Click by voice commands not working   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/09/2020 10:15 AM  
Keyword
 09/04/2020 06:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Power Member

Hello,

I've just installed the Knnowbrainer 2017 trial. I followed the instructions to run the up date or (I quit Knowbrainer twice, and relaunched it twice before installing the updater).

Then I installed the Click by Voice plug-in in Chrome.

Now I see there are numbers next to all the links in Chrome, but the numbers don't let me do anything. The commands that are listed in the Quickstart document do not work. For example I say "mouse all numbers on" and "mouse all numbers off" but nothing happens. I say "mouse click seven" in order to the link that corresponds to seven on the screen, but nothing happens.

In the Knowbrainer sidebar app, I noticed that there are no commands like "mouse all numbers on" under the "global commands" section. Shouldn't commands like that be displaying in the KnowBrainer app?

Any ideas?

Thank you

-------------------------

Dragon Professional Individual v15.6. Windows 10. Knowbrainer 2017.

09/04/2020 09:27 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Let's begin by verifying you have the latest KnowBrainer release. We suspect you have not yet updated or forgot to relaunch KnowBrainer. If the KnowBrainer sidebar isn't open say Show Global Commands. The 1st global command should look something like <%> KB Build 08-21-2020. If you see something altogether different, close KnowBrainer and rerun the KBCommandsUpdater.

You can verify the KnowBrainer Click by Voice commands by saying Show Application Commands which will display the current Click by Voice commands in Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge (our preference).

PS: The KnowBrainer Type <dictation> command has been upgraded (yet again) and should run about 5 times faster.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

09/04/2020 10:25 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Power Member

Thanks for reply.

I've relaunched KnowBrainer several times since installing.

I checked, and the first global command is indeed KB build 08 – 21 – 2020

when I open Chrome and say "show application commands", the only thing that happens is the KB sidebar flashes on the screen very briefly, like it's being moved to the front layer above the browser, but then going back to its original position. It's almost like when I say "show application commands", that it alt-tabs to the KB sidebar, and then immediately alt–tabs back to the chrome browser.

I'm running Windows 10 and the most recent version of Chrome. 

09/05/2020 09:45 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: wristofdoom the only thing that happens is the KB sidebar flashes on the screen very briefly

While doing this kind of work… Put the KnowBrainer Sidebar on the extreme right (or left) of your monitor, make sure that it is in "Application & Window" mode; make sure that Chrome is NOT maximized, size it in such a way that the KnowBrainer Sidebar is completely visible next to Chrome. Make sure that Chrome is the active window (the best way to be absolutely sure is to minimize it to the taskbar then click on the taskbar icon for Chrome to restore it and make it active). Finally, click the "KB Sidebar" icon on the taskbar which will activate the sidebar which will remember the last active window/application (Chrome). All of the Chrome-specific commands will be displayed; you may scroll through them using the scrollbar or the scroll wheel on your mouse; if you know the first word of the name of the command you are looking for (imagine you have a Chrome-specific command called "Test The Waters") you may say "find command test" and the first command with "test" as its first word will be highlighted; you may also say "press <AnyLetter>" (where <AnyLetter> is replaced by any letter of the alphabet) - the first command which starts with that letter will be highlighted. That highlighted command will almost always be scrolled into view though, very rarely, you might need to scroll slightly to see it.

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Word 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card

09/05/2020 02:17 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Power Member

Thanks, I am now keeping the KB sidebar tool and chrome browser both on my screen at the same time now, with the chrome browser in focus.

When I say show all application commands as Lunis originally suggested, what happens in the KB sidebar is it goes to the "application & window" tab, and the only command in this list is called "test example 1".

Lunis said that saying "show all application commands" in chrome would show the commands available within chrome if the programs/extension were running correctly… But the only response to that command I'm getting is what I have described above, in the KB sidebar. Nothing happens in chrome. So it seems like the programs/extensions are not working correctly.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't just try reinstalling everything? Uninstalling KB sidebar and click my voice, then reinstalling?

Is there any reason why the order of installation of these programs would matter?

Thanks all for your help.

09/05/2020 05:32 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

When you have Google Chrome open and say SHOW Application Commands, you should see 102 commands but even if those commands were missing, rerunning the KBCommandUpdater would remedy that situation.

Is it possible that you're not actually using Google Chrome but rather a different browser with the Chrome engine? If there's a question, try using the default Google Chrome download and see if that helps.

