KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook
Topic Summary: "find" keeps deleting my message content while creating it :(
Created On: 08/06/2020 12:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Ric - 08/06/2020 12:46 PM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/07/2020 01:31 AM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Mphillipson - 08/07/2020 03:46 AM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/08/2020 04:10 PM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Ric - 08/09/2020 10:01 AM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/09/2020 12:48 PM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Twisted_Code - 08/12/2020 10:22 AM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Ric - 08/12/2020 07:21 PM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - dicdoc - 08/20/2020 01:01 AM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Tiger Feet - 08/08/2020 11:02 AM  
 I need to kill   - Ric - 08/09/2020 01:07 PM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/09/2020 04:42 PM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Twisted_Code - 08/12/2020 10:29 AM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Edgar - 08/12/2020 11:52 AM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Twisted_Code - 08/12/2020 12:30 PM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Edgar - 08/13/2020 10:37 AM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Twisted_Code - 08/14/2020 10:26 AM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/14/2020 09:10 PM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - dicdoc - 08/20/2020 01:06 AM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/20/2020 12:33 PM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Ric - 08/12/2020 07:18 PM  
 I need to kill "find" because it's killing my Microsoft outlook   - Lunis Orcutt - 08/13/2020 02:04 AM  
Keyword
 08/06/2020 12:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ric
Advanced Member

Honestly, I'm not even sure whether this is a Knowbrainer problem or a DNS problem. I've tried to eliminate absolutely every occurrence of the command "find" from all menus in the KB thingy, but I keep having entire email message content deleted while I'm creating it because I dared to do the very natural thing of sometimes starting a phrase with the word "find" such as trying to add "find that it works better if I wait until midweek" to what I had already typed, such as "I could do it on Monday, but I" ...

several times a week this happens to me, resulting in extreme frustration, as I have to then completely re-create the email message because (1) the actions of "find" delete everything that was in it and (2) saying "undo" or control-z'ing it does nothing for some odd reason.

Since I never intentionally use "find" with either DNS or DNS with KB, I'd like to just kill the whole damn "fine" functionality. Any suggestions on how I can go about that?  

-------------------------

Ric M

08/07/2020 01:31 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

No need to beat yourself up. The Find command you are looking for is Outlook application-specific. The easiest way to locate a KnowBrainer application-specific problem command is to place your cursor inside of Outlook and say Find Application Command <dictation>. The process takes under a second. You will correct about this potential problem command. In our case, it only center our text but before you delete this command, we recommend running your KBCommandsUpdater to obtain the latest commands which hopefully include a fix for your problem.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/07/2020 03:46 AM

Author Icon
Mphillipson
Top-Tier Member

08/08/2020 04:10 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Mphillipson

This is what I have:

Let's try another approach: If KnowBrainer turns out to be the culprit, place your cursor in the Outlook Application Window, you are experiencing the problem in and say Edit Application Command <find> which will locate an open Find command that you cannot otherwise locate. Keep in mind that while KnowBrainer includes a lot of commands (75% of which we are planning on eliminating) you never have to scroll because KnowBrainer gives you direct access to every Global, Application & Window specific command.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/09/2020 10:01 AM

Author Icon
Ric
Advanced Member

Terrific and valuable input, everyone, thank you! I found the culprit, the one that I find myself accidentally invoking occasionally: "Microsoft Outlook – find and replace." (See attached) I'm about 99% sure that that is the one I have been running up against in Outlook. Thanks!

I'm amazed by the KB lightning-fast wizardry! I'm going to want to play around with that "Find Application Command <dictation>" which I have not previously been familiar with. looks like it will come in handy from time to time. likewise for the "Edit Application Command <find>" which should save lots of time when I want to edit one

Tiger Feet:Thanks. That's a simple way of deducing that had not crossed my mind (for reasons unknown!). I'll add that wrench to my toolbox for future use. :-)

Lunis: Before you eliminate 75% of the commands, any chance you will give us advance notice on which ones are being sunsetteed? I know software development is not a democracy, but there are certain KB commands that I use so frequently it would be hard to imagine doing voice recognition without them. Admittedly, I probably use less than 10% of the KB commands, but those 10% are powerful medicine.

find & replace.jpg
find & replace.jpg  (36 KB)

Ric M

08/09/2020 12:48 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We believe it would make more sense for you to give us a list of your important commands. We would also appreciate it if everyone takes advantage of creating their own list. You should have plenty of time because even though I am working until midnight 365 the project should still take a few weeks. Unfortunately, I do a good deal of the development when I'm trying to sleep. I woke up to 10 Sticky Notes; 3 of which I remember.

Note that VerbalBasic II is going so well that we have canceled Dragon VB lite in favor of Dragon VB full Monty. We are going to throw everything we have at Dragon 1st, including commands like Heard 3 Words <new sticky note> to produce HeardWord "New","Sticky","Note" with the usual automatic wait time. You will also be able to change your mind or redo anything no matter where your cursor is; including descriptions, names, groups and application names. You'll even be able to create lists with a single command like List Dictation to create <dictation>. However, Text & Graphics boilerplate text commands are also receiving a major facelift from copying text to free range dictation (with the same command). As much fun as scripts are, Text & Graphics commands are #1 with most end-users.

