Gmail support vanished in Firefox   - DavidW - 07/05/2013 10:52 AM  
 Gmail support vanished in Firefox   - world-in-union - 07/05/2013 03:27 PM  
 Gmail support vanished in Firefox   - Lunis Orcutt - 07/05/2013 08:38 PM  
Keyword
 06/28/2013 06:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ClassicalVoice

In the last couple of days, Gmail support (which if I venture to guess stems from the rich text application support plug-in) vanished from Firefox. what do I need to do to restore this?

So far, I've disabled the plug-in from both the "extensions" and "plug-ins" add-ons areas, shut down the browser, restarted, reactivated them, and restarted again. This was unsuccessful. I have also checked both Internet Explorer and Google Chrome and the plug-ins for those respective browsers seem to be functional. It is worth mentioning that Gmail support, though active, has been floundering in Chrome lately as well, with full dictation abilities in new messages and chat windows only functioning about 50% of the time.

I'd love to get to the bottom of this, because Gmail works best in Firefox with Dragon when it is working. I also much prefer that browser for unrelated reasons having to do with color correction and flexibility.

Thanks for your help!

06/29/2013 02:57 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We can verify the the Gmail rich text plug-in doesn't seem to get along well with Google Chrome and we have disabled it.  If you rely heavily on speech recognition, it is going to take noticeably longer to do the job in Firefox than Internet Explorer (if you're working hands-free) so Internet Explorer would be our 1st recommendation. Having said that, from a mouse functionality point of view, we also prefer Firefox.

As far as reactivating the Gmail rich text plug-in for Firefox is concerned... You have probably already pressed {Ctrl+Shift+a}, clicked on Extensions and clicked the Enable button for the Dragon NaturallySpeaking Rich Internet Application Support. You might try rebooting but that's that's about all you can do. Nuance is trying to attempt an end run to enable limited rich text control in Gmail and Yahoo but it's difficult to make this implementation work; primarily because Firefox refuses to make their application SAPI compliant and that's where the real blame it is. Until Firefox is willing to acknowledge the existence speech recognition, you will continue to have problems and that's why we use Internet Explorer.

-------------------------
Lunis Orcutt (615) 884-4558 x2
Live Chat
KnowBrainer Videos
What Is KnowBrainer Professional 2017 (PDF)
KnowBrainer 2017 (30 Day Trial)
SpeechStart+ (15 Day Trial)
 06/29/2013 06:37 PM

Author Icon
ClassicalVoice

As a former web designer, I know a thing or two about the frustrations of browser compliance. Unfortunately for me, Internet Explorer is generally the browser that is not compliant in a whole bunch of other ways. It seems that browsers are built almost exclusively with the largest markets in mind.

I have indeed made sure that the rich text plug-in is enabled in Firefox, but the thing it baffles me is why the Gmail support would be there one day and then suddenly not be there at all the next. I can't say whether or not the application is working outside of Gmail, because the effects there are more subtle and less frequently used. It's possible that the entire thing is broken in Firefox, or it could just be the Gmail part. edit: I tried to send this message with the voice, and when clicking "reply", I was offered two choices and chose the second. Despite that, the first choice was in fact clicked. This suggests to me that the plug-in is not working in general.

Going back to Dragon, I am increasingly realizing that this is not a program that is designed for people with disabilities so much as for the convenience of dictation in office use. I know this is not necessarily the domain of this forum, but can anyone recommend a program to facilitate hands-free use in browsers and on the computer in general?
 06/29/2013 10:08 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: ClassicalVoice Going back to Dragon, I am increasingly realizing that this is not a program that is designed for people with disabilities so much as for the convenience of dictation in office use. I know this is not necessarily the domain of this forum, but can anyone recommend a program to facilitate hands-free use in browsers and on the computer in general?

NaturallySpeaking is primarily designed for traditional office work. That's why applications such as KnowBrainer 2012 (hyperlinked in our signature tag) and SpeechStart+ were created.

Live Chat
KnowBrainer Videos

06/30/2013 09:11 AM

Author Icon
DavidW
Top-Tier Member

The issue may be to do with the release of Firefox 22 around a week ago. if others can confirm the issue, it's a compatibility issue introduced by changes in that version.

David Wood

Hardware: Olympus DS-7000 (for dictation) - Olympus AS-7000 (for manual transcription) - Olympus DM-670 with ME-30W microphones (for seminars and events)

Software: DPI 15 - Olympus ODMS 6.2 (Dictation and Transcription Modules)

07/01/2013 07:41 PM

Author Icon
ClassicalVoice

This would make a lot of sense. If this is indeed the case, roughly how long should I expect to wait for an update to the plug-in?
 07/02/2013 03:01 PM

Author Icon
DavidW
Top-Tier Member

As Alan has indicated, it will likely be another year before we see any further advance on Dragon 12.5, and then it will be a chargeable upgrade.

