KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Does NaturallySpeaking work in Windows 8?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/11/2012 04:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Does NaturallySpeaking work in Windows 8?   - ivan.mogi - 11/11/2012 10:25 PM  
 Does NaturallySpeaking work in Windows 8?   - Chucker - 11/12/2012 09:50 AM  
 Does NaturallySpeaking work in Windows 8?   - Lunis Orcutt - 11/12/2012 05:49 PM  
 Does NaturallySpeaking work in Windows 8?   - Chucker - 11/13/2012 09:10 AM  
 Does NaturallySpeaking work in Windows 8?   - Everitt - 11/16/2012 06:38 AM  
 Does NaturallySpeaking work in Windows 8?   - monkey8 - 11/16/2012 07:27 AM  
Keyword
 11/11/2012 10:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ivan.mogi

Hi BigTech,

Yes Windows 8 is compatible with Dragon Naturally speaking 12 

Is Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 12 compatible with Windows 8?

a. Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 has been tested to meet all of the technical

requirements to be Windows® 8 Compatible. The distinction of

“Windows 8 Compatible” denotes devices and desktop apps have passed

Microsoft’s tests for compatibility and reliability with Windows 8. More

information regarding the requirements for becoming Windows 8

Compatible can be found on Microsoft’s Web site.

I got this information on this link: http://www.nuance.com/ucmprod/groups/corporate/@web-enus/documents/collateral/nc_026405.pdf

-------------------------
The Support Administrator
 11/12/2012 09:50 AM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

BigTech & Ivan,

First, be careful when you read the compatibility explanation from Nuance with regard to Windows 8. If you read it carefully, you will note that "compatibility" is defined as "... devices and desktop apps have passed Microsoft's tests for compatibility and reliability with Windows 8." What that means is that DNS 12 has passed those tests and previous versions of DNS have not. What it doesn't mean is that DNS 10.1 and 11.5 won't work with Windows 8. In fact, to a certain extent they do even though not without certain caveats. In other words, the only reason that Nuance posts the fact that previous versions are not "compatible" is simply because, regardless of how well or how poorly they function under Windows 8, they don't meet the technical specifications for "compatibility, as defined by Microsoft.

Second, that being said, DNS 11.5 will function reasonably well running under Windows 8. Where you will run into certain functionality issues is with regard to the fact that DNS 11.5 does not recognize or support IE 10 and there is no way to uninstall IE 10 and go back to either IE 9 or IE 8. I say that only because I have tried and each time I have tried, Windows 8 refuses to allow such. That doesn't mean you can't, it just currently means I have not found a way to do it. Someone else may at some point, but it currently appears as though that is not possible. If you look at the Command Browser, you will find that the running DNS 11.5 in Windows 8, there is no Natural Language Commands support for Internet Explorer. That is, there is no entry for Internet Explorer in the Command Browser. In addition, you may find that certain commands that were previously supported for IE 9, and you have to work from memory because there is no listing in the Command Browser, do not execute or function in IE 10. There are other functionality issues, most of which are relatively minor. In addition, there is no guarantee that DNS 11.5 will not exhibit some additional problems running under the Windows 8 final release. I have deliberately not tested this because my primary concern is testing DNS 12. Applications that ran properly under the Windows 8 Preview version may not install and/or run properly under Windows 8. A good example of these are Timeslips and Amicus Attorney. These applications will either not install or not run under the Windows 8 final release version because of the change in the version number by which these applications check before installing. Still, someone will have to test DNS 11.5 is far as installation and functionality Re: Windows 8 final release in order to be absolutely certain as to what works and what doesn't. Regardless, "compatibility" is a technical issue, not a functional one. Remember also that were talking about the final release of Windows 8 and not the Windows 8 Preview release, and there is a difference between the two even though for the most part Windows 8 is not essentially different from Windows 7. There are enough differences in the underlying code that may cause any version of DNS below version 12 to not function correctly under the release version of Windows 8. In addition, Nuance doesn't tell you, but DNS 12 does not recognize IE 10. In the Command Browser the entries for the Natural Language Commands for Internet Explorer are listed as Internet Explorer 9. Also, some of those IE 9 Natural Language Commands do not work in IE 10. So, Nuance claiming "compatibility" is, to a certain extent, a misrepresentation of the facts. For example, while you can access the menu bar in IE 10 normally by voice command, I have yet to find a method or a setting that will allow you to access any of the submenu options by voice. A good example is that if you open Internet Explorer 10 and say "tools" or "click tools" and then try to say "Reopen last browsing session" you will get "Please say that again" from DNS 12. Also, you cannot access any of your favorites by voice. You can only access those options/submenus using navigation commands and then saying "press enter" once you have located the selection that you want. In other words, "compatibility" doesn't necessarily equal full functionality. Nuance still has some work to do to bring DNS 12 up to full functionality with Windows 8 (final release).

Third, it appears that with the Windows 8 final release DNS 10.1 is not only technically "incompatible", it is also functionally problematic. That is, some of my clients who have attempted to upgrade to Windows 8 using DNS 10.1 have found that DNS 10.1 tends to crash frequently and is absolutely incompatible with IE 10. Therefore, the recommendation is that if you are intending to migrate to Windows 8 and you are using DNS 10.1, be prepared for numerous potential problems and lack of complete functionality. Again, I've not had an opportunity to test DNS 10.1, and I do have DNS 10.1 Medical, with Windows 8 Professional (final release). As a result, be prepared for experiencing significant problems if you upgrade to Windows 8 (final release) and you are still using DNS 10.1 (Standard, Preferred, Professional, Legal, or Medical). I strongly advise those who are still using DNS 10.1 to stick with either Windows XP or Windows 7.

