KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Homographs (words spelled the same but pronounced differently)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/01/2020 03:28 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Homographs (words spelled the same but pronounced differently)   - Grandslam - 04/01/2020 03:28 AM  
 Homographs (words spelt the same but pronounced differently)   - Stephan Kuepper - 04/01/2020 04:28 AM  
 Homographs (words spelt the same but pronounced differently)   - Grandslam - 04/01/2020 04:40 AM  
 Homographs (words spelt the same but pronounced differently)   - Stephan Kuepper - 04/01/2020 08:18 AM  
 Homographs (words spelt the same but pronounced differently)   - PG LTU - 04/01/2020 11:29 AM  
 Homographs (words spelled the same but pronounced differently)   - Stephan Kuepper - 04/22/2020 04:15 AM  
Keyword
 04/01/2020 03:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Grandslam

Hi all,

Is there any way to add homographs to vocabulary? These are words which are spell the same but have variant pronunciations - e.g. bow (front of the ship) and bow (type of knot).

The one I am having problems with is second (deploy to another department or organisation - pronounced sec-ONd) and second (1/60 of one minute - pronounced sec-end).

Vocabulary has a single listing for "second" - is there any way to record variant pronunciations?

04/01/2020 04:28 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

This is exactly what the spoken form is for in the vocabulary. You can enter the written form on the left-hand side and the spoken form on the right-hand side.

Go for something like "seck ond" in the spoken form.

The question is whether you need to do that at all, or whether you can simply pronounce the word as "second" – after all, the spelling is identical, even if the pronunciation isn't. So it doesn't really matter how you pronounce it, as long as Dragon gets the word right.

You may also train the words from within the Vocabulary Editor, but training has been known to have little or no effect on Dragon.

Hope that helps, Stephan

-------------------------

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

04/01/2020 04:40 AM

Author Icon
Grandslam

Originally posted by: Stephan Kuepper This is exactly what the spoken form is for in the vocabulary. You can enter the written form on the left-hand side and the spoken form on the right-hand side. Go for something like "seck ond" in the spoken form. The question is whether you need to do that at all, or whether you can simply pronounce the word as "second" – after all, the spelling is identical, even if the pronunciation isn't. So it doesn't really matter how you pronounce it, as long as Dragon gets the word right. You may also train the words from within the Vocabulary Editor, but training has been known to have little or no effect on Dragon. Hope that helps, Stephan

Thanks Stephen. Only thing is, in this case there are 2 spoken forms (SecONd and SECend), but only one vocabulary entry. You can only have one spoken form for each word. Unless it will let me enter another entry for "second" with a different spoken form?

Same issue with training the word in Vocabulary Editor - because there are 2 pronunciations for the same word, you have the issue where you can only train one pronunciation.

I did consider just pronouncing the word as "second", however in this case the smart formatting rules will output "2nd", which I then need to correct. I realise this is probably the only homograph where this is an issue however, so maybe I just need to live with it.

04/01/2020 08:18 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

You can have as many spoken forms as you want for one word - but you are right, you need to create another entry. In fact, this is common practice, and has been discussed frequently on this forum - witness all the discussions about "period", "Katy with a Y" and so on. It's how I deal with my own first name - "Stephan with P H".

Remember the spoken form is what Dragon actually needs to recognize, and then transform it into whatever written form is appropriate. You don't say "two no-caps no-space N D" to produce "2nd", do you. The tricky thing is to differentiate between homophones, not homographs.

Homework for April Fool's day, create a vocabulary with all the spoken forms in the language and the identical written form "April Fool!" Doable, albeit senseless.

Stephan

(still mad as a March hare, apparently)

04/01/2020 11:29 AM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

I sorta disagree to a small extent that using klugey words like "seck ond" answer this fully. I'd prefer adding various phrases that have the word "second" used that way and then train the phrase. On the other hand, "Stephan with P H" and the like works because they are phrases and each word continues to be used in its proper lexicographic way. Also words that aren't in the vocab (I use "romanet" which is not a word until it is defined) so in that sense "seck ond" works but then you lose the semantic meaning of "second" used that alternative way.

Hey whatever works though,

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

04/22/2020 04:15 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

Carl, could you open a new thread for that question since is unrelated to the above thread.

Thank you, Stephan

Statistics
31556 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 555 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 556 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.