Unfortunately, Nuance do not seem to have thought through the consequences of providing add-ins for Firefox and Chrome, both of which are on an approximately six week 'rapid release' development cycle which can introduce compatibility issues with every release.

You can hold on an older version of Firefox for some time by switching to the Extended Support Release version (aimed at enterprise users). The security risks in using an outdated browser means it is essential to use a browser with the latest security patches, be this a mainstream or ESR release.

Realistically, few mainstream users will be on an ESR release, meaning Nuance need to be tracking Firefox Aurora and Beta to develop and release plug-in patches ahead of a disabling mainstream release. The alternative is to give up with the Firefox and Chrome plug-ins as some vendors have done (I had a rather useful commercial text to speech application - the vendor chose to drop the Firefox plug-in rather than keep up with rapid release changes).

You could try Firefox ESR to see if that fixes the problem. This version is up to date with security patches, but lacks all the improvements from versions 18-22 inclusive meaning it is some way behind the times.

David Wood

Hardware: Olympus DS-7000 (for dictation) - Olympus AS-7000 (for manual transcription) - Olympus DM-670 with ME-30W microphones (for seminars and events)

07/01/2013 10:59 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Nuance usually updates NaturallySpeaking once between versions: the pattern is that they release a new version every two years in August. Several months later, they issue a patch or a full update. Version 12.0 came out in August 2012, and Version 12.5 became available in February or March this year.

I predict that the next version of DNS will be released in August 2014.

In the meantime, install a slightly older version of Firefox until either Mozilla fixes Firefox, or Nuance fixes DNS.
 07/04/2013 12:16 AM

Author Icon
ClassicalVoice

This is what I was afraid I was going to hear. I'm a disabled guy living well outside the business world, and I have gotten used to the programs I use consistently releasing patches as needed to correct problems as they arise, as opposed to releasing one patch per release. Is Nuance just a small company that cannot afford to do more than that?
 07/05/2013 10:33 AM

Author Icon
DavidW
Top-Tier Member

Nuance's (lack of) response to problems with the Firefox and Chrome plug-ins is likely a matter of their release engineering and marketing policies. The release cycle for Dragon NaturallySpeaking is built around a two year cycle, with one interim patch that is primarily bug fixes. The Medical edition usually is released around half-way through this two year cycle, based on core code that is, by then, mature.

These release engineering policies do not leave space for agile response to compatibility issues. To date, the compatibility of a particular Dragon release with third-party software has been fixed at release, with some enhancements coming in the free mid-cycle patch, but the majority of enhancements held for a new Dragon edition, where they are used as an inducement for people to part with money for an upgrade.

I suspect that Nuance will have to reconsider these policies in the light of browser manufacturers moving to rapid releases and other software moving to a subscription basis with more regular, smaller, updates.

An obvious interim strategy would be for Nuance to treat the browser plug-ins as separate sub-products with their own rapid release cycle. Either Nuance has to be prepared to keep up with the browser vendors, or they should abandon these plug-ins due to their inability to support them.

David Wood

07/04/2013 08:29 AM

Author Icon
world-in-union

I think it's not so much up to Nuance to fix this, but to Mozilla. After all, it worked wonderfully in FF 21 and before, then Mozilla did something to the FF code, and suddenly it stopped working. So Mozilla should trace back what causes this unwelcome behaviour and remedy it. Does anyone know how and where this bug could be communicated to Mozilla in the most effective way?
 07/05/2013 10:52 AM

Author Icon
DavidW
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: world-in-union I think it's not so much up to Nuance to fix this, but to Mozilla. After all, it worked wonderfully in FF 21 and before, then Mozilla did something to the FF code, and suddenly it stopped working. So Mozilla should trace back what causes this unwelcome behaviour and remedy it. Does anyone know how and where this bug could be communicated to Mozilla in the most effective way?

What you describe is not the way the software industry works. It is for the customer of an Application Programming Interface to deal with developments in that interface, not for the provider of the interface to fix problems with its third-party customers.

Further, it is outside Mozilla's ability to do anything about Nuance's code, as the Dragon plug-in is closed source and proprietary. To that end, reporting this problem in Mozilla Bugzilla is pointless.

Mozilla provides early and open access to forthcoming changes via the Aurora and Beta versions. In addition, they provide fairly extensive developer documentation on most changes affecting plug-ins and extensions. There really isn't much more that Mozilla can do - it's up to Nuance to track changes in the Firefox code base and update the Dragon plug-in before changes creating compatibility issues become part of a release version of Firefox.

David Wood

07/05/2013 03:27 PM

Author Icon
world-in-union

Thanks for your comprehensive explanation, David.

In that case, I wonder if the issue has already been reported to Nuance, and if not, what would be the best way to do so?
 07/05/2013 08:38 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You could use the Nuance Suggestion Box but they are already aware of this issue.

Live Chat
KnowBrainer Videos

Statistics
31243 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 376 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 376 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.