KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?
Topic Summary: It is better to turn Dragon off than to send it to sleep...
Created On: 04/01/2020 04:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/01/2020 04:02 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Alan Cantor - 04/01/2020 04:34 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/01/2020 05:13 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - PG LTU - 04/01/2020 06:19 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/02/2020 10:26 AM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Alan Cantor - 04/02/2020 11:05 AM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/03/2020 08:37 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - PG LTU - 04/02/2020 11:12 AM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/09/2020 11:02 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 05/20/2020 08:47 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/19/2020 05:23 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/19/2020 11:05 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/20/2020 06:55 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - jmcvay - 06/20/2020 03:29 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/20/2020 08:06 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/20/2020 08:13 PM  
Keyword
 06/20/2020 08:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: jmcvay I usually have one hand on my mouse and none on the keyboard when I'm working. It would be nice to be able to use one of the extra buttons on my mouse for PTT. Dragon can't assign a hotkey to do that, but it should be possible with AutoHotKey. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about AutoHotKey to do it myself. Anyone feel like doing some coding?

---+ BRIEF

It is not very much code at all:

file: MButton-to-F12.ahk

MButton:: F12

Unfortunately, doesn't help me, since I don't have my hand on my mouse or trackball.  (In fact, using the mouse and trackball is one of the main causes of my computeritis, one of the main things that I wish to avoid as much as possible.)

---+ DETAIL

This maps the middle button on my trackball (which I happen to have configured using Kensington software to the upper left button) to F12. And I have mapped F12 as Dragon's PTT hotkey.

I am using this  PTT trackball hotkey right now to write this. But I won't use it for much longer, because I don't usually have my hand near my trackball.

Replace MButton and F12 with  whatever key your mouse/trackpad generates, and whatever key you're willing to dedicate to Dragon PTT.

As usual, the problem is finding a key that Dragon can understand, but you aren't using for something else. As usual, Dragon is the bottleneck.

Dragon has a very much more restricted set of key codes that it understands than AutoHotKey and other such software.  For example, Dragon does not seem to accept any of my mouse/trackball button keys as the PTT hotkey - not MButton, not XBuuton1, not XButton2, ...    So if those are the only keycodes you have available on your mouse or trackball, , you have to usde AHK to map one of them to one of the keycodes Dragon does accept for the PTT hotkey, as I have done above.

My usual  approach is to emit  a keycode that is not used by most of the software I use. E.g. function keys F13-F24  are not very often used -  but Dragon does not accept these as PTT hotkeys.  often my scripts can emit a scan code or virtual murder that is not often used -  but again, Dragon does not seem to allow or recognize any such scan code  that are not in the very small set  of standard keys.    sometimes I emit numpad keys, numpad zero from normal zero.

Hmm... Dragon does distinguish {Up} (which I get from Numpad) from {ExtUp} (which I get from non-numpad cursor motion keys - so those might be available.

Often I overload modifier+keys like LAlt+LCtrl+LiftShift+F12, which I map from tyhe media remote I wear on my wrist.  But this sort of Modifier remapping works best for transient keys, not for keys that you hold down for a long time while other keys are pressed,  whether by you, or sent by other scripts. You might be able to get away with modifier based PTP keys, but it really depends on what other keys you are sending keying from your speech commands, and how the receiving apps handle them. 

Oh, yeah: AutoHotKey distinguishes things like LShift and RShift but Dragon does not. So you lose that sort of  distinction.

---

come to think of it, it might be better not to use the Dragon PTT hotkey at all: just have AutoHotKey bind the up/down of your PTT key  to a script that turns the global mic on or off.  At least this would avoid Dragon being the bottleneck, and avoid you having to waste one of the small number of keys the Dragon can bind to as a PTT hotkey.

---

But these are just the usual problems that one finds using AutoHotKey, especially to drive an app like Dragon that has a limited hotkey repertoire. 

They are not the reason that I'm not using the PTT hockey.

I'm not using the PTT  hotkey because I usual do not have my hand near the mouse or my keyboard. Nor even any of the several extension key devices I have, like the Xkey-4.

I am hoping to find a button device that I can wear, e.g. on my wrist or even better as a ring.   I am pretty happy with the media remote that I have found, except that it (they)  emit both the down and up events when the button is pressed down. They don't emit anything that I can see when the button is released. That is unfortunately quite common.  Also, the simple membrane buttons take too much force to press down. Indeed, I am finding that my fingers and thumb are getting fatigued using them to hold down my trackball button which is currently bound as PTT.   When I have used such long-duration presses in the past, I have found them best used with buttons that have very light touch/pressure, typically large - eg the spacebar.  

(Hmm, a trackpad surface that could distinguish N-finger touch might be good - But again, not for my application, I need to wear the thing.)

-------------------------

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

Statistics
31795 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 550 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 551 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.