KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to Kill the Software Manager?
Topic Summary: Nuance ADware
Created On: 08/31/2011 09:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - G.J. Premo - 08/31/2011 09:26 PM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/31/2011 11:04 PM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - Chucker - 08/31/2011 11:16 PM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - JTBIGTOAD - 11/18/2012 07:22 PM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - Elihias - 02/12/2013 06:42 PM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - G.J. Premo - 02/13/2013 01:54 PM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - Tony_F - 02/13/2013 04:01 PM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - Chucker - 02/13/2013 07:48 PM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - Elihias - 02/15/2013 01:48 AM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - Chucker - 02/15/2013 07:12 AM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - Chucker - 02/15/2013 11:38 AM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - ilox - 02/18/2013 10:10 AM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - DenisD - 02/18/2013 09:12 PM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - Chucker - 02/18/2013 09:41 PM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - Stephan Kuepper - 02/19/2013 09:12 AM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - JTBIGTOAD - 03/28/2013 06:51 PM  
 How to Kill the Software Manager?   - DenisD - 02/18/2013 10:13 PM  
Keyword
 08/31/2011 09:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

G.J. Premo
Top-Tier Member

Nuance installs some adware called Software Manager.  How to kill it so it never reappears?
 08/31/2011 11:04 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You will find a step-by-step on preventing Nuance nagging messages when you look up “update service” as in 'How to Disable the Update Service' in the NaturallySpeaking Quick Tips (at the top of this page).

-------------------------
Lunis Orcutt (615) 884-4558 x2
Live Chat
KnowBrainer Videos
What Is KnowBrainer Professional 2017 (PDF)
KnowBrainer 2017 (30 Day Trial)
SpeechStart+ (15 Day Trial)
 08/31/2011 11:16 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

G.J.,

First of all, the Software Manager is not only installed by Nuance, it is installed by any application that uses InstallShield as its installer. It is not unique to Nuance.

Second, the Software Manager is, aside from being part of InstallShield, is installed for the purpose of allowing your system to check for updates on any application that uses the InstallShield wizard to install that application. While it's a long story, suffice it to say that the original company (Macrovision) no longer owns InstallShield. InstallShield was originally acquired by Acresso, who subsequently had to change their name to FLEXnet because of trademark infringement. At any rate InstallShield is currently owned and distributed by FLEXnet.

Third, you cannot uninstall it even though you can remove it. However, I advise against that simply because if you do, then you will not be able to obtain any updates for any software that installs using InstallShield, and most particularly, you won't be able to get any updates from Nuance via "Check for Updates" from the Help menu on the DragonBar for DNS. If the software manager isn't active, and a service pack is released for DNS, you won't know about it and you won't be able to get it.

Lastly, you can, if you feel the need to, disable it by going to Run in any version of Windows and type in msconfig. In the dialogue that ensues, go to the following Startup tab and simply removed the checkmark as shown in the screen capture below. This will disable (prevent) ISUSPM.exe from loading at Windows startup, and essentially shuts down the Software Manager. The reason that I suggest doing this is that if you need to check for updates on any software using InstallShield as its installer, then you may want to enable it, or you may need to enable it.

Regardless, by removing the checkmark from the checkbox shown above, you will effectively disable the Software Manager.

As I've already stated, many applications use the InstallShield wizard and also install the Software Manager such that this is not unique to Nuance. What is unique to Nuance is that they tend to use it for nag ware, which can be very irritating if you're not interested in PaperPort 14, OmniPage Pro 18, or the other abusive uses of this Software Manager by Nuance. Nevertheless, you don't want to permanently remove it because if you do, you'll be in bigger trouble than if you simply disable it from starting up.

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC
Home of VoicePower®: Simply powerful, powerfully simple

"Life's Rule #1: Once you pull the pin, Mr. Grenade is no longer your friend."  (Variant of Murphy's Law  -  Edward A. Murphy, Jr)

VoiceComputer: the only global speech interface.

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist
VoiceComputer technical support

11/18/2012 07:22 PM

Author Icon
JTBIGTOAD
Power Member

ONCE AGAIN THANKS THE NAGWARE HAS COME BACK!

JT

THE TRAC BALL ALWAYS LANDS IN THE GUACAMOLE  

DNS Prefered 13, WINDOWS 8.1 (yuck) PENTIUM n 3530 CPU  2.16Ghz, 8.0 Gb RAM, REAL ANDREA USB ANC750 MIKE

02/12/2013 06:42 PM

Author Icon
Elihias

Hi all,

I'm afraid I cannot agree with Chucker (though of course, this is my own personal opinion, and if I'm entitled to one, then so is he)

A simple Google of Flexnet indicates that their products (License Managers, Update Managers, et al) are commonly used vectors for virus and malware attacks. If nothing else, the nagware aspect is untenable. I'd not leave it on my home PC for any reason.  At work, it would be simply unthinkable to allow Flexnet to get on the inside of the small corporate network we have to admin. At the very least, it would play havoc with revision-control of DNS across the network, though it would be fairly simple to Group Policy it out of our hair, no doubt.

