KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: DPI15 - PowerPoint Add-in ?
Topic Summary: DPI15 - PowerPoint Add-in ?
Created On: 03/20/2020 10:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 DPI15 - PowerPoint Add-in ?   - SP1968 - 03/20/2020 10:31 PM  
 DPI15 - PowerPoint Add-in ?   - Stephan Kuepper - 03/23/2020 04:09 AM  
 DPI15 - PowerPoint Add-in ?   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/23/2020 10:58 AM  
 DPI15 - PowerPoint Add-in ?   - harpalus - 03/24/2020 01:18 AM  
 DPI15 - PowerPoint Add-in ?   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/24/2020 01:08 PM  
 DPI15 - PowerPoint Add-in ?   - Stephan Kuepper - 03/24/2020 04:03 AM  
 DPI15 - PowerPoint Add-in ?   - Ag - 03/25/2020 08:44 PM  
 DPI15 - PowerPoint Add-in ?   - Lunis Orcutt - 03/25/2020 11:54 PM  
 DPI15 - PowerPoint Add-in ?   - Ag - 03/28/2020 08:09 PM  
 DPI15 - PowerPoint Add-in ?   - lifeisgood - 03/27/2020 08:34 AM  
Keyword
 03/20/2020 10:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SP1968

Hi,

I am using DPI15 and am trying to get the application to work within Microsoft PowerPoint (office 365 version).

Whenever I try to try using speech I get a pop-up saying "please say that again". I have had a look at the Microsoft office

I have checked the location folder where the DLL file is located for Word and Excel however there does not seem to be a PowerPoint option available.

According to the Nuance documentation PowerPoint should be supported – can anyone suggest a method to get it working.

Thanks Stephen

03/23/2020 04:09 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

PowerPoint is certainly not supported in terms of fulltext control. This means that you should be able to dictate into PowerPoint (of course, in edit mode, not while presenting), but you won't be able to select or correct anything by voice, position the cursor, and so forth. In fact, Dragon should open its dictation box when you try to dictate into PowerPoint, where you have fulltext control. Try saying "open dictation box" and see what happens. If you don't want the dictation box to open, you can deselect it to work with this particular application.

Lunis, Rob and others should tune in soon offering you their various solutions to dictate into non--full text control applications without using the dictation box. My completely unqualified opinion is that if you dictate into PowerPoint, your presentations will have far too much text.

Hope that helps, Stephan

-------------------------

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

03/23/2020 10:58 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World's Only Speech Recognition Forum

Only a handful of applications are Dragon friendly (Full Text Control) such as 
Word, Outlook, DragonPad, WordPad, Notepad and a few browsers. Select-&-Say is not available in PowerPoint but you have a few options that can make PowerPoint dictation considerably easier.

1. Look up How to Enable Dictation in Non-Dragon friendly Apps in our knowledge base, which you can open when you click the Quick Tips button at the top of this page. Note that while the previous instructions on editing the nsuser.ini will hopefully enable dictation, it will still be somewhat clumsy because you will not only be unable to select/edit and correct your text, you additionally won't be able to enjoy proper spacing and capitalization. We refer to this as Dumb Dictation.

2. You can dictate into Dragon's Dictation Box or SP Pro (third party Dictation Box on steroids) but you will have to undergo the additional step of transferring your dictation to PowerPoint and not exactly user-friendly.

3. You can use DragonCapture which incorporates a hidden text box that will automatically transfer your text when you stop speaking. It will seem like you are directly smart  dictating into PowerPoint. Another advantage is that you will always have proper capitalization and spacing. Even if Dragon refuses to dictate directly into PowerPoint, DragonCapture will force that dictation.

4. KnowBrainer 2017 already includes the Type <dictation>  command which is used for correcting, preserving spacing and even checking for capitalization; before additionally moving your cursor to the end of the paragraph. However, as of this weekend, we added pseudo-Select-&-Say commands for programs like PowerPoint. This means after you dictate, you can say <Select/Delete/Capitalize/Bold/Underline/Italasize> <dictation>; the same way you work with Microsoft Word. When you combine KnowBrainer 2017 with DragonCapture, dictation and correcting/editing may work as well as working in Microsoft Word.  

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

03/24/2020 01:18 AM

Author Icon
harpalus

Um, is DPI 15.3 really compatible with Outlook? If I try and do things in Outlook by using DPI 15.3, a freeze will soon occur. If Outlook is open and I am working in another application such as Microsoft Word, a freeze will soon also occur. I used to have no problems whatsoever with Outlook but now I can't use DPI 15.3 when Outlook is running. Nuance is simply not keeping DPI 15.3 up to date as regards compatibility with recent versions of software. I have an office 365 subscription and apparently don't have a choice of using older versions of office that might still be compatible with DPI 15.3. I can't help wondering if Nuance has abandoned the product because it fixed the freezing problem with the group version but has done nothing for users of DPI.

GaryN

03/24/2020 01:08 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

The Nuance developers have had full Outlook 2019 support for about 2 years. You can probably forget about another DPI 15 patch. You will have to wait for Ver. 16 because Nuance doesn't typically release a patch within 15 months of the next release.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

03/24/2020 04:03 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

Since you're asking - no, not quite.

