KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: KB -- Replacement for "fill"?
Topic Summary: "Fill" command gone, it seems, but what replaced it?
Created On: 09/02/2020 09:52 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 KB -- Replacement for "fill"?   - Ric - 09/02/2020 09:52 AM  
 KB -- Replacement for "fill"?   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/02/2020 01:59 PM  
 KB -- Replacement for "fill"?   - Ric - 09/02/2020 03:07 PM  
 KB -- Replacement for "fill"?   - Ric - 09/02/2020 03:09 PM  
 KB -- Replacement for "fill"?   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/02/2020 07:08 PM  
 KB -- Replacement for "fill"?   - Ric - 09/03/2020 09:49 AM  
 KB -- Replacement for "fill"?   - Edgar - 09/03/2020 10:21 AM  
 KB -- Replacement for "fill"?   - Ric - 09/04/2020 05:52 AM  
 KB -- Replacement for "fill"?   - Edgar - 09/04/2020 11:17 AM  
 KB -- Replacement for "fill"?   - Lunis Orcutt - 09/03/2020 01:34 PM  
 KB -- Replacement for "fill"?   - Ric - 09/04/2020 05:58 AM  
Keyword
 09/02/2020 09:52 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ric
Advanced Member

I apologize if this is already been asked and answered, but I didn't see it on the forum, so:

After recently updating KB to its most recent version (8-13-2020), I'm seeing that one of the commands I use heavily — "fill" — appears to have been removed. Is there a different command now that does the same thing? I have discovered "type" but it's not quite the same thing, and it moves to the end of a paragraph, which "fill" did not do. I'm hoping there's a way to still do the "fill" thing, so that the cursor stays put to where I just finished typing.

Thanks.  

-------------------------

Ric M

09/02/2020 01:59 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You will find Fill <1to100> and Fill <1to100> <dictation> when you open the KnowBrainer global commands and press the letter “F” or say Find Global Command <fill>.   

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

09/02/2020 03:07 PM

Author Icon
Ric
Advanced Member

It doesn't appear to be working. I actually took a wild guess and tried "fill" earlier (I'm defining it as "wild guess" because I recall "fill" once being in kb, and then removed sometime last fall), but it actually just spelled out the word: "fill now is the time for all good men..."   

Ric M

09/02/2020 03:09 PM

Author Icon
Ric
Advanced Member

Okay, this is interesting. I just tried what you suggested: "find global command fill" and there is none. Wondering if maybe I accidentally deleted it?? Is there a way to get it back without having to start over with the KB update? Like, for instance, does it keep a record of deleted commands, or is it easy enough for a non-techie guy to reenter the code that I've appear to have deleted?

Ric M

09/02/2020 07:08 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Check your email for the Fill <1to100> <dictation> command and just leave off the last part to replace your MIA Fill <1to100> command. We would be surprised if any command utility remembers deletions. Your other option would be to run your KBCommandsUpdater which is much faster but would overwrite your existing commands.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

09/03/2020 09:49 AM

Author Icon
Ric
Advanced Member

Thanks. Got the email, but followed your advice to run KBCommandsUpdater.  But I am now wondering if you may have misunderstood my request. Either that or I am not understanding how to use that particular "fill" command.  

Here's why:

1. Both Fill <1to100> and Fill <1to100> <dictation> appear to serve a different function than the one I'm trying to do, which is to insert words into an application or web form that does not accept simple DNS dictation. 

2.  The KB manual shows both of those Fill commands being related to templates/bookmarks, not to perform the function of inserting text into a document or application or website.  (See my screen capture attached.)

Say, for example, I wanted to get the words "let's go" into a Google doc (a good example of an app that doesn't play well with Dragon). If I speak "fill let's go", it doesn't insert "let's go" but rather inserts "fill let's go" or " Phil let's go".  

So, am I misunderstanding how to speak the Fill <1to100> commands, or are you and I talking about completely different things?  To summarize, my goal is to find the right kb fill/insert command to insert words without capitalizing the first word and without moving the cursor to a different place. 

Ric M

09/03/2020 10:21 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Personally, I call the command "Inject <dictation>" because I use "fill" too often and it conflicts.

