KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Advice on working with the telephone while dictating with Dragon NaturallySpeaking
Topic Summary: Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Created On: 02/25/2012 11:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 02/25/2012 11:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

wheelstb
Top-Tier Member

I have a disability and cannot use my left hand very well. I am looking for a way to efficiently use Dragon NaturallySpeaking along with the telephone.

I recently graduated and I am unemployed at the moment but, I would like to work out a way to efficiently use the telephone with Dragon so that I can be as productive as possible.

Lunis suggested using a desktop microphone for dictation and a headset for working on the telephone. This would work great if I was working in a relatively quiet office. Unfortunately, I have no idea where I'm going to wind up and I don't want to let this problem limit my employment perspectives.

Someone else has suggested wearing to headphones. This is definitely something I want to try and avoid.

I know there are several people with disabilities on this forum so I am sure someone has come up with a worthwhile solution to this problem.

The microphone I would like to use is the boom o.

02/26/2012 01:17 PM

Author Icon
GDS
Top-Tier Member

Wheels,

First off, congratulations! Second, take a deep breath. Don't worry about having Dragon limit your employment perspectives. I entered the workforce not long ago. The world was my oyster. Now that I've entered a working situation where I've used Dragon every day -- and really, truly mastered office automation and creating content at over 100 words per minute, I'd argue to any perspective employer that if Dragon were to be provided to me as part of an accommodation, then having an employee who is a Dragon master is an asset, not a hindrance. The old "anything he can do, I can do better. Faster. Which leaves me time to concentrate on solving problems and improving operations... you know, making a difference," bit.

If you haven't read this thread, you might find it comforting: http://www.knowbrainer.com/PubForum/index.cfm?page=viewForumTopic&topicId=13755

To Lunis's suggestion of using a desktop microphone and a telephone headset: it didn't work for me, but that doesn't mean it's a bad idea. I used the SpeechWare 2-in-1 for a spell, and as excellent as that microphone is I just couldn't use it to its full potential. A gentleman sat very close to me who had a similar speaking voice to me, and wouldn't you know it Dragon would sometimes transcribe his phone conversations. So it goes.

Honestly, average "cubicle noise" will NOT interfere with productive speech recognition use. Take it from someone who's done the Dragon-in-a-cubicle thing for almost four years now. 

The solution to the problem for me was a simple fix: a close talk, headset microphone like the KnowBrainer hands-free, Sennheiser ME-3, VXI Tria or Audio Technica headset. I prefer the Sennheiser ME-3, but you might want to try the VXI Tria. It has attachments that can make it compatible with some phone systems. Lunis might be able to walk you through your options in that regard.

One reason I like the Sennheiser ME-3 is that it's got open ears. This lets me wear a second telephone headset. I know this is something you said you wanted to avoid, but it works for me. For years I wore a simple GN Netcom telephone headset. It could, technically speaking, work with Dragon, but performance was atrocious -- worse than the standard Andrea Dragon headset, about on par with the built-in microphone found on most laptops. So I upgraded to the Jabra bluetooth headset. The ones Lunis sells are superb telephone headsets, and they are more than passable as speech recognition microphones.

Your stated preference is for theBoom O. You might be surprised how well that could work for you... and how much of a non-issue this "telephone headset" thing could be. Several enterprises are switching to VOIP and soft phones. That is, physical telephones are old technology. Most are looking to leverage technology that everybody already has... laptops and software... to eliminate the hardware telephone. If you're using software to be your "telephone" interface... i.e., Skype, Google Chat, Office Communicator, etc... then a monaural headset like theBoom O could be perfect for you.

Bottom line: WHATEVER your situation is, there is a solution. Concentrate on getting the job first. Don't let a perceived lack of Dragon incompatibility discourage you.  Don't let your disability pre-emptively rule out any potential gainful employment. Sure, you and I may never be bodybuilders or secret agents or professional athletes... but if you're working a "knowledge" job where information and communication and your ability to process is more important than your physical ability, you'll find a solution.

-------------------------

Eric Wright  At work: Dragon Medical 10.1. At Home: Dragon NaturallySpeaking 13 Professional, KnowBrainer 2012; Dragon Dictate 3 for Mac

Appetite for Dictation - My Blog

02/26/2012 08:58 PM

wheelstb
Top-Tier Member

Eric,

Thank you for the advice and for the congratulations. I recently graduated and I have not yet found a job. But I want to make sure that when I do find employment I have all of my ducks in a row.

I have seen the thread you referenced and it does make me a little bit more comfortable.

I know that working on the telephone is definitely intricate part of any office job. I have found a possible solution I found and Andrea switch that will allow you to use speech recognition and the telephone with the same headset simultaneously.

Of course, the first one I ordered was defective and it has taken me quite some time to get a replacement. I will definitely report my findings back.

02/27/2012 08:22 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

Wheels,

don't know if it sells in your country but I use the Sennheiser DW Office for dictation and telephone. The docking station has a switch to choose between the two (and of course, I always forget to switch to the right application :-)

People tell me that the Sennheiser DW Pro headset, which uses the same docking station, is better in terms of noise cancelling. Since I work in a quiet environment, I couldn't find any discernible difference. I get 99% accuracy, too, so any recognition errors are usually due to my sloppy pronunciation and not to the hardware.

Good luck to you,

Stephan

www.immer-eine-Nuance-besser.de

02/27/2012 11:29 AM

wheelstb
Top-Tier Member

Thanks, I will definitely have to give that a look.
 02/27/2012 10:17 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We discontinued offering the Andrea Electronics SeleCT Switch a decade ago because we couldn't convince the manufacturer that the switch was improperly shielded. Unless you live in the Outback, the SeleCT Switch will pick up all kinds of interference such as low band FM radio. Over 50% of our customers returned these units but even the ones that worked reasonably well suffered from substandard accuracy when attempting to use the unit in the 3rd position so you could talk on the phone and your computer simultaneously. This is why this item doesn't appear on our website. In theory, we loved the idea of being able to dictate on the phone and the computer without having to click any buttons because that's exactly the problem with other types of systems such as the Jabra Pro 9470; human error, as Stephan pointed out. 

Note that we also tested 3 Sennheiser DW Office systems and the noise cancellation was so dismal that we found it to be unacceptable for most environments where a keyboard click or even breathing could cause a misrecognition.

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

02/27/2012 11:04 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

I can't confirm this. I just tested a DW Office against the DW Pro headset precisely because I had received that kind of feedback. I had a podcast on my computer loudspeakers at moderate volume, and there was no measurable drop in recognition. Also, 99% may be dismal for some but is my average :-)

I found keyboard noises to cause slight delays in recognition but I've never ever had a misrecognition that I could attribute to these kinds of noise.

Just my opinion, and the headset may react differently in other surroundings, but I still swear by (not at) my DW Office.

Stephan

www.immer-eine-Nuance-besser.de

02/27/2012 11:31 AM

wheelstb
Top-Tier Member

Lunis

I know that some of the PC switches are prone to reissues. I think I read on PC speak.com that if you could get one of the older models it was actually shielded better. I'm this ordering on the hope that I will get one of the ones that actually works.

Thanks
Statistics
28520 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 120 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 121 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.