Microsoft is updating their versions of Microsoft office at a rate that makes it extremely hard to keep up for third-party developers, of which Nuance is one. If you have got the latest version of Microsoft Outlook, chances are that Dragon does not fully support it. Whether there will be any service Pack for Dragon Professional Individual to address the issue, is anyone's guess.

However, there have been enough issues with Microsoft Office and Dragon 15 in the past, so that even earlier versions of Microsoft Office may not work properly with Dragon. Issues when switching between Outlook and Word are quite common. I'm afraid there's not much we can do about it, except to leave it to Nuance development and hope for the best.

Hope that helps, Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

03/25/2020 08:44 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Stephen: I am using DPI15 and am trying to get the application to work within Microsoft PowerPoint (office 365 version).

Stephan Kuepper: PowerPoint is certainly not supported in terms of fulltext control. This means that you should be able to dictate into PowerPoint (of course, in edit mode, not while presenting), but you won't be able to select or correct anything by voice, position the cursor, and so forth. 

Interesting. I thought that OneNote was the only Office app where Microsoft neglected to enable speech fulltext control.

By coincidence, I was looking for a drawing/diagramming solution earlier this week.  Typically I use Visio or PowerPoint, but since I work with "open source folk" who don't like using proprietary programs, I thought that I would try LibreOffice Impress, their PowerPoint alternative, a try.

To my surprise, LibreOffice Impress actually seems to do fulltext control.  Haven't banged on it much, but at least it knows how to open a correction box.

Other posts in this forum say that OpenOffice is even better wrt speech support.

If my PC had not started dying, I would be using LibreOffice Impress to make drawings right now.  Probably complaining bitterly about the UI, writing KnowBrainer commands...

Even better, since {Libre,Open}Office are open source, there's a chance that we could create a more robust command binding than sending keystrokes.

DPG15.5 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, Dell Inspiron 7591 2-in-1, 64GB RAM, Intel Corei7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2304 Mhz, 4 Cores...

03/25/2020 11:54 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Are you certain you have Select-&-Say capability in OpenOffice Writer or Libra Writer? While we can dictate in either application, we cannot verbally select text without the KnowBrainer Select <dictation> "cheater" command. Now that you mention it, Libra Writer was Dragon friendly sometime last year. You might want to check out the latest versions but it does seem to work well with DragonCapture and KnowBrainer. We experimented with both of these applications last weekend. In fact, you might not even notice that these word processors are not Dragon friendly. You can even utilize the new Insert <Before or After> <dictation> commands, which were not included in our original answer.

Only Microsoft Word, Outlook and Excel are Dragon friendly but for the life of us, we have no idea why Nuance felt the need to develop Select-&-Say for Excel. We use Excel spreadsheets for our customers and found it easier to disable the Dragon add-in which which is prone to freezing Dragon. PowerPoint, OneNote, and Access are not Dragon friendly.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

03/28/2020 08:09 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

[Q] Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt Are you certain you have Select-&-Say capability in OpenOffice Writer or Libra Writer? While we can dictate in either application, we cannot verbally select text without the KnowBrainer Select  "cheater" command. Now that you mention it, Libra Writer was Dragon friendly sometime last year.

[/Q]

My bad, sorry if I raised false hopes - in myself and others.

I had DragonCapture running in AutoPaste mode.  Sayiing "Here is some text" then "Correct text" raised the usual correction box - but apparently for the hidden DragonCapture box, already empty because of AutoPaste.

I had reason to hope, since scattered web.rumours said that OpenOffice has relatively good Dragon support.  I was about to uninstall LibreOffice and try OpenOffice, when I accidentally said "Correct XXX" to LibreOffice, and saw that aforementioned correction box.

LibreOffice and OpenOffice share open source DMA, so I hoped that LO might have ported OO's code over.  Toobad :-(

I suppose that I may still try OpenOffice with Dragon.

• Choose OpenOffice.org Writer for Documents - dummies

https://www.dummies.com/software/dragon-naturally...

...In Version 11.5 of NaturallySpeaking, Nuance has added commands that can be used directly with OpenOffice.org Writer 3.1, 3.2, and 3.3.

• Working in OpenOffice Writer - Nuance

nuance.com/products/help/dragon/dragon-for-pc/enx/...

Working in OpenOffice Writer. For a list of commands you can use in OpenOffice Writer, say "What Can I Say?" at any time. You cannot dictate in tables or form fields.

•  

DPG15.5 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, Dell Inspiron 7591 2-in-1, 64GB RAM, Intel Corei7-10510U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 2304 Mhz, 4 Cores...

03/27/2020 08:34 AM

Author Icon
    lifeisgood
    Top-Tier Member

Create your presentation in MS Word and then insert document in Powerpoint.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/create-a-powerpoint-presentation-from-an-outline-f6294909-04e9-4020-b9a8-4587b112692c

Hope this helps.

Statistics
    31556 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
    There are currently 2 users logged in.
    The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
    There are currently 317 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 319 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.