Sub Main
   Dim holdString As String
   holdString = ListVar1
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "(", "{(}")
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "open paren", "{(}")
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "left paren", "{(}")
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "{", "{{}")
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "open curly brace", "{{}")
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "left curly brace", "{{}")
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "[", "{[}")
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "open square bracket", "{[}")
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "left square bracket", "{[}")
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "<", "{<}")
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "open angle bracket", "{<}")
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "left angle bracket", "{<}")
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "\", "{\}")
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "back /", "{\}")
   holdString = Replace (holdString, "back slash", "{\}")
   SendKeys holdString, 1
   Clipboard (holdString)
End Sub

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

09/04/2020 05:52 AM

Author Icon
Ric
Advanced Member

Edgar: this string looks intriguing and holds promise. However, having never created a command, I'll have to do some more homework on how to do this one. There were steps in trying to create it that I didn't understand, and it ultimately didn't work. on my list of new things to learn. Thanks

Ric M

09/04/2020 11:17 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Ric   having never created a command

I suspect that Lunis has a boilerplate set of steps for this, but… All you have to do is say "add global command" and KnowBrainer will do all the hard work! You will be asked to name the command and will say something like "cap inject left angle bracket " which will end up looking like:

Inject <

and again KnowBrainer will just do (almost) the right thing and open the KnowBrainer List Form (list manager). Unfortunately, it forgets to insert the “<” would all you need to do is say "left angle bracket dictation right angle bracket", take a breath and then say "click okay".

The KnowBrainer Command Editor already has the first and last lines:

Sub Main

End Sub

all you need to do is copy and paste everything between.

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Office 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card with 3 1920x1080 monitors

09/03/2020 01:34 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Sorry about the confusion. Here is how Type <dictation> works:

1. If you place your cursor in an empty position (don't highlight a word), in a non-Dragon friendly environment, Type <dictation> will type whatever you dictate, capitalize the 1st word and move the cursor to the end of the paragraph (the part you probably don't like). This command is designed more for correcting and editing than straight dictation.

2. If you highlight a word or phrase, Type <dictation> will study the formatting and spacing before depositing your text. Example: If you select the word “brown” in the phrase “the brown fox” and say Type <red>, proper spacing and lowercase formatting will be employed but if the word “Brown” appears capitalize, Type <red>, will capitalize the word “Red”. This is why we refer to this command as having artificial intelligence.

3. The Print <dictation> command is probably what you're looking for and does not move the cursor to the end of the paragraph (anticipate your next move). Print <dictation> isn't designed for editing/correcting. It is designed for straight Dumb Dictation. It begins each dictation in lowercase, at the cursor insertion point but leaves an extra space after the last word so that you can continue. If you need the 1st word or any other word capitalized, use Dragon's Cap (action) vocabulary command which allows you to capitalize without pausing. For example, if you say Print <whatever> it will produce “whatever” but if you say Print <cap whatever>, it will type “Whatever”.

Of course having to dictate the word “Print” before every phrase can be inconvenient if you have to dictate more than a short paragraph. DragonCapture is preferred for general dictation and doesn't require a trigger command. When combined with the KnowBrainer Type <dictation> command you have the perfect dictation and correction/editing tool. Unfortunately, there is a fly in the proverbial ointment. The only way DragonCapture can be used in a Dragon friendly browser is if you disable the Dragon extension followed by closing and relaunching your browser. Of course you will have to ask yourself if being able to dictate into Google docs, without a trigger command, is worth the sacrifice of Active Accessibility and supported dictation in other fields; like this forum. Your other option would be to cut and paste from another app or SP Pro. KnowBrainer also includes a legacy option where you can say something like Notepad <my dog has fleas> which will simultaneously open Notepad and type “My dog has fleas”. When you have finished, say Transfer.  PS: We used DragonCapture and the Type <dictation> command for this entire post because we do not have Select-&-Say in this Reply field

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

09/04/2020 05:58 AM

Author Icon
Ric
Advanced Member

Lunis: Actually, that "Print" command is exactly what I was looking for, thank you! I'm editing someone else's manuscript in Google docs, and so I need to frequently stick a piece of text into one spot or another, and that is precisely what "print" seems to do. Thanks.

That said, I'll follow your suggestion of investigating the other options of DragonCapture and SP Pro to see if one of those might work even better for me.  The Notepad alternative sounds a bit onerous for my purposes, and it sounds as though Notepad command performs a similar duty to what "Open Dictation Box" already does, and does well.

Ric M

Statistics
31794 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 659 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 660 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.