maths using Dragon   - Stephan Kuepper - 06/30/2020 02:58 AM  
 maths using Dragon   - j_mundel - 07/09/2020 11:28 AM  
 maths using Dragon   - lifeisgood - 09/28/2020 12:37 PM  
Keyword
 03/19/2016 10:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
paranon

Hi, I'm planning to start an economics degree later this year which I expect is going to involve a fair amount of complex mathematics and statistics work. I use my computer mostly hands-free using Dragon and my wheelchair joystick as an imprecise Bluetooth mouse.

I'm looking to work out a way of accurately and efficiently dictating mathematics work entirely using a computer. As far as I can tell there are two options for doing this, the first being MathTalk, which looks like it's just a set of custom inputs for scientific notebook. From looking at the demos this looks like it could work but also seems to be slower than I would have hoped for.

The alternative would be to create a custom vocabulary or a set of custom commands for dictating into something like openoffice math or scientific notebook from scratch. Before I make an attempt at this I thought I'd ask to see if anybody has any experience doing this using Dragon that they can share, or any tips on what the best way would be?

-------------------------

- Mike Roberts

DNS 15 + Natlink + Caster

mathfly.org - Math/LaTeX dictation

03/19/2016 11:26 AM

mdl
Top-Tier Member

I'd go with custom commands and latex
(Latex is what scientists that need real math use)
 03/19/2016 04:15 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We can't help you with the math questions but you will find a complimentary copy of KnowBrainer Professional in your email. The KnowBrainer command utility is freely available to anyone with a disability.

The best option would be to find prefab math commands but if you have to create your own, there's no easier way to do it then verbally creating your commands within the KnowBrainer Command Browser (sidebar) or the Dragon Command Browser, in professional versions of Dragon. KnowBrainer global VerbalBasic (verbal toolbox) will allow you to create VB commands in professional versions of Dragon, KnowBrainer and programs that support VB scripting such as Microsoft Word and Excel. We even use VerbalBasic to virtually create commands on our customers computers.

PS: If you have to create commands, we additionally recommend creating them in KnowBrainer rather than Dragon because KnowBrainer command deployment is 4 times faster.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

03/20/2016 01:45 PM

Author Icon
paranon

Okay I'm creating a custom vocabulary from scratch to input mathematical symbols into libreoffice math but I'm having a problem importing a list of new "words" from a plain text document. The Vocabulary Editor seems to be ignoring the backslashes that are supposed to separate spoken and written forms and just scanning for anything it doesn't recognise and leaving the spoken form the same. I'm using DPI 14 and have tried both single and double backslashes.

I think the attached picture demonstrates the problem – for example I'd like the written form of "function" to be "f(" but instead function gets imported as a normal word.

Any thoughts?

- Mike Roberts

DNS 15 + Natlink + Caster

mathfly.org - Math/LaTeX dictation

03/20/2016 06:37 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

As Lifeisgood noted, you need to appropriately title your NotePad document or it will be treated as a standard file looking for individual words as opposed to being treated like an imported vocabulary. You can see what Lifeisgood was referring to by clicking the Export custom word and phrase list menu under your DragonBar Vocabulary menu. You can optionally export your current vocabulary, delete the entire vocabulary except for the 1st line and then import your specialized vocabulary. Another option would be to open the Vocabulary Editor and enter your mathematical symbols the traditional way. Note that if you need to combine standard dictation with specialized mathematical symbols, you may need to change your naming convention to something like Written Form/Spoken Form: f( / code function.

Depending on how you need to use your specialized vocabulary, it may be advantageous to turn your vocabulary into a command list, rather than vocabulary. For example, VerbalBasic is primarily a Visual Basic vocabulary. Because we used a command approach, it has the advantage of literally being bulletproof (never makes a mistake) but has the disadvantage of requiring a pause before and after dictating Visual Basic terminology. This approach may or may not be an advantage for you. For example, if we say Code Send Keys Control Alternate Shift Tab 3, KnowBrainer moves the cursor to the end of line, creates a new line (neither of which you probably need) and types
SendKeys "^%{Tab 3}".

