KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?
Topic Summary: It is better to turn Dragon off than to send it to sleep...
Created On: 04/01/2020 04:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/01/2020 04:02 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Alan Cantor - 04/01/2020 04:34 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/01/2020 05:13 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - PG LTU - 04/01/2020 06:19 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/02/2020 10:26 AM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Alan Cantor - 04/02/2020 11:05 AM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/03/2020 08:37 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - PG LTU - 04/02/2020 11:12 AM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/09/2020 11:02 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 05/20/2020 08:47 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/19/2020 05:23 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/19/2020 11:05 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/20/2020 06:55 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - jmcvay - 06/20/2020 03:29 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/20/2020 08:06 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/20/2020 08:13 PM  
Keyword
 06/19/2020 05:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Update after a month of wearing a remote on a wristband that turns Dragon's microphone on/off..

I very much like it! But...

(I would prefer a push-to-talk button on my wrist, but have not found a wearable device that can do that.)

Failing that...

Toggling the Dragon microphone on or off from my wrist is really good,

But I occasionally forget to toggle off or a few minutes, and Dragon puts the microphone to sleep after a timeout. The default timeout is one minute, but because I found that annoying I had increased it to five minutes.

Unfortunately, when Dragon puts the microphone to sleep I get all the usual bad problems described by Dragon experts in this forum: basically when Dragon is woken up from being asleep, there can be a very long wait for Dragon starts responding again, apparently processing, since asleep does not mean not listening. In addition to the annoyingly long wait, if you have said any commands during that period, and sometimes before I think, all of the usual problems with commands that get queued up occur.

So I would much prefer that the microphone was turned completely off rather than going to sleep after a delay.

Q: Is there any way to turn the Dragon microphone off after a time threshold? T

That was the question that started this for men, and since nobody has answered that question[*], assume that nobody on this forum knows of such a thing. 

Note *: except to recommend push to talk, which I suppose corresponds to a timeout of zero after the PTT button is released, does not correspond to a timeout after the last useful speech command.

Q: Is there any way to tell, from another program, whether Dragon is awake, asleep, or in the microphone off state?

If I knew  how to do this, I could write my own timeout. Well, almost.  I could poll this state  every minute or so,  but that would miss  short periods where the mic  was turned off and then on again within the polling interval.

Dragon's recognition history shows the timestamp of commands.  Q:  is there any way to read the timestamp of the last command from the recognition history from a different program?

Hmm, that gets me thinking: Is there a Dragon logfile that gets updated only when a command is actually recognized Maybe  C:\ProgramData/Nuance/NaturallySpeaking15/logs/USERS/Dragon.log? ...  So can a script can poll that timestamp, looking for changes? ... Nope, not quite.  It looks like Dragon.log is updated even when the microphone is off, e.g.  if a new app is opened, 

But, within Dragon.log, there are messages like

DRAGONBAR: Info: onDgnMic_MicStateChanged dgnmicOn received

DRAGONBAR: Info: onDgnMic_MicStateChanged dgnmicff received

DRAGONBAR: Info: onDgnMic_MicStateChanged dgnmicSleeping received

so it looks like I can tell what the microphone state is by filtering Dragon.log.

which should give me enough to create a timeout command to turn the mic off.

--

Can also filter Dragon.log for SPEECH vs NONSPEECH uterrances.  But this won't distinguish actually using Dragon, from leaving the mic on while a radio is playing nearby.

It might be necessary to have such a timeout command to say/ask: "The Dragon mic has been on for a very long time. Are you actually still using it?  Say blah-blah-blah if you want to continue."

--

Similarly, it would be nice to automatically disable the global PC non-Dragon mic, and video camera, if left running.  But heuristics to distinguish actual use from idleness seem to require more - at least Dragon has the SPEECH/NONSPEECH utterances in Dragon.log, which can definitely say "not in use", but which cannot reliably say "in actual use".    Asking the user may be necessary here, too.

--

however, looking at Dragon.log violates good programming practice:  one should not look at a log file that is not documented, its contents can be changed at any time (or at the next software release), if there is any  better alternative.  as far as I can tell there is no better alternative.

with respect to Dragon, it's just another drop in the pond:    good programming practice also says that you should not put "wait "  in a program thatt you want to be reliable, nor should you drive  other programs through keyboard commands, or at the very least keyboard commands that are relative or toggle,  and not keyboard commands  that changes based on context  that you cannot observe. 

But it looks like I can at least write such a program, even though it will probably break at some future Dragon release. I'm not sure if I should smile, frown, or just cry out in despair.

(Until  I write a script, I've had fairly good results setting the Dragon microphone timeout to the maximum, 2 hours.  So far it seems that the problems I when  Dragon microphone is on are less than the problems get when the microphone is asleep.  but Dragon microphone off is even better.)

-------------------------

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

Statistics
31795 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 542 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 544 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.