Keyword
 10/10/2007 12:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Question From ScanSoft Forum
Quote:
Some time ago I purchased Dragon Naturally Speaking standard 7.3, but at the time didn't install it. I have now tried but am having problems.Q1) I go to the "free online support" tag & the 1st thing it demands is my credit card details. Is there anyway of getting them to help me without being charged? The install appears to go OK to the end, but on finishing a blank screen remains with the mouse busy icon (ie hourglass). After many minutes I close & it tells me the program is not responding. On closure the error message is:-"Naturally Speaking 7.30.000.091Setup failed to run installationThe remote procedure call failed."When I attempt to do the volume adjustment & choose the default sound system "C-Media Wave Device", then start the volume check it tells me the sound level is too low. If I choose one of the modems that are the other sound systems listed it tells me it is not responding. I can hear plenty in the headphone, so the sound output is definitely working.  I am running XP/home on an AMD Athlon XP1700+ (about 1.5GHz) with 512MB RAM, & plenty of spare HDD.

As far as NaturallySpeaking Standard 7 installing is concerned, it is installed.  If it wasn't installed, you wouldn't be able to run the Audio Setup Wizard.

Nearly all integrated soundcards produce substandard results and the $4 microphone that was included with your Standard 7 software is completely unacceptable.  Under the right circumstances it will pass the Audio Setup Wizard but neither your soundcard or microphone are what we would refer to as “acceptable” for speech recognition.  One of the least expensive high-quality options would be to purchase a KnowBrainer Hands-free microphone and bypass your existing soundcard with a USB Pod external soundcard.

DNS Standard is basically nothing more than a speech recognition appetizer and Ver. 7 is 2 full versions out of date.  Our second recommendation would be to upgrade to Preferred 9.5 which, oddly enough, is the same price as upgrading to Standard 9 but you may as well have the additional perks and amenities that DNS Preferred has to offer.  However, if you do decide to upgrade to Preferred 9.5, you will need to minimally double your RAM.

As far as getting charged for technical support is concerned, the forums may be a little slower to respond but they're always free and are usually better.

-------------------------

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

Statistics
28440 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 79 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 82 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.