It won't hurt to uninstall/reinstall KnowBrainer and re-run the KB Command Updater but we don't believe it will help. Try opening Microsoft Edge which should also display 102 commands and from a KnowBrainer point of view, works better than Google Chrome.  

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

09/05/2020 08:46 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Power Member

Thank you. I tried what you said, but I'm still having problems here… I'm hoping that I'm just doing something wrong rather than running into a technical issue.

Here's where I'm at:

I've installed the click by voice plug-in into Microsoft edge from the chrome store (crazy how everything can install Chrome plug-ins now). Now, in edge, numbered links show all over the page, which is what I want.

I ran the KB updater again. It actually said there was an update from 8 – 22.

I launched edge and pulled up Knowbrainer sidebar side-by-side. I said "show application commands" and it brought up a list of commands in the Knowbrainer sidebar. So far so good…

But then I bring my focus onto edge, and I say "mouse click two" (as per the Knowbrainer QuickStart guide) in order to click on the number that is shown within edge. 

I would expect the link to get clicked, but instead nothing happened. Everything looks right (I think) except the links don't get clicked.

When I speak the other commands mentioned in the QuickStart guide, like "mouse numbers off" and "mouse numbers on", I also get no response. Basically I have no indication that Click by Voice plug-in is working other than the fact that it displays a bunch of little numbers on the links.

Thanks for your patience with me on this. It looks like you work for Knowbrainer; I want you to know that I intend to purchase the product when my trial runs out, as long as I can get it working properly.

09/05/2020 09:25 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Did you remember to close and restart Microsoft Edge after installing the Click by Voice extension? All extensions work this way but sometimes you even have to re-launch Microsoft Edge twice. We will be back tomorrow. We've got to make certain the Big Haired Lady doesn't consume the entire box of Labor Day Walmart Thunderbird

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

09/06/2020 12:33 AM

jgold55
Top-Tier Member

After installing the latest Knowbrainer command set, should the previous command listed in the Global commands, eg., "<%_2> KB Build 06-24-2020" be deleted or it doesn't matter?

Thanks

HP Pavillion dv7;Windows 10 Home; i7 2670-QM @2.2 GHz; 16GB RAM; DPI 15.3; Knowbrainer 2017; Dragon Capture;  Addasound SR2701

09/06/2020 05:51 AM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: jgold55 After installing the latest Knowbrainer command set, should the previous command listed in the Global commands, eg., "<%_2> KB Build 06-24-2020" be deleted or it doesn't matter?

Thanks

Since Lunis seems to be busy "celebrating" Labor Day (whatever that means in Hillbilly terms), I think I'll chime in as the creator of the command updater utility.

Basically, the "previous", in the sense of former build signature, which is simply the date it is published, should not be around any longer after updating, but also you should not edit or delete the signature because it is a prerequisite within the process of updating.

This question reminds me of a conversation I had with Lunis while we were in the process of designing it.

// snippet

Me: Okay, so we can use the date as a signature to dermine the command file version currently installed on the computer, and compare it to the latest version, the one you keep updating and uploading that is, and if the currently installed version is dated by that comparison, point it out and suggest updating, and automate the whole process. Provided that you stick with the format of the signature, and don't mess up.

But what do we do if users edit or delete the signature on their end?

Lunis: No worries, that won't happen.

// end snippet

Anyway, as I could have sworn that it is going to happen, I set it up so that, if no valid signature is found on the system, it is assumed that you are running a very dated version going back to the time when the signature wasn't even in use, and thus updating to the latest one is suggested.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

09/06/2020 05:48 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Rüdiger nailed it. Your command collection is out of date. The latest version is <%> KB Build 08-22-2020 and as Rüdiger noted, will fix everything. However, the reason why you see the  _2 ect is because you were prompted to import your previous commands. The answer is always No to that question.  

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

09/07/2020 11:06 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Power Member

Hi,

I did relaunch Edge and knowbrainer and Dragon multiple times in various combinations. I also installed KB and no-brainer on edge on a completely different computer .... Still no luck activating the click by voice links with dictation.

But I think I am missing something fundamental here... 

I was looking through the Click by Voice readme, and in the example code they gave for some other dictation software, it looks like you need to write a code/command that will send the keystrokes control + shift + space, which brings up the number input in the Click by Voice plug-in.

How does Click by Voice work with knowbrainer? 