The current uninstaller for this software, which -should- (as a matter of simple courtesy) have been bundled by Nuance with their releases of DNS, can be found here:

http://support.installshield.com/kb/files/Q112918/SoftwareManagerUninstall.exe

If you would rather download it from Nuance themselves, I believe this link is still valid:

http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5688/~/%22please-wait-while-windows-configures-dragon-naturallyspeaking...%22-message

Better yet, they should have provided an 'opt-out' during the install process. Even Adobe, Java, and a couple of the other big fish who try to install toolbars, additional software and home-page redirects, give you the option to refuse, 'thank-you-very-much'.

Best of all, they should have stuck with the previous upgrade methodology they used to use. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. 

Basically, bundling these kinds of products is done to provide an extra revenue-stream. I'm somewhat ashamed to see Nuance, who provide a good product, and reasonable support, sink this low.

Regards,

Elihias.

02/13/2013 01:54 PM

G.J. Premo
Top-Tier Member

First time I've ever heard anyone say that Nuance provides "reasonable support".   They are basically "no support."

02/13/2013 04:01 PM

Author Icon
Tony_F

Thanks for the alternate viewpoint, Elihias; I can see why this could be a significant issue in enterprise/SMB situations. But I'm also curious about your opinion on Nuance support; are you referring to DNS specifically, or some of their other products?

Tony Fiset
Speech Recognition Solutions 

02/13/2013 07:48 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Paul,

Back when I made the original post, which was well over a year ago, a lot has changed since that post (August 2011). InstallShield used to be owned by Macrovision. It was subsequently sold to Acresso, but the bottom line was that there was a trademark infringement with the company name so it was changed to Flexera Software. Whether or not the Software Manager uninstall works depends on a number of factors, including whether or not you have the most current version.

The links that you posted are old. While they may point to the right source, you're better off going to the horses mouth at the following link:

http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q111006

At the time I made the original post, there was no valid Software Manager uninstall. It looks like that has changed. Nevertheless, you're basically arguing with the ghost of Christmas past.

Chuck

"About the time we can make the ends meet, somebody moves the ends." Herbert Hoover

The views, thoughts and opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect those of VoiceTeach LLC.

Chuck Runquist

02/15/2013 01:48 AM

Author Icon
Elihias

To answer those who asked, Dragon support is... 'reasonable' by comparison to some support I've had to deal with over the years.

Perhaps Nuance responds better to corporates with quite a few licenses, or perhaps I've just been lucky.

Thinking it through as I type this, if others haven't been so lucky with their issues, there wouldn't be a need for sites such as KnowBrainer. It obviously fills a void which I haven't come across before. 

Though I'm loathe to spend time filling in registrations normally, I think this site's a keeper.

Chucker... sorry if I was a little acerbic in my initial post, I'd done a 120 mile round-trip support call that day.

It was probably low blood sugar doing the talking.

Ah well, back to lurking...

Regards,

Eli.

02/15/2013 07:12 AM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Paul,

Not a problem. We all have our bad hair days.

Hopefully, the link that I provided will give everybody the latest Software Manager removal tool. Somewhere along the line I remember that the original removal tool that was being provided by Macrovision (InstallShield) didn't work. Hopefully this one does. Long long ago in a galaxy far far away, I just went in and disabled the software manager by renaming the executables. Easiest thing to do if the Software Manager remover doesn't succeed. If anyone wants to know where these files are located, just let me know and I'll provide the instructions.

As regards Nuance technical support, I agree with you. It does depend on whom you get when you call support. There was a point in time when I used to train the Dragon technical support folks, again, long long ago in a galaxy far far away and sometime before the battle of Gettysburg and prior to that I spent 10 years training technical support staff for Veritisoft Systems, Inc., Quarterdeck Corp., Finjan, Trend Micro, yada yada yada. The problem with technical support, regardless of where you get it from, has to do with the fact that these folks are basically entry-level, have never done this before, rely on help desk applications, and/or generally first level technical support staff. It's only when you get lucky and you get a second-level or third level technical support person, primarily because these folks have been around for a while and are paid better, then you get better support. When I have technical questions, primarily with regard to new versions of Dragon, I have access to the director of technical support at Nuance as well as the senior director of programming for Dragon, who was one of my former colleagues Re: Dragon NaturallySpeaking at L&H (Lernout & Hauspie). Nevertheless, I can sympathize with those folks who end up falling into the technical support black hole. On the other hand, it's important to keep in mind that it isn't just Nuance that has a problem with technical support. There are many software companies that are equally as bad given the circumstances above. And, even with those companies who don't provide the best technical support, there are those individuals doing technical support that if you're lucky enough to get, know exactly what your problem is and how to resolve it. The problem is they are too few and far between.

