KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: After Windows update macros don't work
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/21/2019 07:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 After Windows update macros don't work   - MikeyMike1828 - 06/21/2019 07:04 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/21/2019 08:28 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - MikeyMike1828 - 06/21/2019 10:41 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/22/2019 06:50 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - MikeyMike1828 - 06/22/2019 07:36 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - R. Wilke - 06/22/2019 04:25 AM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - MikeyMike1828 - 06/22/2019 07:35 AM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - R. Wilke - 06/22/2019 05:11 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - MikeyMike1828 - 06/22/2019 05:44 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - R. Wilke - 06/22/2019 06:11 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - R. Wilke - 06/22/2019 09:45 AM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - MikeyMike1828 - 06/22/2019 10:22 AM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - R. Wilke - 06/22/2019 11:16 AM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - PG LTU - 06/22/2019 01:46 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - MikeyMike1828 - 06/22/2019 04:09 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/22/2019 05:38 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - MikeyMike1828 - 06/22/2019 06:24 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/22/2019 07:14 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - MikeyMike1828 - 06/22/2019 07:42 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - dilligence - 06/23/2019 10:05 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/23/2019 11:23 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - dilligence - 06/24/2019 07:52 AM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - MikeyMike1828 - 06/22/2019 06:19 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - R. Wilke - 06/22/2019 06:24 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - MikeyMike1828 - 06/22/2019 06:26 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - R. Wilke - 06/22/2019 06:47 PM  
 After Windows update macros don't work   - MikeyMike1828 - 06/22/2019 07:26 PM  
Keyword
 06/21/2019 08:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We can't think of any reason why a Windows upgrade would have any effect on your Dragon user profile but begin by saying open command browser to verify your personal commands exist. Also verify that you are using the correct user profile. You may have accidentally opened the wrong profile. If your commands are still MIA and it isn't too late, try switching to your backup user profile (which is overwritten every 5 saves). If you are unfamiliar with this process, look up “switching” (as in switching to your backup user profile) in the Quick TipsIf your commands are still available but refuse to deploy, you might consider exporting your current vocabulary and commands, creating a new user profile and importing your exported vocabulary & commands. If your commands are still unavailable, hopefully you have an additional manual backup of your user profile that has been saved to a backup drive or the cloud. Not making occasional manual user file backups is equivalent to playing Russian roulette with the Big Haired Lady; otherwise known as our wife who uses her 357 Magnum to shoot rats inside our trailer

Last resort: You could also try reinstalling Dragon (performing a repair) but this seems unlikely and should be considered as a last resort. 

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

06/21/2019 10:41 PM

MikeyMike1828
Power Member

All of my commands are in the command browser. I tried the backup switch but that did not work I also tried to create a new profile and import the commands into the new profile and it still does not work. Done messing with it tonight if It don't magically start working tomorrow probably going to have to Repair it. To repair do you have to uninstall it through Control Panel?

I accidentally deleted the wrong profile. Is there any way to recover an accidentally deleted profile?

06/22/2019 06:50 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

When you move your user profile, Dragon doesn't know where it is until it has been properly mapped. Go back to Open User in your Dragon menu, click the Browse button and show Dragon where you moved your profile. Dragon will remember it from now on.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

06/22/2019 07:36 PM

MikeyMike1828
Power Member

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt When you move your user profile, Dragon doesn't know where it is until it has been properly mapped. Go back to Open User in your Dragon menu, click the Browse button and show Dragon where you moved your profile. Dragon will remember it from now on.

I have tried all of these suggestions and none of them work. I'm just going to have to redo all my commands the way I know how. KnowBrainer's VerbalBasic does seem to be able to create commands quicker but I just don't know create commands with them. Thanks for trying to help me fix my problem

06/22/2019 04:25 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Before reinstalling, deleting and creating new profiles, or taking other drastic actions, please clarify what "still does not work" means exactly, if the commands show up in the Command Browser.

What kind of commands are you talking about specifically? KnowBrainer commands?

As far as the accidentally deleted profile, Dragon won't help, but the Windows Recycle Bin might.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture (30 Day Trial)
DragonCapture Manual

06/22/2019 07:35 AM

MikeyMike1828
Power Member

The macro commands that I'm talking about are the ones I created. After I installed a Windows update the macros stopped working. I tried to create a new Dragon profile and import the commands from MyCmds Onto the new profile. To see if that would get the macros to work. But that did not work. So when I went to delete the new profile I accidentally deleted my main profile. I did follow the path to where Dragon users are and the main profile is still there but it doesn't show up when I go to load it it only shows the new profile I created. I checked the recycle bin and the new one is not there. But while I was in the recycle bin I did find a old MyCmds so I tried to import those commands to see if the macros would work but they still don't work. I'm not sure what happened during the update I know it was to the realtec audio file
 06/22/2019 05:11 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

I did follow the path to where Dragon users are and the main profile is still there but it doesn't show up when I go to load it it only shows the new profile I created.

