KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?
Topic Summary: It is better to turn Dragon off than to send it to sleep...
Created On: 04/01/2020 04:02 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/01/2020 04:02 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Alan Cantor - 04/01/2020 04:34 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/01/2020 05:13 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - PG LTU - 04/01/2020 06:19 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/02/2020 10:26 AM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Alan Cantor - 04/02/2020 11:05 AM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/03/2020 08:37 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - PG LTU - 04/02/2020 11:12 AM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 04/09/2020 11:02 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 05/20/2020 08:47 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/19/2020 05:23 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/19/2020 11:05 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/20/2020 06:55 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - jmcvay - 06/20/2020 03:29 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/20/2020 08:06 PM  
 Has anyone written a timeout command to turn the Dragon mic off?   - Ag - 06/20/2020 08:13 PM  
Keyword
 04/01/2020 06:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

If you want to save a hotkey, the Push-to-Talk Dragon hotkey, if and when assigned, also turns off the mic when that button stops being pushed so you can press it like the Mic on/off button and know you are turning it off for sure (whereas the Mic on/off toggle button actually sometimes turns the mic on - e.g., when it is already off but you didn't know it) . . .

-------------------------

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

04/02/2020 10:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: PG LTU If you want to save a hotkey, the Push-to-Talk Dragon hotkey, if and when assigned, also turns off the mic when that button stops being pushed so you can press it like the Mic on/off button and know you are turning it off for sure (whereas the Mic on/off toggle button actually sometimes turns the mic on - e.g., when it is already off but you didn't know it) . . .

This is a generic problem with keys that toggle a setting or cycle through a set of values, as opposed to setting it absolutely to on, off, or an explicit value.

I did not quite understand what you said, though, about press to talk.

I do not want to have to hold a key down all the time that I'm talking. Isn't that what press the talk provides? Much of the time when I'm speaking I am not actually close to a keyboard.

I thought perhaps I could just make CapLock into the press to talk hotkey, but that does not seem to work. Although that might be because I have other hotkeys hooked to CapsLock via AHK; indeed, I have things hooked to double and triple clicking of CapsLock.  

--

One of the problems I have with the default Dragon NumKey+ for toggle microphone on/off is that on my keyboard NumKey+ is actually Fn+P - i.e. I need to type Fn to get a virtual number pad out of the QWERTY keys. I might try remapping it to something easier to type, but my standard go to easier to type key is spacebar.  Something like Ctrl+SpaceBar.

(I use compact keyboards, because the reduced size reduces reach required, helping hand pain for when I still have to type.  Also, laptops.)

If there were a key sequence that reliably turn the Dragon microphone off rather than toggle it I might bind it to something like Ctrl+SpaceBar.  

But I see that Dragon's HotKey system seems to disallow me binding to Ctrl+SpaceBar. (Or perhaps it is my existing bindings for SpaceBar getting in the way. Although I don't have anything bound to Ctrl+SpaceBar at the moment.

Perhaps this would be a good reason for one of those big buttons, like https://www.compuphase.com/usbkey/rfbutton_en.htm

But it would still be nice to set it absolutely as opposed to toggling

-------------------------

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

Statistics
31795 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 527 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 529 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.