The bottom line is that getting good technical support is a crap shoot no matter what software you're trying to get support for. That's why having access to users on this forum like Lindsay Adams and RĂ¼diger Wilke, Phil Schaadt and a whole host of others, the list of which is too long to mention in one breath or post here. To those folks I apologize, but you know who you are. Nevertheless, a forum like KnowBrainer that gives the forum members the opportunity to express their thoughts, opinions, experience, and allows everyone to agree to disagree or concur in an environment that's free from excessive scrutiny and censorship, like Nuance's own forum, which is basically about as worthless as a box of rocks, is the best way to get technical support for Dragon. Unfortunately, end-users are usually the most experienced in using an understanding any particular piece of software.

Chuck

As scarce as truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the demand. - Josh Billings (1818-1885)

Chuck Runquist

02/15/2013 11:38 AM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Paul et al.,

I just ran the Software Manager uninstall from the link that I posted (new one). It works with DNS 12 and DNS 10.1 (I no longer have DNS 11.5 installed, but I'm sure that it will work there also) in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows XP.

Just a heads up FYI.

Chuck

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is." - Yogi Berra

Chuck Runquist

02/18/2013 10:10 AM

Author Icon
ilox
Power Member

Thanks mate, that killed off the nuisance. Always wondered how that thing got in there and I had been looking through the Start boxes to find and destroy it. You have saved me a chase

Cheers, Ian
Microphone: Sennheiser PC 8 USB
desktop PC: Windows 10 64-bit, Intel i5–4590 CPU, 16 gig DDR3 RAM, ASUS H97M–E motherboard, Dragon 13 premium and now DPI 14
netbook: Asus EEE 1000 H, Windows 7 32-bit, Intel Atom CPU N270, 2 gig DDR2 RAM, Dragon 12.5 premium

02/18/2013 09:12 PM

DenisD

Yabbut, if I uninstall the Software Manager will I be able to download future Nuance DNS updates? Back in 2011, Chuck warned that, without Software Manager, we might not be able to get updates.

02/18/2013 09:41 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Denis,

If you read the documentation associated at the link that I provided with regard to how the Software Manager uninstall utility works, you would have known that it does not uninstall the Software Manager, it simply prevents it from launching and bugging the hell out of you by sitting in the system tray (systray) and periodically automatically checking for updates. It does this by removing the run options in the Windows system registry not by uninstalling the software. It doesn't prevents you from loading the Software Manager by clicking on the Dragon Help menu and selecting Check for Updates. The only thing that you have to remember to do is to periodically check for updates manually. In other words, once you run this utility the Software Manager will not automatically go out and check for updates and/or prompt you with any of Nuance's marketing horse pucky.

Chuck

Education is when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get if you don't. - Pete Seeger

Chuck Runquist

02/19/2013 09:12 AM

Author Icon
Stephan Kuepper
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Chucker ... it simply prevents it from launching and bugging the hell out of you by sitting in the system tray (systray) and periodically automatically checking for updates. It does this by removing the run options in the Windows system registry not by uninstalling the software. It doesn't prevents you from loading the Software Manager by clicking on the Dragon Help menu and selecting Check for Updates. The only thing that you have to remember to do is to periodically check for updates manually.

FWIW, in DNS 11 it was enough to remove the checkmark in the administrative settings. In DNS 12, that doesn't seem to change a thing, or does it?

Stephan

www.egs-vertrieb.de - www.spracherkennungscloud.de

03/28/2013 06:51 PM

Author Icon
JTBIGTOAD
Power Member

Well, yet again, the Nagware is back!

Now it links to a dead server!

I wouldn't mind it if the "don't tell me again" link would work!

JT

THE TRAC BALL ALWAYS LANDS IN THE GUACAMOLE  

DNS Prefered 13, WINDOWS 8.1 (yuck) PENTIUM n 3530 CPU  2.16Ghz, 8.0 Gb RAM, REAL ANDREA USB ANC750 MIKE

02/18/2013 10:13 PM

DenisD

Thanks Chuck

Statistics
31273 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 260 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 261 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.