Check whether both paths, for the main profile and for the new profile, are the same, in theory, they should be different, given your description. Somehow the path where the new profile has been created and stored may have become mixed up. In the "Open User Profile" dialogue, you can use the "Browse" button to search in a different path.

In addition, if you are really sure that it was the Windows update that did it, bear in mind that you can always undo a Windows feature update within 10 days.

DragonCapture Manual

06/22/2019 05:44 PM

MikeyMike1828
Power Member

I tried opening the main profile by clicking browse and I got this error message

The directory you have chosen is reserved by the operating system. Please choose another Directory

06/22/2019 06:11 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: MikeyMike1828 I tried opening the main profile by clicking browse and I got this error message

The directory you have chosen is reserved by the operating system. Please choose another Directory

Then this is most likely not the default path. Try moving it to the default path. In Windows 64 bit, this would be:

C:\ProgramData\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\Users

By default, the path is hidden in Windows Explorer. In the "Open User Dialog", make sure also to browse the default user profile path.

DragonCapture Manual

06/22/2019 09:45 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Before going into further details, what exactly do you mean by "the commands don't work"? Are they recognised, but not executed, or are they not recognised at all?

DragonCapture Manual

06/22/2019 10:22 AM

MikeyMike1828
Power Member

The commands are recognized but they are not executed. When I check the commands in Command Browser they are still there and have the steps that I made.
 06/22/2019 11:16 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

So they are step-by-step commands obviously, then.

I am not really familiar with this type of commands, or not familiar with it at all, and it is rather unlikely that it is anything to do with the Windows update, or your profile, but have you tested creating a new profile, and creating a new command of this type, or creating a new command of this type in the existing profile? Before starting to do anything else, as the problem might actually be with the Dragon installation then, and whatever is involved to interpret such commands.

DragonCapture Manual

06/22/2019 01:46 PM

Author Icon
PG LTU
Top-Tier Member

You really should say specifically an example of a macro (command) and what it is supposed to do and how you programmed that macro to do it. Does it (or did it) rely on any references to libraries such as the Forms library or an Office application? Do you have to declare any windows API functions (e.g., to get an active window title or press and hold keys or mouse)? All these things can be solved.

I suspect it is none of these and there is something else going on (which actually a Repair (as administrator) may fix) within registry entries or the like for your installation, but as mentioned, the above other issues change the discussion entirely.

PG

Remember folks, my comments and this forum are for entertainment value only, please, no wagering or other reliance on the contents herein.  I permit no commercial use of my ideas (whether expressions or embodiments) without my written consent.

06/22/2019 04:09 PM

MikeyMike1828
Power Member

I just use the macro recorder to create the macros. I use them to play a game. I would have a macro that would click my inventory. So I would say my inventory and it would click on it. This is how I would create it. I would Say Create Command, Say stop recording then position the mouse on my inventory and say start recording Then I would say Mouse left click then stop recording. I did that on pretty much all of the macros that I've created. sometimes it has one mouse click sometimes it would have several Made up of several commands that I made like that. I have tried creating a new macro and it works and  I also opened command browser opened A command and edited The recording of the macro command. Then tried it and it worked With the old name. All of my commands worked perfectly before I did the Windows update. Now none of them work after the update.

2019-06-22 (3).png
2019-06-22 (3).png  (141 KB)
2019-06-22 (4).png
2019-06-22 (4).png  (137 KB)

06/22/2019 05:38 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Ouch, we never recommend using the Dragon Recorder Macro utility. Step-by-step is one thing but Macro Recorder is a almost begging for trouble. Recorder macros are rather top-heavy and somewhat unreliable. Attempting to import Recorder Macros might also be an issue but we have never tried it. You could create these commands as step-by-step macros (which is acceptable) but it would be notably quicker to create an Advanced-Scripting command by capturing the mouse coordinates. Of course we write our commands via KnowBrainer's VerbalBasic (in KnowBrainer and Dragon) but to give you some idea how easy it can be, let's use Photoshop for our example. Dragon really hates Photoshop and doesn't have the ability to click on any controls, menus or buttons. Let's say that we want to create a command that will deploy minimally 10 times faster than your Recorder command, to click the Crop button. All we have to do is hover the mouse over Photoshop's Crop button and say New Mouse Command <crop> which will record the mouse X & Y coordinates, create a new application-specific Photoshop command, name your new command Crop (even capitalizes the name), paste the contents of the clipboard into the scripting box, adds a mouse Left Click and saves the command. This process takes about 2 seconds; no kidding. We refer to this as Automatic VerbalBasic but some people prefer the Trump effect. In other words you can write the entire command faster then you can deploy any Macro Recorder command.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

