Visual C++ runtime error   - Jim Beverley - 08/17/2010 03:29 PM  
 Visual C++ runtime error   - Marcus - 04/23/2012 05:15 AM  
 Visual C++ runtime error   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/23/2012 02:58 PM  
 Visual C++ runtime error   - Chucker - 04/23/2012 06:32 PM  
Keyword
 08/17/2010 02:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Jim Beverley

I just got Dragon 11 Premium. And now I have spent 2 hours trying to get it to install.  I had forgotten the old error from the install of Dragon 10 two years ago.  But it all came back with a depressing clarity.

Run setup.

Get this message: Visual C++ Runtime must be installed before running Dragon NaturallySpeaking installation. Please run setup.exe from the installation source. 

I go to Add/remove programs and note that Visual C++ Runtime is installed. So far I have installed/reinstalled Visual C++ Runtime twice.

I have rebooted the computer many times.

I have tried to delete Dragon 10. I get a failure error.

Help!

And here's a new note, added 20 minutes after above text...I read more on the problem and saw a note from Chuck, I believe, about the location for the Runtime file.  I found it from the disk and then installed the 32 bit version.  

Again, same old error.  

I think this C++ error is so common that I wish Nuance would supply a clear warning about it.  

-------------------------

DNS 10 Preferred

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200

2.33 GHz, 2.93 GB of RAM

08/17/2010 10:08 AM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
I just got Dragon 11 Premium. And now I have spent 2 hours trying to get it to install. I had forgotten the old error from the install of Dragon 10 two years ago. But it all came back with a depressing clarity.

Run setup.

Get this message: Visual C++ Runtime must be installed before running Dragon NaturallySpeaking installation. Please run setup.exe from the installation source.

I go to Add/remove programs and note that Visual C++ Runtime is installed. So far I have installed/reinstalled Visual C++ Runtime twice.

I have rebooted the computer many times.

I have tried to delete Dragon 10. I get a failure error.

Help!

And here's a new note, added 20 minutes after above text...I read more on the problem and saw a note from Chuck, I believe, about the location for the Runtime file. I found it from the disk and then installed the 32 bit version.

Again, same old error.

I think this C++ error is so common that I wish Nuance would supply a clear warning about it.

Jim,

First, the technote that you were referring to applies to DNS 10, not DNS 11. It is not applicable to DNS 11 install.

Second, if you didn't uninstall DNS 10-10.1 before you installed DNS 11, then you essentially went cliff diving without checking for rocks first. DNS 11 was fully tested and checked for this problem and it didn't show up in any of the testing. Note also that the runtime that DNS 11 installs is Visual C++ runtime 9.0 for Dragon NaturallySpeaking (32-bit) and Visual C++ runtime 9.0 for Dragon NaturallySpeaking 64-bit (x64) (Windows Vista and Windows 7 64-bit). DNS 10-10.1 installs Visual C++ runtime 8.0 for Dragon NaturallySpeaking. Also note that DNS 11 does not support Windows XP 64-bit. I just mention that as an aside. I note that that you're not using the 64-bit version of Windows XP because DNS 10.1 doesn't support it either and you refer to the 32-bit version. Do the following:

1. Make sure that you install any copies of Visual C++ runtime 8.0 or 9.0 for Dragon NaturallySpeaking.

2. If you don't already have the Dragon 10 remove utility (Dragon10remover.exe). Go to the following Nuance webpage and review the instructions as well as downloading the Dragon10remover.exe as instructed. Note that if you want to preserve your Dragon 10 users, you should copy the DNS 10 Users folder to a safe location before you run the Dragon10remover.exe. The Dragon10remover.exe removes every instance of DNS 10 from your hard drive and from your Windows system registry; including your user files, all the program files, and all the registry entries, which is important when installing DNS 11 if you didn't uninstall DNS 10 first.

http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5183/session/L3NpZC93MnlLR3k3aw%3D%3D/kw/Uninstalling%20Dragon%20NaturallySpeaking%209/p/17/r_id/100023/sno/1

3. Before you attempt to reinstall DNS 11 Premium, make sure that you are running Windows XP SP3. There are two sets of files that must be installed in order to install DNS 11 (Microsoft net framework 3.51 and MSXML 4.1). If these are not installed, you cannot install the Visual C++ runtime 9.0 for Dragon NaturallySpeaking because these sets of files are necessary. They are included in the Windows XP SP3 update. Be advised that Microsoft no longer supports Windows XP SP2 and below and many of the current applications require it, including and without exception DNS 11. So, if you are currently running Windows XP SP2, then that may be part of your problem.