PS, this post was dictated with DNS 12 Professional and VoiceComputer 12 under Windows 8 Professional final release.

Chuck

Almost doesn't count except in horseshoes and grenades.

11/12/2012 05:49 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

While we can't be certain about Windows 8 we suspect the same fixes should apply when you look up “Hookerr”  in the NaturallySpeaking Quick Tips which you'll find under the "Recommend Links" section of this forum. You will also find a pictorial step-by-step outlined in the SendKeys Cancelled Hookerr Workaround pdf file.

Click KB 2014 to take KnowBrainer 2014 on a 30 day test drive

Click SpeechStart+ to take SpeechStart+ on a 15 Day test drive

11/13/2012 09:10 AM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

BigTech, Lunis, et al.,

Forget about using DNS 10.1 in Windows 8. While Nuance has posted an explanation with regard to compatibility of earlier versions of DNS with Windows 8 indicating that DNS 11.5 and below are not compatible, this is basically a technical compatibility explanation. That is, what it means is that, basically, they will not support any version lower than DNS 12 under Windows 8. It doesn't absolutely mean that you cannot install and run DNS 10.1 and/or DNS 11.5 in Windows 8. It simply means that: (a) they won't support it if you have a problem, and you likely will under certain conditions, and (b) the problem is not technical compatibility, it's actual functionality. There are a number of caveats with using DNS versions earlier than DNS 12.

1. IE 10 is not supported in Windows 8 if you are intending to use DNS 10.1 and/or DNS 11.5. Also, I strongly advise that anyone using DMPE avoid upgrading to Windows 8.

2. You cannot uninstall IE 10 in order to install either IE 8 or IE 9. This is not permitted or supported under Windows 8. So, you're stuck with IE 10.

3. Adobe flash player in IE 10 is embedded. That is, you cannot disable it and you cannot uninstall it period. Windows 8 handles Adobe flash player completely differently than previous versions of Windows. If you want to understand how Adobe flash player is handled in Windows 8 and IE 10, go review the information at the following link:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html

4. My experience with DNS 10.1 is that with the final release of Windows 8, DNS 10.1 does not function reliably. It has a tendency to crash frequently and is absolutely incompatible with IE 10. If you're intending to use DNS 10.1, my recommendation is don't period. Stick with Windows 7 or Windows XP until you decide to upgrade to DNS 12.

5. DNS 11.5 is a little better in terms of functionality under Windows 8, but not by much. The same thing applies to IE 10 with DNS 11.5. That is, it is not compatible with IE 10.

6. Even with DNS 11.5, you still may find that there are some problems and functionality issues. DNS 11.5 appear to work reasonably under the Windows 8 Preview release. However, the final release changes the ground rules and you may find that using DNS 11.5 is problematic under Windows 8.

7. My basic recommendation is that if you intend to try DNS 10.1 or DNS 11.5 under Windows 8, be prepared to run into problems and also understand that Nuance has already indicated that they will not support any version of DNS below DNS 12 under Windows 8. Also, don't blame this on Nuance. It's the changes in Windows 8 that create the problems you may run into. Some of you may not run into any problems with DNS 11.5, or at least not run into any major problems. However, DNS 10.1 is another story. Nevertheless, don't expect any help from Nuance unless you are in stalling and running DNS 12 under Windows 8.

Chuck

Be careful what you wish for. You may find that what you get is not what you expect, or what you want. - Aesop (620 BC - 700 BC modern interpretation)

11/16/2012 06:38 AM

Author Icon
Everitt

We installed Dragon 12.0.100.106 unter Windows 8 Pro and were surprised to see that each Dragon program shortcut (which was available in the Windows7-Start menu) gets a tile on the Windows 8 start screen. All 16 of them! Is this normal for the Dragon Setup? Any tips?

Dragon taming for beginners...

11/16/2012 07:27 AM

Author Icon
monkey8
Top-Tier Member

Windows 8 tends to group new installations on the start screen where it shows what it considers to be all the apps/files that you would like to access, e.g. from a new installation of Dragon NaturallySpeaking. It's easy to remove what you don't want by simply right clicking on the tile and choosing unpin from start screen.

There are a few hacks around and third-party applications for bypassing the start screen and going straight to the desktop but Microsoft are determined to get people used to the new start screen so as soon as the hacks appear Microsoft plugs the holes. However they won't be able to stop the third-party applications from taking you directly to the desktop. There are also a few other ways of doing it. If you want further information on the new start screen then look at the following links where it shows you how to do everything from resizing the tiles to rearranging and sorting.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-resize-and-move-windows-8-metro-apps/

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/create-manage-groups-start-screen-app-tiles-windows-8

http://www.everything-microsoft.com/2012/03/12/customize-windows-8-start-screen-group-arrange-tiles/

Although I didn't particularly care much for the start screen initially I now like it a lot. It can be awkward for hands-free users on loading Windows 8 but there are various ways around hands-free starting and getting to the desktop.

Lindsay

For those who used to access the start menu a lot using methods like right clicking on the start menu then with Windows 8 you just position your cursor in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen and you will then see a start screen miniature. Just right click on the miniature to get access to lots of tools et cetera.

www.pcbyvoice.com
www.pcbyvoice.co.uk

Statistics
28627 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 117 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 117 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.