KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?
Topic Summary: It is better to turn Dragon off than to send it to sleep...
Created On: 04/01/2020 04:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Keyword
 04/01/2020 04:02 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

In another thread https://www.knowbrainer.com/forums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=4&threadid=33424&highlight_key=y&keyword1=asleep

there is the advice

Originally posted by: R. Wilke ... Use me  If you definitely don't use it for any amount of time lasting longer than 15 minutes perhaps, you should always turn the microphone completely off.

and, indeed, people say this all over the place now that I'm looking for it.

Q: has anyone written code to automatically turn Dragon "microphone off" if no speech has happened or greater than five minutes perhaps?

--

I have probably run into this a few times. I'm going to try to train myself not to say "go to sleep".

(Shoot, I said "goto sleep" as above, and it took 15 seconds to respond to "wake up".  That's annoying.)

I wonder if other ways of supposedly disabling speech have problems similar to sending the microphone to sleep:

(a) putting my headset on his charging stand (Sennheiser, per sig)

(b) muting using the button on the headset.

I would much rather use the mute button on the headset than have to say "microphone off", and, worse, click the DragonBar or use the hotkey to turn it back on.

-------------------------

DPG15.5 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, Dell Inspiron 7591 2-in-1, 64GB RAM, Intel Corei7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2304 Mhz, 4 Cores...

04/01/2020 04:34 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I have used a hotkey to toggle the microphone on and off since the early days of speech recognition. I'm surprised DPG 15.5 does not include a default hotkey (Num+). I'm guessing Nuance removed the hotkey assignment because they noticed few people use it. Which is too bad. A hotkey is a very good way to toggle the microphone, but it only works if one is in the habit.

Turning the microphone on and off via hotkey is among the first Dragon skills I teach people.
 04/01/2020 05:13 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

With the exception of Forcing command recognition and Forcing dictation recognition, Nuance is no longer assigning preset hotkeys. We suspect that Nuance is no longer supporting the usual hotkeys to reduce technical support calls about hotkey conflicts. Future releases of Dragon will probably be handled the same way.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

04/01/2020 06:19 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

If you want to save a hotkey, the Push-to-Talk Dragon hotkey, if and when assigned, also turns off the mic when that button stops being pushed so you can press it like the Mic on/off button and know you are turning it off for sure (whereas the Mic on/off toggle button actually sometimes turns the mic on - e.g., when it is already off but you didn't know it) . . .

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

04/02/2020 10:26 AM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: PG LTU If you want to save a hotkey, the Push-to-Talk Dragon hotkey, if and when assigned, also turns off the mic when that button stops being pushed so you can press it like the Mic on/off button and know you are turning it off for sure (whereas the Mic on/off toggle button actually sometimes turns the mic on - e.g., when it is already off but you didn't know it) . . .

This is a generic problem with keys that toggle a setting or cycle through a set of values, as opposed to setting it absolutely to on, off, or an explicit value.

I did not quite understand what you said, though, about press to talk.

I do not want to have to hold a key down all the time that I'm talking. Isn't that what press the talk provides? Much of the time when I'm speaking I am not actually close to a keyboard.

I thought perhaps I could just make CapLock into the press to talk hotkey, but that does not seem to work. Although that might be because I have other hotkeys hooked to CapsLock via AHK; indeed, I have things hooked to double and triple clicking of CapsLock.  

--

One of the problems I have with the default Dragon NumKey+ for toggle microphone on/off is that on my keyboard NumKey+ is actually Fn+P - i.e. I need to type Fn to get a virtual number pad out of the QWERTY keys. I might try remapping it to something easier to type, but my standard go to easier to type key is spacebar.  Something like Ctrl+SpaceBar.

(I use compact keyboards, because the reduced size reduces reach required, helping hand pain for when I still have to type.  Also, laptops.)

If there were a key sequence that reliably turn the Dragon microphone off rather than toggle it I might bind it to something like Ctrl+SpaceBar.  

But I see that Dragon's HotKey system seems to disallow me binding to Ctrl+SpaceBar. (Or perhaps it is my existing bindings for SpaceBar getting in the way. Although I don't have anything bound to Ctrl+SpaceBar at the moment.

Perhaps this would be a good reason for one of those big buttons, like https://www.compuphase.com/usbkey/rfbutton_en.htm

But it would still be nice to set it absolutely as opposed to toggling

DPG15.5 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, Dell Inspiron 7591 2-in-1, 64GB RAM, Intel Corei7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2304 Mhz, 4 Cores...

04/02/2020 11:05 AM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

It's far from ideal if you must press the Fn key to access a frequently-accessed hotkey. I would go so far as to say that pressing and/or holding any kind of modifier key (Fn, Shift, Ctrl, Alt, or Win) is not the best option for Dragon hotkeys.

Compact keyboards usually have more keys accessed by pressing and holding "Fn" -- so you may need a creative solution.

If the Function keys are mapped to media keys on your computer (e.g., press F5 to increase speaker volume), consider which set of keys you need more: the media keys or the function keys. For me, function keys are much more valuable than media keys, so I permanently disabled them via the Bios. But pne of my clients wanted the media keys, so we had far fewer options for Dragon hotkeys.

