KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Attempting to recover from low system resources.
Topic Summary: computer hangs several times a day, with this message, and must be rebooted.
Created On: 09/26/2011 06:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Attempting to recover from low system resources.   - MichaelB - 09/26/2011 06:14 PM  
 Attempting to recover from low system resources.   - Alan Cantor - 09/26/2011 09:08 PM  
 Attempting to recover from low system resources.   - MichaelB - 09/26/2011 09:35 PM  
 Attempting to recover from low system resources.   - Chucker - 09/27/2011 04:36 AM  
 Attempting to recover from low system resources.   - R. Wilke - 09/27/2011 09:12 AM  
 Attempting to recover from low system resources.   - MichaelB - 09/27/2011 02:55 PM  
 Attempting to recover from low system resources.   - R. Wilke - 09/27/2011 03:03 PM  
 Attempting to recover from low system resources.   - MichaelB - 09/27/2011 04:19 PM  
 Attempting to recover from low system resources.   - R. Wilke - 09/27/2011 04:31 PM  
 Attempting to recover from low system resources.   - Chucker - 09/27/2011 08:25 PM  
 Attempting to recover from low system resources.   - MichaelB - 09/28/2011 07:11 PM  
 Attempting to recover from low system resources.   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/26/2011 11:24 PM  
 Attempting to recover from low system resources.   - MichaelB - 09/27/2011 12:04 AM  
Keyword
 09/26/2011 06:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MichaelB
Power Member

When I am dictating over a longer period of time, DNS freezes, with the message: "attempting to recover from low system resources"  At that point, Word also freezes, and neither program can be re-activated without rebooting the computer and losing some of my data. 

I had assumed that this problem was due to out of date hardware,  so I installed DNS 11.5 on a new computer (Intel i3 @ 2.10 GHz, 4gb RAM, 64 bit operating system, Windows 7, Word 2010; theboom O headset, Andrea Pureaudio sound card).  

However, the problem is persisting. I read a thread on this topic from 2008, from which I understood this problem was due to allowing DNS to idle in the "sleep" mode for an extended period of time.  Based on this logic, today I have been exiting and re-starting DNS about once an hour.  However, the latest episode of both Word and DNS crashing occurred after DNS had been active for only about 20 minutes.  

Any advice on how to prevent this?

TIA

MB

-------------------------

I7 3537U, 8GB RAM, 256 K SSD, Win 8.1, DNS 12 Home

09/26/2011 09:08 PM

Alan Cantor
Top-Tier Member

I wonder whether the problem stems from the size of your Word files. I have seen DNS slow to a crawl when a file starts to get large. How many pages are yours? If they are over 30 or 35 pages, it's time to break large documents into several smaller documents.
 09/26/2011 09:35 PM

MichaelB
Power Member

Thanks for the reply. 

I do work on large files (25-45 pp), But I haven't encountered a problem with DNS slowing sown because of file size since Version 7!

In today's incident the document was probably about 10 pages long when the programs froze.  However, I will try your suggestion and see whether it makes a difference

09/27/2011 04:36 AM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
Thanks, Linus. I take it then that the issue of low system resources could be related to the fact that I have an i3 rather than an i7? If that is the case, I'm going to take my new computer back right away and upgrade.

Michael,

The problem that you're experiencing has nothing to do with whether you have a Core™ i3 or Core™ i7. So, taking it back and upgrading it isn't going to necessarily solve your problem.

Here is an explanation on system resources and what it means:

In many cases, an "out of memory" message is misleading, since your whole system really did not run out of memory. Instead, certain areas of memory (Microsoft calls "heaps" ) used by Windows have run low on space. Windows maintains an area of memory for operating system resources. The maximum size of this area is 128K, in two 64K areas.

When any program begins running, it uses up some space in the "system resources" area in memory. But, as you exit, some programs do not give back system resources they were temporarily using. Eventually the system will crash as it runs out of memory. The crash happens sometimes if you start and close many programs, even the same ones, without a periodic reboot. This is what Microsoft calls a resource leak or memory leak.

When you tell your system to exit a program, the program is supposed to give back the resources (memory) it was using. But, because programs are written by humans, mistakes can happen and the program may not give back all to the operating system. This failing to "give back" is the "memory leak," eventually leading to a message that your computer is low on resources. Memory leaks can also be caused by programs that automatically load every time you boot your Windows system.

The system resources problem is something you might have to live with until the misbehaving application is found. If you are sure a certain application is causing the problem, be sure to contact the software vendor.­­You can keep track of your system resources via the handy tool at Start >> Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> Resource Meter. If you do not have a copy, you can download it at UtilMind Solutions. The resource meter adds the "fuel gauge" to your Windows task bar, to help you keep track of your system's resources. As the bar graph gauge turns from green to yellow, then the dreaded red, you know you have a problem! But you need to remember that the resource meter also consumes what you are trying to conserve: system resources.

