Excel 2010 Set Font Size Problem   - Jomark - 04/12/2012 03:34 PM  
 Excel 2010 Set Font Size Problem   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/12/2012 04:25 PM  
 Excel 2010 Set Font Size Problem   - Alan Cantor - 04/12/2012 04:48 PM  
 Excel 2010 Set Font Size Problem   - Chucker - 04/12/2012 05:13 PM  
Keyword
 04/12/2012 01:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

EMBWayne

when I say "Set 16" from what I have read that command should change the font size for the selected text to point size 16. Please see the attached screenshot displaying the resultswhen I say "Set 16". Am I using this command correctly or do am I not understand syntax of this command correctly?

Set <FontFace> <FontSize>
Set <FontFace> <FontSize> <FontStyle>
Set <FontFace> <FontStyle >
Set <FontSize>
Set <FontStyles >

When I attempt to use any of the commands to change the font face, size or style the commands do not work as advertised. I think the problem may be in my understanding of the command syntax. Could someone please help?

Thank you,

Ed

-------------------------

Using Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 and Knowbrainer 2012

04/12/2012 03:34 PM

Jomark
Top-Tier Member

Try saying "change font to 16" or if you're using KnowBrainer "Fontsize 16"

Jomark

04/12/2012 04:25 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Try substituting Set Size 16 for Fontsize 16 or Set 16 which we don't believe are commands.

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

04/12/2012 04:48 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Make sure Natural Language commands for Excel are enabled:

Dragon Bar -> Tools -> Options... -> Commands -> Natural Language Commands... -> Enable Microsoft Excel commands

04/12/2012 05:13 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Ed,

First, all Dragon commands have precise syntax. That is, you have to tell Dragon exactly what you want exactly the way Dragon expects it. Stray from the syntax and you can get some pretty bizarre results (worst-case scenario), or you can simply get the words displayed as text. Keep in mind that speech recognition does not understand what words mean, nor does it understand what you intended or meant to say. It's like a baby. It only understands what you want if you tell it exactly the way and wants to hear it.

When you're using any of the Microsoft office applications that support the Natural Language Commands for setting font sizes, styles, themes, etc. yada yada yada, you have to tell Dragon specifically what you want to set. Simply saying "Set 16" doesn't mean anything as far as Dragon is concerned because if Dragon were person, it would respond with "set 16 what?" You have to tell Dragon the "what".

When issuing "font" commands, you have to use the word "font" in the command. The way you scope out the commands in your post is basically meaningless. Also, there are literally hundreds of font commands. For example, you can say increase the font size by two points, make it bigger, make it smaller, set font to 16, set font size to 16 points, set font to Arial 16 points, and so on ad infinitum. Regardless, Dragon doesn't know what you want unless you tell it in a manner that it will recognize as a font command.

The simplest way to set font sizes in any Microsoft Office application that supports such is to simply say "set font 16".

I would suggest that you go back and review the font commands in the Dragon Command Browser for Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook.

As John (Jomark) points out you can also use "change font to 16". You can also use the KnowBrainer commands as Lunis points out.

The bottom line is that if you don't say a command correctly, verbatim, according to the syntax, it won't work period.

Lastly, when you're looking for specific commands to perform a specific function with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, find that commands that are easiest to say, easiest to remember, and use those consistently so that you memorize them. With all of the Natural Language Commands that are available, if you bounce around from one command syntax to another, you're very likely going to end up making mistakes and getting frustrated. Find what works best for you and use it, but remember it has to be something that Dragon understands.

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC
Home of VoicePower®: We don't make Dragon NaturallySpeaking, We make it better!

"What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you." - Anthony de Mello

Statistics
28498 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 92 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 99 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.