KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?
Topic Summary: It is better to turn Dragon off than to send it to sleep...
Created On: 04/01/2020 04:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/01/2020 04:02 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Alan Cantor - 04/01/2020 04:34 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/01/2020 05:13 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - PG LTU - 04/01/2020 06:19 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/02/2020 10:26 AM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Alan Cantor - 04/02/2020 11:05 AM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/03/2020 08:37 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - PG LTU - 04/02/2020 11:12 AM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/09/2020 11:02 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 05/20/2020 08:47 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/19/2020 05:23 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/19/2020 11:05 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/20/2020 06:55 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - jmcvay - 06/20/2020 03:29 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/20/2020 08:06 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/20/2020 08:13 PM  
Keyword
 04/03/2020 08:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Alan Cantor  For one client, we really did run out of keys, so I used an X-Keys (a programmable keypad). We were forced to use a weird key combination in Dragon that involved two modifier keys at once. With the X-Keys, my client only had to press a single key to activiate/deactivate the microphone instead of three.

Yeah, I have 2 X-key strips, one with four keys and one with 16 keys.   I was going down the path of lots of single key bindings (in AutoHotKey) to reduce typing before I remembered Dragon.

I'll probably do this, but nevertheless I'd still like to have a timeout. I suspect I will still forget to turn the microphone off, even if it is a single key.  Especially since I am often quite far away from my keyboard which is one of the joys of using Dragon.

By the way, I would thought that muting my microphone locally, on the headset, would be almost equivalent to microphone off from Dragon's point of view.  But a few experiments seem to show the following:

if I microphone off and have a phone conversation I can return to Dragon and resume pretty reliably,

If I send Dragon to sleep and do the same thing, I can much less reliably resume Dragon. This is as would be expected given the explanations you experts have provided.

Finally, if I use the mute button on the headset itself, Dragon has often misbehaved. It seems as if Dragon is doing something, if the microphone is on and Dragon is listening, even though the dictation source is locally disabled.

(I have noticed similar problems if I hang the headset up on its charging stand, neither muting nor turning Dragon's mike off. But I am less confident about those, because it's entirely possible that I haven't hung it on the stand properly, so it might still be listening.)

--

BTW: elsewhere I have asked about switching my headset between Dragon and a conferencing system like Zoom. When I tried this in the past I would tell Dragon to go to sleep while switching to Zoom... And now I understand why that would cause pretty bad problems. Next time I might try turning the Dragon microphone off my switch to zoom.  

This might be enough to make me enable SpeechStart+'s "MICROPHONE On" command: turn Dragon's microphone off, talk to Zoom, mute zoom and turn Dragon's microphone back on.

I assume that SpeechStart+ is also listening for the "MICROPHONE On" command. Why doesn't it have the same problems that Dragon's "Goto Sleep" mode command has?  Or does it?

-------------------------

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

Statistics
31795 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 562 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 564 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.