The best preventive maintenance is to periodically reboot your Windows system. No conspiracy, no need to buy memory, unless you are approaching the limits of the current amount of RAM installed. Buying memory does not fix the "system resources" problem, because its size is fixed, no matter how much physical memory is installed. In addition, even buying a new computer or upgrading your current one won't fix the problem.

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC
Home of VoicePower®: Simply powerful, powerfully simple

"Many of the things you can count, don't count. Many of the things you can't count, really count." Albert Einstein

09/27/2011 09:12 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
In many cases, an "out of memory" message is misleading, since your whole system really did not run out of memory. Instead, certain areas of memory (Microsoft calls "heaps" used by Windows have run low on space. Windows maintains an area of memory for operating system resources. The maximum size of this area is 128K, in two 64K areas.

Chuck,

I wasn't aware that there are "heaps" actually, meaning more than one, and although you may be on to something by pointing in that direction, but I am not sure, however I don't think the statement is correct (heap size isn't fixed, but system related as far as I am informed, therefore allowing processes to run in reserved, but limited memory areas, as opposed to the stack, and yes I did break the heap size limit in C++ and learned how to crash a computer really hard), and I am also wondering will it help anyone here bringing it up - aside from being a bit faulty at best. No doubt, there are also quite a few people being more qualified to discuss this than me.

For those interested in it, I would recommend referring to sources more reliable than me, or reading a forum dedicated to such questions,  such as the "Stack Overflow" forum. So here is an interesting thread about it:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/79923/what-and-where-are-the-stack-and-heap

Please also note that they have quite a useful evaluating feature in that forum, like this:

This question is protected to prevent "thanks!", "me too!", or spam answers by new users. To answer it, you must have earned more than 10 reputation on this site.

Food for thought.

Rüdiger

09/27/2011 02:55 PM

MichaelB
Power Member

Yikes!  This is getting pretty technical for a Luddite like me!  

Chuck:  Thanks for clarifying the nature of the problem.  I'm glad to hear I don't have to upgrade my computer (which I bought two days ago).  I checked out the website you mentioned, but it appears that there latest entries are from March 01.  Windows 7 has a Resource Monitor program, which I hope will provide the information that you recommended.   In the meantime, I guess I'll have to reboot every hour or so. This will be very inefficient, but better than the computer freezing several times a day.  

It's funny, but in the 10 years I have been using DNS, this problem has never previously occurred.   

09/27/2011 03:03 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Michael,

would you please submit a Dragon log file and tell us when (what time in it) you were encountering a freeze, so we might locate it more easily?

Rüdiger

09/27/2011 04:19 PM

MichaelB
Power Member

Thanks, Rudiger.  I would be happy to do that, but I having difficulty locating this Dragon log file.  Can you give me some direction on this?  

09/27/2011 04:31 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Michael,

go to "Start - All programs - Dragon NaturallySpeaking - Show Dragon log file" (or something similar, I am currently on a German system). In the following screen, this file will be selected already. Copy it somewhere, and make sure to rename the file extension from .log to .txt prior to submitting it here. Alternatively, you can send me the file as an e-maill attachment just like it is.

Rüdiger

09/27/2011 08:25 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Michael,

You can also say "open show Dragon log" and that will open up Windows Explorer with the Dragon log highlighted.

Just make sure that you change the file extension from Dragon.log to Dragon.txt. If you attach your Dragon log with the *.log extension, it will be unreadable on the forum. I would suggest that you copy the Dragon log to your desktop and then change the filename from Dragon.log to Dragon.txt before attaching it.

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC
Home of VoicePower®: Simply powerful, powerfully simple

"What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you." - Anthony de Mello

09/28/2011 07:11 PM

MichaelB
Power Member

Thank you very much Chuck.  I will follow the procedure, as you suggested. 

09/26/2011 11:24 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

40 pages shouldn't be a problem. Granted, we have 12 Gb of RAM on an i7 990X processor but we experience almost no delay on the 91 page Microsoft Word version of the Quick Tips. However, 4 Gb of RAM is a little light for Windows 7. You're also using an i3 processor (which is a little light on cache) and we prefer not going below when i5.

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

09/27/2011 12:04 AM

MichaelB
Power Member

Thanks, Linus.  I take it then that the issue of low system resources could be related to the fact that I have an i3 rather than an i7?  If that is the case, I'm going to take my new computer back right away and upgrade.  

Statistics
28140 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 81 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 82 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.