4. After doing the above, reboot your system and try reinstalling DNS 11 Premium.

Let me know if that solves your problem. If so, fine. If not, we'll take it to the next level. However, don't blame Nuance because the C++ error is not as common as you think, and it is not at all common to DNS 11. In fact, during testing it didn't occur once on any of my 7 systems, which vary from a Core2™ Duo with only 2 GB of RAM to my Core™ i7 980X Extreme with 12 GB of RAM, 6 scores, and 12 MB of L3 cache. Of course, I install DNS 10 first because that is standard when moving to a new version. In the future, keep that in the back of your head. That is, never install a new version over top of an older version, even if your new version is an upgrade version because all you need for an upgrade is the original previous version CD/DVD. Besides, the Premium version is a full version even if you purchased it as an upgrade.

Just on the chance that your KnowBrainer profile is not up-to-date and you are running Windows Vista or Windows 7 64-bit, you need to install the VCRuntime 64-bit version. However, again, I'm simply trying to make all things clear to you, not assuming that you're running the 64-bit version of either of these.

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC
Home of VoicePower® Ultimate

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then somebody will do it that way.  (variant of Murphy's law - Edward A. Murphy, Jr.)

08/17/2010 12:28 PM

Jim Beverley

Chuck,

I was hoping that when I got up this morning that an angel would help solve the Visual C++ run time issue.  Well, I have your instruction and am about to go through the various items.

For now, thank you for giving me your time and expertise.

I will let you know how the solution goes.

One note: when I tried to install Dragon 11 last nite I chose the option from the setup to delete version 10. So, I thought I was being a good boy.

Anyway, I move on to solution land, hopefully!

Jim

DNS 10 Preferred

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200

2.33 GHz, 2.93 GB of RAM

08/17/2010 03:29 PM

Jim Beverley

Thanks to Chuck, this message is being dictated by Dragon NaturallySpeaking version 11 premium. Chuck, I followed your instructions and downloaded the remover.exe file from Nuance, had Visual already installed, backed up user file from 10, removed version 10, and downloaded 11.

I'm deeply grateful for your help.

Jim

DNS 10 Preferred

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200

2.33 GHz, 2.93 GB of RAM

04/23/2012 05:15 AM

Marcus

I came across Chucker's contribution below and it seems to be dealing with almost the same issue as the one I am having. I am hoping that Chucker (or someone else) can help me.

I am trying to instal DNS Premium Version 11 from CD. It tries to install Visual C++ 9.0 Runtime for DNS and throws out Error 1935. The Nuance website suggests that I shut down any firewalls and antivirus programs and update Windows (PS: I am running Windows 7, while Chucker's earlier post dealt with Windows XP). I have done all of that and DNS will still not install.

Any ideas? Is it a service pack issue as per Windows XP? Or something else.

PS: I have attached a screenshot of the error message. 

Regards
Marcus

04/23/2012 02:58 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World’s Most Popular Speech Recognition Forum

You will also find a similar explanation in the NaturallySpeaking Quick Tips (at the top of this page) when you look up “Error 1935”.

Are you certain that you don't have some other type of third-party security application running such as anti-spyware? A firewall block is the only reason we have found for error 1935 but if no other solution presents itself, it may be time to call Nuance support (407) 241-1822 and make this their problem.

We also noted that you did not include your computer specs in your profile. Your computer's specs might just give us an additional hint to this issue.

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

04/23/2012 06:32 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Marcus,

The e-mail that you sent me from KnowBrainer is where I responded with possibilities for rectifying this problem. Review that e-mail and then let me know if that solves the problem.

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC
Home of VoicePower®: We don't make Dragon NaturallySpeaking, We make it better!

"About the time we can make the ends meet, somebody moves the ends." Herbert Hoover

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » NaturallySpeaking Speech Recognition » Visual C++ runtime error

Statistics
28371 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 112 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 114 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.