In recent months I have mapped these 14 unmodified keys, via Dragon, to toggle the microphone. All seem to work:

All 12 function keys.
Insert key
Pause key

NumLock and ScrollLock can be assigned, but I'd be wary of using them. I would advise against using Home, End, Page Up, Page Down, and the four arrow keys, as there may be conflicts with built-in Dragon scripts that send these keys.

Since you are using AutoHotkey, review your scripts for key conflicts with Dragon. It might make sense to shut down AutoHotkey before assigning Dragon hotkeys, reenable AutoHotkey, and then test to discover the conflicts. Then change the AutoHotkey assignments.

For one client, we really did run out of keys, so I used an X-Keys (a programmable keypad). We were forced to use a weird key combination in Dragon that involved two modifier keys at once. With the X-Keys, my client only had to press a single key to activiate/deactivate the microphone instead of three.
 04/03/2020 08:37 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Alan Cantor  For one client, we really did run out of keys, so I used an X-Keys (a programmable keypad). We were forced to use a weird key combination in Dragon that involved two modifier keys at once. With the X-Keys, my client only had to press a single key to activiate/deactivate the microphone instead of three.

Yeah, I have 2 X-key strips, one with four keys and one with 16 keys.   I was going down the path of lots of single key bindings (in AutoHotKey) to reduce typing before I remembered Dragon.

I'll probably do this, but nevertheless I'd still like to have a timeout. I suspect I will still forget to turn the microphone off, even if it is a single key.  Especially since I am often quite far away from my keyboard which is one of the joys of using Dragon.

By the way, I would thought that muting my microphone locally, on the headset, would be almost equivalent to microphone off from Dragon's point of view.  But a few experiments seem to show the following:

if I microphone off and have a phone conversation I can return to Dragon and resume pretty reliably,

If I send Dragon to sleep and do the same thing, I can much less reliably resume Dragon. This is as would be expected given the explanations you experts have provided.

Finally, if I use the mute button on the headset itself, Dragon has often misbehaved. It seems as if Dragon is doing something, if the microphone is on and Dragon is listening, even though the dictation source is locally disabled.

(I have noticed similar problems if I hang the headset up on its charging stand, neither muting nor turning Dragon's mike off. But I am less confident about those, because it's entirely possible that I haven't hung it on the stand properly, so it might still be listening.)

--

BTW: elsewhere I have asked about switching my headset between Dragon and a conferencing system like Zoom. When I tried this in the past I would tell Dragon to go to sleep while switching to Zoom... And now I understand why that would cause pretty bad problems. Next time I might try turning the Dragon microphone off my switch to zoom.  

This might be enough to make me enable SpeechStart+'s "MICROPHONE On" command: turn Dragon's microphone off, talk to Zoom, mute zoom and turn Dragon's microphone back on.

I assume that SpeechStart+ is also listening for the "MICROPHONE On" command. Why doesn't it have the same problems that Dragon's "Goto Sleep" mode command has?  Or does it?

04/02/2020 11:12 AM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

PTT does what it says. You push it and mic is on so you can talk. You stop pushing, mic turns off. So pressing and releasing it will turn the mic off. You can still use all the other methods to turn a mic on and leave it on and dictate so it's not required to press a button. I use the default Dragon hotkeys but also map a mouse side button and Caps Lock key to trigger that hotkey which triggers the PTT. I also have a macro I can turn on and off that then maps the space bar as PTT too, but pressing and releasing space provides a normal space rather than quick pressing the PTT to turn off the mic (so the macro waits until the space is held for .4 sec before engaging PTT). Alternatively, I use to use the "quick tap release and hold" on the spacebar to engage PTT but found that holding for .4 sec worked better (though I sometimes miss my first word).

If you need a hot key to turn on the mic (not toggle), write a macro that pushes and releases PTT, unambiguously turning off mic first, then presses the mic on/off toggle hotkey and voila the mic is on. You can also query the micstate property to see whether the mic is on or off . . .

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

04/09/2020 11:02 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

This problem finally caused me to understand the reason why PCByVoice SpeechStart+ has its "microphone on" command. I now very much prefer using "microphone off" and "microphone on" (with "acknowledge switch on") to "go to sleep"/"wake up".

I'd still like a timeout command though. But it's much lower on my list of things to do.

05/20/2020 08:47 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

As noted elsewhere I am trying to use a somewhat wearable Bluetooth media remote for Push to talk. It works, but the membrane button uncomforttable to hold down constantly comfortably. Although it's quite nice to just toggle on off via a button I am wearing as a ring or watchband (haven't decided which yet, trying both). quicker than microphone on/off.

if I can't get a nice PTT key, I am back to wanting a "microphone off" timeout.

Q: Is there an external script, e.g. Perl or Python or AHK, can tell what the state of Dragon is? Mic off/on, awake/asleep?

Failing that, I may just mute the microphone in Windoqws outside Dragon. That should be as good

Statistics
31556 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 303 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 303 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.