If I dictate "mouse click nine" (which is what the quick start guide says I should say), then based on what I am reading in the click by voice documentation, I would expect KB/Dragon to send the following keystrokes: 

control + shift + space (to activate the click by voice input field in the browser)
9 (indicating that I want to click at the link that is labeled nine within the webpage)
enter (to send the number command through)

but when I look in the commands in the KB sidebar, I don't even see a command that begins with the phrase "mouse click". I'm looking through all the commands, and I don't see any that begin with the phrase "mouse" that look like the format I would expect. Looking through the KB sidebar commands, I would expect to see a command like "mouse click <0to99 >".

Am I missing something here? Do I have to custom create a command like "mouse click <0to99>" in order for this to work with Click by Voice?

Thanks

09/08/2020 03:30 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Forget about the various combinations. You only need to remember to launch Microsoft Edge and other Dragon friendly applications after launching Dragon. As far as your MIA Click by Voice commands are concerned... in order to click on #22 are you saying Mouse Click <22> or Mouse Click <2><2>? #2 is the correct choice. 

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

09/08/2020 04:47 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Power Member

I have been saying "mouse click <2 ><2 >" as per the instructions in the QuickStart guide. To test it out, I have just been focusing on the single digit numbers, for simplicity's sake. See attached screenshot which shows edge and KB sidebar side-by-side.

Edit: here is a link to a video showing exactly what I see. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/llnux7njgdwjki2/2020-09-08%2013-55-54-295%20edge%20and%20click%20by%20voice%20not%20working.mp4?dl=0155

As you can see in the video, KB sidebar correctly selects the commands that I want, and it works for many commands in edge. But the mouseclick commands just do not work or do anything.

screenshot:

09/08/2020 05:46 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Good video. Our best guess is that the command is deploying a little too quickly. You might try increasing the wait time as follows:

Sub Main

Clipboard ListVar1
Wait 0.5
SendKeys"^+."
End Sub

or even

Sub Main

Clipboard ListVar1
Wait 1
SendKeys"^+."
End Sub

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

09/08/2020 07:49 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Power Member

I turned it up to one second, didn't work. I even tried turning it up to two full seconds, But still no joy.

Sub Main
Clipboard ListVar1
Wait 2
SendKeys"^+."
End Sub

I wanted to try creating my own new custom command to see if I can just take care of sending the control, shift, space keys to activate the Click by Voice plug-in.

But I'm a little confused about how this command is supposed to work. I would expect the code to execute in this order:

1. Send the keys control, shift, and space to activate the click by voice plug-in.
2. Then, send the dictated number.

But looking at the actual code of the "mouseclick" command, it seems out of order. It does something with the clipboard first, and then it sends the keys control shift space. I'm assuming that is correct/intentional, and I just don't understand how this command is supposed to work.

09/08/2020 09:03 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We previously used the following script but it was a little slower and we found the Hint box pop-up to be slightly awkward. Try the following original recipe below 

Sub Main
Clipboard ListVar1 Wait 0.2 SendKeys"^+{Spacebar}" End Sub

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

09/08/2020 10:11 PM

Author Icon
wristofdoom
Power Member

All right, well I'm getting closer...

I used the old command that you suggested above. I had to modify the code that you posted above by changing {Spacebar} to {Space}, but then it worked--partially.

It pulls up the "hint" number input from the click by voice plug-in, but it doesn't insert the number. In the below video…

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v8pcaptto7jefag/2020-09-08%20edge%20click%20by%20voice%20KB%20working%20halfway.mp4?dl=0153131131131

… I say "mouse click nine" and the Click by Voice field appears, but the number 9 does not get inserted into the field.

It seems like the command is missing a step. After sending control, shift, space, then don't we also want to send the number value that I uttered? In this case, that would be "nine"

But looking at the code, it seems like the final step of the code is simply to send control, shift, space.

Edit: well I played around with it and I got the command to work by doing the following:

Sub Main

SendKeys"^+{Space}"
Wait 1.2
SendKeys CStr(ListVar1)
Wait 1.2
SendKeys "{Enter}"
End Sub

I deleted the clipboard line entirely (line 2), and it didn't seem to hurt it. I don't understand why the variable is stored in the clipboard in the first place?

I am totally new to this stuff, but the way that the "mouse click < parameters here>" commands are written, I don't understand how they would work at all. 

It seems like by default, these commands are written to copy the dictated number value to the clipboard, and then send control shift space... And that's it. 

Doesn't the dictated number value need to get sent at some point, rather than just get stored in the clipboard?

09/09/2020 10:15 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Try the following which was our prerelease recipe 

Sub Main

SendKeys"^+{Space}"
Wait 1.2
SendKeys ListVar1
Wait 1.2
SendKeys "~"
End Sub

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

Statistics
31783 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 551 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 551 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.