KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: "The sound system you have selected is not responding..."
Topic Summary: What does that notification usually mean?
Created On: 03/25/2020 10:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 "The sound system you have selected is not responding..."   - geoff1859 - 03/25/2020 10:07 PM  
 "The sound system you have selected is not responding..."   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/26/2020 12:27 AM  
 "The sound system you have selected is not responding..."   - geoff1859 - 03/26/2020 01:08 AM  
 "The sound system you have selected is not responding..."   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/26/2020 10:51 AM  
 "The sound system you have selected is not responding..."   - Stephan Kuepper - 03/26/2020 11:14 AM  
 "The sound system you have selected is not responding..."   - geoff1859 - 03/26/2020 06:49 PM  
Keyword
 03/25/2020 10:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
geoff1859

Greetings KnowBrainers.

I can't get the mic icon to go from red to green, despite having tried:

> three external USB sound cards (2 Buddy 6Gs + an Andrea);

> plugging my old Plantronics headset microphone directly into 3.5mm ports.

The message I get is also confusing"

"The sound system you have selected is not responding. Try selecting a different one, or check to make sure that no other application, such as DNS, is accessing the sound system."

So I attempted to set up the headset with DNS open and also closed. No good either way.

I'm waiting for a new headset, and it's just possible that the old Plantronics has failed for DNS purposes, though it still works as headphone only. At present, I don't have another headset/mic to test.

Any suggestions? (I'm returning to DNS after a long break, so I may be overlooking something basic.)

(Windows 10; DNS-15 DPI, 15.3; HP Prodesk 600 G5, i7; 8GB)

03/26/2020 12:27 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Your built-in sound system may or may not be recognized by Dragon, let alone work. Don't worry about that.

We certainly don't recommend purchasing another Plantronics microphone. While Plantronics typically meets our minimum standards, they only meet our minimum standards. Having said that, you may not even need a new USB Microphone. For unknown reasons, in some Windows 10 installations, microphone input is disabled. Try searching for “how to fix USB microphone not working” in the Quick Tips PDF which you will find under the Quick Tips button at the top of this page.

Of course you should also try creating another user profile to see if your microphone works. Now that you don't have to train Dragon, it only takes a couple of minutes to create a new user profile.

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

03/26/2020 01:08 AM

Author Icon
geoff1859

Thanks Lunis. No, no more Plantronics. And I don't know what it's like there where you are, but because people here (Australia) are being encouraged to work from home, it's almost impossible to get a headset of any sort, let alone one that I would actually prefer...

Geoff

03/26/2020 10:51 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Many brick-and-mortar stores are being forced to temporary close in the US but mail order companies, like Amazon, are booming. As a mail order company ourselves, we are currently not having trouble obtaining stock but admittedly, there could be some delays in the near future because nearly all microphones are manufactured in China. If you wind up needing a new microphone, you should be able to obtain 1 of our microphone recommendations through a local mail-order retailer, like Amazon.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

03/26/2020 11:14 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

Wow, calling Amazon a local mail order retailer really is a stretch. Talk about global village :-)

Other than that, Lunis is correct. Due to the corona virus, all manufacturers of headsets have issues. Sennheiser alone has six-figure back orders in Germany at the moment. So you may be lucky to find somebody who is willing to part with their headset, albeit at an obscene price.

Be that as it may, the message that you get in Dragon does not have anything to do with the actual headset. Rather, it is a software issue: Dragon thinks that your sound system is busy elsewhere and is therefore not available for dictation into Dragon. What I like most about the message is to make sure that no other application such as Dragon is accessing the sound system.

When we got this message for the first time, the culprit was actually the Windows privacy settings, which deactivated global microphone access after a Windows update. In recent Windows updates, you can still activate or deactivate microphone access for various applications, so make sure that you haven't inadvertently turned it off. Use the Windows search function to search for privacy settings and see if that resolves your issue.

We have also seen cases of the antivirus software blocking microphone access. In rare cases, it may even be another audio application grabbing the microphone  try to eliminate all other applications that might access the microphone, including your browser and remote access software.

Hope that helps, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

03/26/2020 06:49 PM

Author Icon
geoff1859

Thanks Stephan and Lunis. After having gone through the same steps several times, in exactly the same manner, headset is now working.

For a while, I couldn't get DNS to open at all, but persisted and it eventually opened.

(Never been so happy to have an old Plantronics headset...)

Statistics
31556 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 292 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 292 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.