06/22/2019 06:24 PM

MikeyMike1828
Power Member

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt Ouch, we never recommend using the Dragon Recorder Macro utility. Step-by-step is one thing but Macro Recorder is a almost begging for trouble. Recorder macros are rather top-heavy and somewhat unreliable. Attempting to import Recorder Macros might also be an issue but we have never tried it. You could create these commands as step-by-step macros (which is acceptable) but it would be notably quicker to create an Advanced-Scripting command by capturing the mouse coordinates. Of course we write our commands via KnowBrainer's VerbalBasic (in KnowBrainer and Dragon) but to give you some idea how easy it can be, let's use Photoshop for our example. Dragon really hates Photoshop and doesn't have the ability to click on any controls, menus or buttons. Let's say that we want to create a command that will deploy minimally 10 times faster than your Recorder command, to click the Crop button. All we have to do is hover the mouse over Photoshop's Crop button and say New Mouse Command which will record the mouse X & Y coordinates, create a new application-specific Photoshop command, name your new command Crop (even capitalizes the name), paste the contents of the clipboard into the scripting box, adds a mouse Left Click and saves the command. This process takes about 2 seconds; no kidding. We refer to this as Automatic VerbalBasic but some people prefer the Trump effect. In other words you can write the entire command faster then you can deploy any Macro Recorder command.

That would be easy for just one mouse click but how would I do multiple clicks on different areas in the same command?

06/22/2019 07:14 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

If you would like to do this manually, KnowBrainer includes a handy command which captures the X & Y mouse coordinates (wherever you hovering your mouse). We trigger this command by saying Find Mouse Position. When you paste the script, you will see the following but note that we pasted 2 scripts to show you how they stack. These types of commands will deploy significantly faster than Recorder macros:

Sub Main

SetMousePosition 1,840,684 'example position

Wait 0.5

ButtonClick 1.1

SetMousePosition 1,249,463 'example position

Wait 0.5

ButtonClick 1.1

End Sub

We have a personal version of this command that clicks on 6 different positions but note that the more complex your command is, the less likely it is to work as a Dragon Advanced-Scripting command. Having said that, Dragon DVC scripts are far more bulletproof but try Advanced-Scripting 1st. If you would like to kick it up a notch, we offer Premium Support

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

06/22/2019 07:42 PM

MikeyMike1828
Power Member

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt If you would like to do this manually, KnowBrainer includes a handy command which captures the X & Y mouse coordinates (wherever you hovering your mouse). We trigger this command by saying Find Mouse Position. When you paste the script, you will see the following but note that we pasted 2 scripts to show you how they stack. These types of commands will deploy significantly faster than Recorder macros:

Sub Main

SetMousePosition 1,840,684 'example position

Wait 0.5

ButtonClick 1.1

SetMousePosition 1,249,463 'example position

Wait 0.5

ButtonClick 1.1

End Sub

We have a personal version of this command that clicks on 6 different positions but note that the more complex your command is, the less likely it is to work as a Dragon Advanced-Scripting command. Having said that, Dragon DVC scripts are far more bulletproof but try Advanced-Scripting 1st. If you would like to kick it up a notch, we offer Premium Support

Thank you I will try using this

06/23/2019 10:05 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

MikeyMike,

This problem has nothing to do with corrupted user profiles or step-by-step commands but everything with the Windows update or other subtle changes on your computer.

Macro recorder macros can be very reliable and fast, but sometimes they stop working due to subtle changes in the system. When that happens there's usually really nothing left to do but recording them again. Once done they usually last a lot longer is my experience.

