KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Basic question about naturally speaking
Topic Summary: I'm afraid these are beginners questions
Created On: 02/26/2012 10:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Basic question about naturally speaking   - tfritz1 - 02/26/2012 10:19 PM  
 Basic question about naturally speaking   - Alan Cantor - 02/26/2012 11:10 PM  
 Basic question about naturally speaking   - GDS - 02/27/2012 01:52 PM  
 Basic question about naturally speaking   - tfritz1 - 02/29/2012 05:32 PM  
 Basic question about naturally speaking   - R. Wilke - 02/29/2012 07:03 PM  
 Basic question about naturally speaking   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/27/2012 08:43 PM  
 Basic question about naturally speaking   - phils - 02/27/2012 10:53 PM  
Keyword
 02/26/2012 10:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tfritz1

These are beginner type questions, I know, although I have been using DNS for years now, I have yet to find the answers to these questions.

How do you save the custom commands that have recently been created without necessarily having to save the entire user? As my voice not all that clear and is never consistent, although with a lot of "scratch that" and "correct that " DNS works far better than if I had nothing; if it were not for Dragon Systems and NaturallySpeaking I could not use the computer.

When using NaturallySpeaking sometimes the "voice" commands do not work, like when I say "press echo" or "type echo" or "down 1 -- 10" or "enter" or even "backspace ", when using KnowBrainer. This causes me to type on the keyboard, which takes a long time because my hands and arms are very uncoordinated, and that is pretty annoying. My question is, is there a way to correct this?

Any help in this will be greatly appreciated.
Thom

-------------------------

"Life is Good"

02/26/2012 11:10 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

Quote:

How do you save the custom commands that have recently been created without necessarily having to save the entire user?

Custom commands are not stored along with your vocabulary. Commands are stored in a file named "mycmds.dat", which in Vista and Windows 7, is here:

C:\ProgramData\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking11\Users\Name_of_your_profile]\current

This file is updated whenever you save a custom command. Your user files that contain your vocabulary are not affected.

An easy way to transfer your custom commands from one profile to another is to copy mycmds.dat from the old location to the new.

Quote:

When using NaturallySpeaking sometimes the "voice" commands do not work, like when I say "press echo" or "type echo" or "down 1 -- 10" or "enter" or even "backspace ", when using KnowBrainer. This causes me to type on the keyboard, which takes a long time because my hands and arms are very uncoordinated, and that is pretty annoying. My question is, is there a way to correct this?

I am not sure what you mean by "voice commands", but let me try anyways...

Make sure to use the correct form of these commands. You may have better luck if you say "press letter echo," "move down <1-10>," "press Enter," and "press Backspace." In theory you can say "Backspace," but if it does not work consistently, an alternative form may be the ticket.

You can "force" command recognition by holding down the Ctrl key while saying a command. If you have difficulties holding it down, try using StickyKeys. Set Stickykeys to lock when a modifier key is pressed twice. If you do this, you can press Ctrl twice to latch it, say the command, then press Ctrl a third time to unlatch it.

02/27/2012 01:52 PM

Author Icon
GDS
Top-Tier Member

Alan and Thom,

Backspace, Enter, and Down 1-10 are all KnowBrainer commands. That seems to be a general technique for several of KnowBrainer's commands: take a NaturallySpeaking command and make it easier to deploy. Your advice is spot on, though. KnowBrainer has an "enter" command. NaturallySpeaking has the same command, but it's "press enter."  You're more likely to get your desired results using the NaturallySpeaking version of the command, just because that's the way NaturallySpeaking works. But the "enter", "backspace," and "Down 10" KnowBrainer commands all work. With practice, you'll get them to work reliably and eventually quicker than the NaturallySpeaking versions. The question then becomes: do I put in the effort to learn KnowBrainer's way and gain the benefit, or do I focus on the NaturallySpeaking way for now and incorporate KnowBrainer when I'm more comfortable?

Pratice, practice practice. It (NaturallySpeaking, KnowBrainer, and a combo of the two) is not easy to learn, but once it clicks you'll wonder how you ever lived without it.

Eric Wright  At work: Dragon Medical 10.1. At Home: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 13 Professional, KnowBrainer 2012; Dragon Dictate 3 for Mac

Appetite for Dictation - My Blog

02/29/2012 05:32 PM

tfritz1

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate the ideas, but the issue still remains about voice commands not working the keyboard.

That issue comes intermittently. Most of the time they work fine and others times they don't work at all, I can not figure it out. Whether I just say the simple form Enter" or Backspace" or I say "Enter That", "Enter 1" or "Press Enter '" it does not matter. No matter which way I say it, and believe me when I tell you that I spend about 1/3 of my time repeating what I just said because DNS did not understand my words.

"Life is Good"

02/29/2012 07:03 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
and believe me when I tell you that I spend about 1/3 of my time repeating what I just said because DNS did not understand my words

Simple rule of thumb, if it doesn't work first, it just won't work also when repeating it. Try to determine when and where it works, and when and where it doesn't. If it doesn't, what else is showing up in the recognition history, under "Tools - Recognition history"?

A salamander scurries into flame to be destroyed, imaginary creatures are trapped in birth on celluloid.

02/27/2012 08:43 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World’s Most Popular Speech Recognition Forum

Just adding to the other excellent advice, you can also substitute
Enter 1 or Backspace 1 for Enter, press enter, backspace and press backspace. KnowBrainer commands are in Upper case red and native NaturallySpeaking commands are in lower case orange.

Click KB 2014 to take KnowBrainer 2014 on a 30 day test drive

Click SpeechStart+ to take SpeechStart+ on a 15 Day test drive

02/27/2012 10:53 PM

Author Icon
phils
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
When using NaturallySpeaking sometimes the "voice" commands do not work, like when I say "press echo" or "type echo" or "down 1 -- 10" or "enter" or even "backspace ", when using KnowBrainer.

as you are practicing with Dragon NaturallySpeaking, I find it helpful to be able to look at the results box. You might find that your commands do not work because what Dragon recognizes is actually not the command you tried to fire. As an example, the one that has been bothering me recently is saying "Click Send"and seeing in the Results Box "Click Sent".

obviously if the command is misrecognized it will not fire.

Phil Schaadt

Statistics
28577 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 139 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 142 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.