress/2009/05/04/redstart-systems-utter-command-enhances-dragon-naturallyspeaking/  

I will agree, some of their perspectives on the use of grammar with Dragon are enthralling.

In this scenario though that doesn't wash with me. No need to digress from the ultimate argument. No need to muddy the waters. "Scroll up" / "scroll down" is no more difficult for me to say than "above" or "below." Same number of syllables and if the command is already in Dragon, why reinvent the wheel? Oh, and by the way, it hasn't damaged my vocal cords either.

This has been an interesting thread for me too and I appreciate your thoughts also . . .

Cheers

Tiger Feet

09/30/2020 04:08 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

Patronizing? I'm sorry! Not my intent - I have too much respect for your views over the years. More like justifying my own behavior in this instance. Anyway, I don't mind following RĂ¼diger's advice and keeping further examples to myself.

PG

09/30/2020 04:37 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

PG, my advice was certainly not directed at you, and you know that. Your examples are the most useful and intelligent posted in this place, but that doesn't hold true for a lot of others unfortunately.

DragonCapture Homepage

10/05/2020 09:20 AM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

Some people may think otherwise but I think Voice Ergonomics are crucial particularly for hands-free users.

We've already been down this road so I will repeat once more for those who do not read the posts properly.

You should never get voice strain as long as you look after your voice. You can do this simply by drinking water, little but often at regular intervals. Water preferably or soda water and cranberry juice to take the blandness away. For me, that is one of the most refreshing drinks I have ever tasted. I have either of those drinks every half-an-hour when I am dictating to lubricate my Vocal Cords. Make sure you breathe in adequately before you dictate what you want to say. Yes, the way you breathe is also important for dictation or saying commands. You should know this Rob as a singer.  Make sure you enunciate the words or commands clearly.  Avoid having snacks in between dictation sessions. Avoid drinking tea or coffee or anything with caffeine in. Avoid drinking alcohol or smoking or dictating in a room where somebody has smoked. Make sure you have regular breaks and eat at suitable intervals (as most people do throughout the day). If you feel tired, preferably take a break or nap as tiredness causes mistakes when dictating or calling commands.

Applying the above is all that you need to help with your Voice Ergonomics, not simply how you say the words to action a command. By adopting this logic, you should never get voice strain simply by speaking words no matter how they are pronounced whether it be "scroll up" or "above." Bearing in mind that these are commands. With dictation, you use your vocal cords far more than you do than with just calling commands. Commands are used occasionally when needed to perform an action whereas dictation is constant.

And please don't give me another link to say otherwise that is of the opinion of the other person(s) from that link. This is either to promote his or her opinion/blog or to sell you their software by swallowing the opinion of the poster.

It has always been a core ingredient in my SP products. SP Editor is the best example of that.

My point entirely. Just another sales pitch from somebody who wants to sell you their wares on this website for profit. I have no doubt that the software may help some but I have been using speech recognition since 2007. That is long before SP Editor came into being and I have got by just fine without it. Incidentally, I have been a hands-free user since 2004 so your Ergonomics theory doesn't wash with me. Anybody can use a link to put the point of view in their favour. Here's one from me and it cost absolutely nothing.

https://learnspeechrecognition.com/dragon/9-tips-healthy-voice-when-using-dictation/  

All I have ever needed in the way of third-party applications or hardware is Knowbrainer (free for the disabled), a SmartNav and further down the line SpeechStart +. That's it, that's my complete package. I don't need any more overpriced third-party software such as VoiceComputer as one example in my arsenal. Knowbrainer, given to me for free also has many innovative commands within it that can shorten a command. Often, as we have seen on these forums, using a command (even a two-syllabled command) can sometimes cause catastrophic circumstances as pointed out here.

http://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=3&threadid=34545&enterthread=y  

This wasn't boldly going down the route of discovery, this was a complete disaster as even Lunis will admit. Nevertheless, the majority of commands I use from Knowbrainer help me enough through the shortcut route.

Kimberley Patch of Redstart Systems and Utter Command I already know about and have done for a long time. I have already commented positively about this in my reply to PG. She is a resourceful innovator of speech; I don't disagree here. Some of her findings are ingenious, however, I do not happen to agree with everything she invokes. Please try to read my posts properly so we do not have to keep going over the same ground. Redstart Systems and Utter Commands are nothing new.

In some of the instances I will grant you, she has her merit advantages but not with "above," "below" over "scroll up," "scroll down" that is already hardcoded into Dragon and the same number of syllables. It is also not boldly going into the abyss by using a one syllabled word. Dragon has already demonstrated this within applications such as Word as I explained in a previous post of mine (or did you not read that too Rob?) I'm assuming they had tried and tested their one-syllabled commands to not fail or trip up elsewhere while in this application. Some one-syllabled words sound clumsy and so can trip up any command or even in dictation.

Back to your "sssjjj" & "Chu" commands in a DVC Script. Yes, you are correct, I have now got the "Chu" command to scroll up in sections within a browser. I also re-named the "sssjjj" command to "shh" as it performs the same sound.

I've also tried a few experiments using DVC scripts. I used the sound of "floo" to scroll down in sections without actually putting strain on the vocal cords. Almost whispering it. That, also worked. I also used the sound of "kaa" without needing to use the vocal cords for scrolling up in browsers. Therefore, logic tells us we can make a whole world of these commands in Dragon or Knowbrainer for different uses if we wish. "sssjjj," ("shh"), "Chu," "floo," "kaa" and how many more of these commands you want to use. Then tell me this, how on earth are you supposed to remember them all? I'll stick with something I can remember and that I know works thanks. Your vocal cords will be fine as long as you stick to the points I have mentioned above.

@PG
(may be the most important thing you read today).

What part of delivering that line to me is not patronising? You obviously assumed I was not familiar with Redstart Systems.

I am well aware of how capable and clever you are Phillip and I have a lot of respect for you too. I have learned a lot from you also over the years. What you did with the MouseGrid that was broken recently was amazing and I have said this earlier in a post somewhere. I also agree with Rüdiger, he was not directing anything at you because he respects you too. He was agreeing with me and mocking the command names that Rob put forward such as his "sssjjj" & "Chu" commands. 

Anyway, I don't mind following Rüdiger's advice and keeping further examples to myself.

If that is directed at me then I can live with that.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

Statistics
31793 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 731 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 733 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.