A more reliable solution would be the program Perfect Automation

Any macro you create with that will always work and will keep on working regardless of Windows updates.

www.speechproductivity.eu 

The Ultimate Dictation Box for Dragon - SP Ergonomic Text Editor - Hotkeys for Dragon - Better Text to Speech - Easy Guide to Dragon Scripting

06/23/2019 11:23 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We've never seen a fast Macro Recorder command because they are recorded in real time. Most Dragon professionals would never recommend using Dragon's Macro Recorder utility in any circumstance. Step-by-step should be considerably faster and use considerably less space.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

06/24/2019 07:52 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt We've never seen a fast Macro Recorder command because they are recorded in real time. Most Dragon professionals would never recommend using Dragon's Macro Recorder utility in any circumstance. Step-by-step should be considerably faster and use considerably less space.

I'm not sure at which point one qualifies as a "Dragon professional". Having used Dragon intensively for over 18 years in more than a thousand applications on at least 12 different computers will probably not make me come close. 

Just kidding ;-). Of course I would not dream of including any Dragon macro recorder commands in my SP packages, but that does not mean that sometimes they can be just what you need. 

Mouse position commands don't work in all applications (sometimes don't seem to be able to find/activate the target window handle). Eviacam (free headtracker) is a good example but mouse position commands don't work reliably in some music/video applications either: Steinberg Cubase, Extreme Sample Converter, ACS (automated composer system), Akoff composer, Serif MoviePlus X6. There's more applications that I don't remember right now.

In most cases mousegrid commands are the alternative but sometimes they fail as well. Then you can try the built in Dragon macro recorder and make the command global. I find, although a bit unstable, it's definitely better than nothing. As said before, when it comes to recording mouse actions is better to use Perfect Automation or the script recorder featured in older versions of AutoHotkey (allows relatively easy editing of the script afterwards).

Speed does not seem to be an issue if you use only 1 or 2 steps (4 or more steps is unreliable). I've been using a "Center" command for years and years now. It clicks the center of my desktop (mostly to activate the VC intags when the focus is on the taskbar). I've tried this with a global mouse position command but that was either slow or failed. You can also do it using the MouseGrid command "mouse five five click" which is also kind of slow. Recording a one-step macro recorder command turned out to be the fastest, most reliable solution on my system and response is almost instantly.

Although mouse position commands are generally advised they do take a bit more work. If you're in a lazy mood and you're only going to need a command temporarily it can be tempting to simply say "start recording", perform your steps and then say "stop recording".

I hardly use mouse position commands anymore since mostly anything can be done with SendKeys (or VoiceComputer). However occasionally I use Lindsay's (cool!) advanced scripting Record Mouse Position command. The Paste Mouse Position part however, I have converted so the output can be pasted into a DVC script:

SendKeys "{Ctrl+v}"

SendKeys "{Enter}"

SendKeys "Wait 10"

SendKeys "{Enter}"

SendKeys "ButtonClick 1,1"

www.speechproductivity.eu 

The Ultimate Dictation Box for Dragon - SP Ergonomic Text Editor - Hotkeys for Dragon - Better Text to Speech - Easy Guide to Dragon Scripting

06/22/2019 06:19 PM

MikeyMike1828
Power Member

That is the path that I try using. Just really frustrated with this whole thing
 06/22/2019 06:24 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: MikeyMike1828 That is the path that I try using. Just really frustrated with this whole thing

Understood. Welcome to the world of user profile jazz. Then try moving the user profile to a less problematic location, such as the desktop, and try opening it from there. Also, bear in mind that, when browsing to the user to open it, don't open the folder, just point to it.

DragonCapture Manual

06/22/2019 06:26 PM

MikeyMike1828
Power Member

Originally posted by: R. Wilke
Originally posted by: MikeyMike1828 That is the path that I try using. Just really frustrated with this whole thing

Understood. Welcome to the world of user profile jazz. Then try moving the user profile to a less problematic location, such as the desktop, and try opening it from there.

I have also tried that but after I click ok the profile does not show up

06/22/2019 06:47 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: MikeyMike1828

Understood. Welcome to the world of user profile jazz. Then try moving the user profile to a less problematic location, such as the desktop, and try opening it from there.

Then the profile is broken. As a final attempt, try copying MyCmds.dat from your main profile (assuming that this is where your custom commands are) over MyCmds.dat in a new profile.

I'll be off to sleep now. Good luck.

DragonCapture Manual

06/22/2019 07:26 PM

MikeyMike1828
Power Member

Originally posted by: MikeyMike1828

Then the profile is broken. As a final attempt, try copying MyCmds.dat from your main profile (assuming that this is where your custom commands are) over MyCmds.dat in a new profile.

I'll be off to sleep now. Good luck.

I have already done that but my commands still don't work. I am done trying to get my old commands to work I'm just going to have to redo them all. Thanks for all your help

Statistics
31594 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 303 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 303 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.