KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: NaturallySpeaking 10.1 --->W7: Can not find Multimedia Device...... error message
Topic Summary: "Cannot find Multimedia device. Check to see if your computer has a sound car, or if the multimedia wave-in component is missing from the sound card."
Created On: 06/08/2010 02:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 06/08/2010 02:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

boblink

Hi, I have been using NaturallySpeaking 10 Standard for about a year and when opening the program the other day, I received an error message advising "Cannot find Multimedia device. Check to see if your computer has a sound car, or if the multimedia wave-in component is missing from the sound card."
No new hardware has been added since the last time that I accessed the NaturallySpeaking program so I am not sure what is going on and after a bit of researching the problem, I downloaded the NaturallySpeaking 10.1 upgrade (for W7 support) but got the  same error message.

I then Uninstalled the program and Re-Installed 10.1 but the program starts loading and then stops and I get the same error messages.

I would appreciate your help in advising me what I can do to get NaturallySpeaking 10.1 Standard running again?  
Thank you for your help,

Bob

06/08/2010 03:05 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the KnowBrainer Forums

Unfortunately you haven't filled out your member profile which contains information pertinent to this question such as what type of microphone and soundcard you are using.

If you are using your computers integrated soundcard and receiving this message, you have a Windows issue which has nothing to do with NaturallySpeaking. Simply put, Windows has lost your sound system. However, if you are using a USB soundcard, simply try using a different port. If you're using a desktop computer, make sure that you use a rear USB port and never use a USB hub.

-------------------------

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

06/08/2010 03:37 PM

boblink

Thank you for the prompt reply Lunis, FYI,  I have a Lenovo Desktop system with 3Mb RAM, 1T HDD, an integrated IntelChip set (which I believe provides video support) and W7.

I checked Device Manager and under Sound it lists a Realtek High Definition Audio.  

Is this a Nuance problem, Windows problem, Lenovo system problem,....... and more importantly, what can I do to put humpty dumpty back together again?

Thank you for your help Lunis,

Bob 

06/08/2010 05:47 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
Thank you for the prompt reply Lunis, FYI,  I have a Lenovo Desktop system with 3Mb RAM, 1T HDD, an integrated IntelChip set (which I believe provides video support) and W7.

I checked Device Manager and under Sound it lists a Realtek High Definition Audio. 

Is this a Nuance problem, Windows problem, Lenovo system problem,....... and more importantly, what can I do to put humpty dumpty back together again?

Bob,

Your soundcard may show up in the Device Manager, but that's not where you need to look.

Right-click on the speaker icon in the systray (to the left of the clock on the taskbar).  Select recording devices, and check for the recording device that is selected as the default.  It should list "RealTek High Definition Audio", and that should be selected as your default Recording device.  If it's listed but unselected (i.e., checkmark in green circle), highlight it and click on the "Set Default" button.

Try launching Dragon NaturallySpeaking again and see if it now recognizes your soundcard (media device).

If this doesn't fix your problem, then there might be a problem with your RealTek soundcard drivers.  You may have to reinstall them.  However, my recommendation and I'm sure that KnowBrainer and most everyone else posting on this forum will concur, is to get yourself a USB SoundPod, such as the Buddy USB 6G or the Andrea PureAudio full-duplex or the Andrea half duplex.

Also, you might need to check your microphone and make sure that it's working.  That is, try disconnecting your microphone from the soundcard and reconnecting it.  In addition, you haven't mentioned what microphone you are using.  Lastly, make sure that your microphone is plugged into the right Jack on your soundcard and that you have the microphone RCA plug plugged into the microphone input jack and not the line-in, or accidentally in the speaker input jack.  While I suspect that you might regard this suggestion as a "Duh!" suggestion, but you would be surprised at how many times this has been the problem.  It's easy to make a mistake, particularly if you're constantly moving your system around and/or removing the microphone and plugging it back in.  Nevertheless, try disconnecting the microphone and reconnecting it and see if DNS will launch and recognize your microphone.

Finally, take a look at the following technote from the Nuance support knowledgebase.

http://nuance.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5711/kw/RealTek/p/17/r_id/100023

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC
Home of VoicePower® Ultimate

The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

06/08/2010 07:02 PM

boblink

Problem SOLVED, thank you so much for your help Chuck(er), from best that I can tell it was an "Operator Error", I removed the mic from the jack and replaced it and vola, everything was back to normal so my guess is that the mic was NOT placed in the jack properly.  I would have never thought of checking this without if it wasn't for your suggestions so thank you for helping me figure out the equivalent of "did you plug the device into the electrical cord"

Thanks again for your help Chucker,

Bob 

06/08/2010 10:45 PM

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Glad you got it figured out.  When I was an electrician in the Navy and someone would report an electrical problem, the first thing we would say to them is "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."  And, "if it don't work, plug it in."

It's funny how often those two statements are true or hold true for given situations.  I had a client today who e-mailed me that she had been unable to access her Internet account for two days.  She told me that the reason was that her cleaning person had accidentally unplugged the broadband modem when vacuuming.  Everything else worked, but she simply couldn't go online.  She finally got down on her hands and knees and notice that her modem lights were off.  She plugged the modem in and voilà, everything worked.

Nevertheless, I'm glad that I could be of assistance, but, more importantly, glad you're back up and running.

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC
Home of VoicePower® Ultimate

The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them. - Albert Einstein

Statistics
28504 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 195 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 196 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.