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

03/20/2016 02:07 PM

Author Icon
lifeisgood
Top-Tier Member

I do not know if I understand but when I create a NotePad custom list the first line needs:
@Version=Plato-UTF8

I am using DNS13 Professional. It was the same with DNS12 Professional.
If the line is not included in the document then nothing happens.

I would also suggest that you pick the name carefully.
I would say that when you say 'function' it will give you the word 'function' and not f( which is what I think you want.
You will have to play a little to make sure you get what you want.

Hope I made sense.

====
For example the NotePad document has to have this formatting:
@Version=Plato-UTF8
±\\Symbol Plusminus
²\\Symbol Superscript two
³\\Symbol Superscript three
¹\\Symbol Superscript one
×\\Symbol Multiplication
 03/21/2016 10:00 PM

mdl
Top-Tier Member

undergrad degree?
For research papers, you appear to have a choice of latex or scientific word, with latex appearing to be more common.
Note that entering symbols is the easy part of typesetting math to look good.
 03/23/2016 06:04 PM

Author Icon
Deadhead065

Okay I am kind of in the same boat. I was a finance and economics major and now work full-time as an actuary and have to use Dragon 100% of the time.

The built-in codes for Dragon work very well in Microsoft Excel to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.

For instance say this:

multiply 3.68 by 7

subtract 5 from 10

and for all other advanced mathematical or statistical functions use your own scripts to pull up the functions.

Example-

Sub Main

SendDragonKeys "=EXP("

End Sub

06/29/2020 10:44 PM

Author Icon
bonelessevil

Is it possible to use Excel to write out mathematical equations, much the same way one would do with Latex?

I was trying to use Dragon NS 15 Pro with Mathematica, a professional level mathematics software. My problem was that putting in custom commands (I didn't have Knowbrainer 17 commands installed, but do now) not only was slow, as I had to wait for each command to execute before issuing a new one; but, it had the added disadvantage of sometimes doubling numbers: I might get "66" instead of "6", which you can imagine would be terrible for math problems.

So I wrote scripts within NS 15 that would execute Mathematica commands (, for fractions ), which worked alright. Unfortunately, with all the mistakes that were happening, I gave up on math until I could find a solution. Any ideas?
 06/29/2020 11:23 PM

Author Icon
Grandslam

It's probably unlikely, but I feel this is the sort of functionality which would be ideal to include in DPI16. For basic maths at least, surely it would be relatively simple for the Nuance developers to create commands which would allow us, for example, to say "Calculate 3.14 times 27", and Dragon would output the answer into the target application.

06/30/2020 02:58 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: paranon  [...] MathTalk, which looks like it's just a set of custom inputs for scientific notebook. From looking at the demos this looks like it could work but also seems to be slower than I would have hoped for.

The alternative would be to create a custom vocabulary or a set of custom commands for dictating into something like openoffice math or scientific notebook from scratch. [...]

MathTalk IS a set of custom commands so the question is, why reinvent the wheel? Or, if you reinvent it, why don't you do it together with the good people at MathTalk, whom I've found very cooperative in the past?

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

07/09/2020 11:28 AM

Author Icon
j_mundel

I purchased a version of MathTalk and it was not usable (I was taking courses in linear algebra and calculus) and expensive.  It may be suitable for high school math but that's about it. The only good thing that came from it was that it included the scientific notebook software which I have found useful. Try this https://mathfly.org/. It's an open source project that I've used with great success. Knowbrainer may be useful but the math commands already exist with the above link. Good luck!

09/28/2020 12:37 PM

Author Icon
lifeisgood
Top-Tier Member

Interesting, but do you have to have natlink or python also? or can you simply use Mathfly? I am confused, what is new?

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » NaturallySpeaking Speech Recognition » maths using Dragon

Statistics
31793 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 652 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 654 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.