KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: questions about Dragon 15
Topic Summary: I have a few questions before upgrading to a new version of Dragon (from Dragon premium 13)
Created On: 06/05/2020 10:33 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 questions about Dragon 15   - Twisted_Code - 06/05/2020 10:33 AM  
 questions about Dragon 15   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/06/2020 12:25 AM  
 questions about Dragon 15   - Twisted_Code - 06/06/2020 11:54 AM  
 questions about Dragon 15   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/06/2020 12:32 PM  
 questions about Dragon 15   - Twisted_Code - 06/06/2020 01:03 PM  
Keyword
 06/05/2020 10:33 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Twisted_Code

I'm looking to upgrade to Dragon 15, but before I do, I had a few questions:

• first of all (and this is probably a silly question since I see 15 advertised on your shop page, but nonetheless): KB is compatible with Dragon 15, right? And what version of KB would I need?
  • Secondly, does anyone know if they fixed the issue I've been experiencing with Dragon 13, wherein it crashes (becoming unresponsive) whenever I try to interact with the Hot Keys tab of Dragon's options? This is one of the main reasons I started looking at upgrading to 15, so it would be nice to know if upgrading will address my original issue

-------------------------

"Don't argue with people who write with digital ink and pay by the kilowatt-hour." ~ Martin Golding

"Sometimes it pays to stay in bed on Monday, rather than spending the rest of the week debugging Monday's code" ~ Dan Salomon

“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” ~ Linus Travalds

06/06/2020 12:25 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

KnowBrainer 2017 is fully compatible with all editions of Dragon Ver. 13 - 15. 

There is only one version of KnowBrainer 2017 but it now includes our updated utility which gives you the last 4 years of commands that we were working on for KnowBrainer 2021, that you can have now. 

Please avoid generic terms such as “Dragon”. Try to be specific about not only your version but additionally your edition. We need that information. So… are you using Home Edition 13, Preferred 13 or Professional 13? It is much better to give us too much information rather then too little.

Ver. 13 is not fully Windows 10 compatible. For example, as you have noticed, you cannot change Ver. 13 hotkeys in Windows 10. Attempting to change the hotkey will always crash Ver. 13. The only way you can get around this is to directly edit the 
%PROGRAMDATA%\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking13\Users\[your user name]\current\options.ini file. We use our keyboard {Pause} Key as a microphone toggle. If you like this choice, add Microphone Hot Key=19,0 on a separate line of your options.ini file. This is just 1 of many reasons to upgrade to the DPI 15.3 (digital download).

PS: If edit your KnowBrainer Forum Profile (at the top of this page), in the event that you leave out some pertinent information, the forum members who are responding to your question, can find the information in your profile.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

06/06/2020 11:54 AM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code

ah, so that's where the options file is? I was going to try to edit that manually as you said, but wasn't sure where it was located (PS, I think you meant to say "%PROGRAMDATA%\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking13\Users\[your user name]\current\options.ini", since we are talking about my install of version 13, not 15)
I will try to keep that in mind about providing information, but in this case I was actually trying to be nonspecific since one time I remember being corrected (I think by you) over a difference in versions I don't even understand. As I recall, I called something NatSpeak when apparently there's a difference between that and Dragon NaturallySpeaking (DNS)? Part of my confusion being that the executable is natspeak.exe. Could you explain that?

Regardless of the exact details of why I was corrected, it led to me being uncertain as to what to call the version of Dragon I'm using (although according to the splash that shows up when I say "about Dragon", it appears to be "NaturallySpeaking Premium"), so I omitted nonessential information. Sorry about that, I was confused.

I'll take a look at my profile settings; thanks

edit: actually, I don't see a hotkey for the Dictation Box in options.ini. Could it be one of the other config files here?

"Don't argue with people who write with digital ink and pay by the kilowatt-hour." ~ Martin Golding

"Sometimes it pays to stay in bed on Monday, rather than spending the rest of the week debugging Monday's code" ~ Dan Salomon

06/06/2020 12:32 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Apologies. You are correct about the address being Ver. 13 rather than 15.

If you are referring to a difference in editions, this has to do with features but the reason why we brought it up, in this case, is because you can upgrade to DPI15 if you are using NaturallySpeaking Professional 13 but not if you are using Preferred 13.

There is no reasoning behind Nuance's naming convention. Nuance discontinued the term “NaturallySpeaking” in Ver. 14 but you can find the term everywhere in their addresses and help files. 

Nuance may use the name “NatSpeak” for the executable because they always have. Another possibility is that keeping the previous terms and addresses helps with upgrades and defaults but this is just a guess.

The default Dictation Box hotkey is {Ctrl+Shift+D}.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

06/06/2020 01:03 PM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code

yes I know what the default hotkey is, but I don't see it anywhere in the options file you directed me to in order for me to change or clear it (since I obviously can't change it from the options dialog because of the crash we were talking about). I was asking if you knew why I didn't see an option for it (and where else it might be), not if you knew what the default was.

Statistics
31594 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 283 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 283 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.