PS: Some of you may be wondering if DPI 15 can handle much more than simple scripts. While the current DPI 15 SAX scripting engine is trash, the new DPI 15.6 WinWrap Basic engine should be able anything you throw at it. Best of all, every Dragon Advanced Scripting command will include multiple lines of code and in some cases, you will be able to create up to 10 lines of script with a single WYSWYS (What You See Is What You Say) command, in less that a second. Writing commands might just be more fun than using them but SIMPLE command construction is still the main focus and there will be videos but they may not come out until KnowBrainer 2021 is released.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/12/2020 10:22 AM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code

I don't know how relevant this is, especially if you are ONLY having problems with "find and replace" (my issues happened regardless of what I dictated), but have you tried disabling Outlook's Dragon add-in? I lost a lot of email drafts to Outlook crashing until I eventually went into Outlook's settings and disabled the Dragon extension.
You are using Outlook 365 (not some standalone version of Outlook), right? If so, I could walk you through disabling that, if you're still having problems even after disabling "find & replace"

"Don't argue with people who write with digital ink and pay by the kilowatt-hour." ~ Martin Golding

"Sometimes it pays to stay in bed on Monday, rather than spending the rest of the week debugging Monday's code" ~ Dan Salomon

“Talk is cheap. Show me the code.” ~ Linus Travalds

08/12/2020 07:21 PM

Author Icon
Ric
Advanced Member

Thanks for your input, Twisted Code.  To answer your question: It's not just a problem with the "find and replace" command, but that's the command that seems to do the most damage LOL.

Thing is, I actually do like a lot of the outlook DragonSupport stuff. So I'm not sure want to disable that completely.

Ric M

08/20/2020 01:01 AM

Author Icon
dicdoc
Top-Tier Member

Phil, which program do you use in order to filter and see your commands like this ?

Memory: 16GB Microphone Brand and Model: LFH 4000 & Flexy Mike  Operating System: win 10, latest update; Surface Book 2, Processor (CPU) Type & Speed: I7 8650 Soundcard Brand and Model: none Speech Software: Dragon Medical Practice Edition, french version: 4.2 Using KnowBrainer?:Yes

08/08/2020 11:02 AM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

Ric,

Try this little experiment.

When everything has loaded up on your computer, rightl click on the, KnowBrainer icon in the notification area on the taskbar. If you can't see it, you may have to click the little, white arrow pointing upwards to see if it is there.

Once you have right clicked on it, click on 'Exit.'

Now try to do what you originally was trying to do without KnowBrainer running. I have sneaky feeling that this may be the culprit.  If it works without KnowBrainer running, then, do what Lunis has suggested and update the commands updater.

Cheers

Tiger Feet

| DPI 15.3 | KnowBrainer 2017 | Windows  10 Professional /64 Bit | Intel Core i7 Quad Core 3840QM (2.80GHz) 8MB | 16GB RAM. | 240GB Intel 520 Series SSD Boot Drive | 750GB 7200 rpm Secondary Drive  | Sennheiser D10-USB Wireless. |

08/09/2020 01:07 PM

Author Icon
Ric
Advanced Member

Thanks for the wealth of information in that last post, Lunis. Some thoughts and questions:

1. A suggestion: Have you considered doing a post dedicated to the topic of "give us a list of your important commands"? It might make for more comprehensive input to help you in your next-version planning.

2. Question: When running the KB Command Updater, does it affect any commands that I've got in a disabled state? I'm wondering if I need to take a screen capture first if I'll have to rebuild my list of disabled items after the updating.

Thanks.

Ric M

08/09/2020 04:42 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

1. You already have it. The KnowBrainer Quickstart includes what we believe to be the top 40 commands. If the top 40 is a little over-the-top, you'll find a link, in the introduction, that will take you to the top 10 (at the end of the document) and there is even a top 3. Note that the top 40 will not include any mention of VerbalBasic, other than a link to the VerbalBasic manual which will begin with Beginners and move on to more advanced. We are also planning on adding hyperlinks to lots of very short video demonstrations of KnowBrainer commands.

2. The functionality of the KB Command Updater is explained with the accompanying instructions. The short answer is if you wish to preserve your KnowBrainer commands, you will need to export and import them. This process is a little tedious so we are currently recommending building your commands in Dragon. This is 1 of the reasons we are working on Dragon VB II. It will soon be just as easy to create commands in Dragon as KnowBrainer. When Ver. 15.6 is released, your personal commands will even work

PS: KnowBrainer 2021 will work like Microsoft 365's automatic update, and preserve your personal commands.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/12/2020 10:29 AM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code

Speaking of command management, is there a way to export/import SPECIFIC commands, without having to open the command XML file? I tried opening it one time to pull out my most-used custom commands so I could back them up separate from "your" commands. However, the file is so large (at least by text file standards) that it actually caused Notepad++ to freeze —if only momentarily— when opening it initially and every time I tried to use "find" to search for my commands.

"Don't argue with people who write with digital ink and pay by the kilowatt-hour." ~ Martin Golding

"Sometimes it pays to stay in bed on Monday, rather than spending the rest of the week debugging Monday's code" ~ Dan Salomon

08/12/2020 11:52 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Twisted_Code  is there a way to export/import SPECIFIC commands […] that it actually caused Notepad++ to freeze

I use PSPad (free programmer’s text editor, in constant development) on my HUGE commands file. My machine is quick and there is no delay opening or searching the file. PSPad has some useful tools which help manage my commands.

One thing to be aware of, the current version of KnowBrainer, there is a folder:

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\KnowBrainer\KnowBrainerCommands\AutomaticBackups

which contains every fifth version of your command file that is ever been created (every time KnowBrainer makes a change - add or edit a command; the most recent in my folder is number 2370). If you look at the very first one is the file originally installed by KnowBrainer - it almost certainly contains NO personally created commands but it might contain original commands which you have edited to be more to your liking.

PSPad allows you to create a search term and then list all the lines containing said term - this list goes to a "log" window; there is a button to promote the contents of said window to a text file. Without going into all the details here is a part of a script:   

Select Case ListVar1

Case "Empty Groups"
         SendKeys "group={""}{""}", 1
      Case "Scopes"
         SendKeys "<Commands scope={""}", 1
      Case "Global Scopes"
         SendKeys "<Commands scope={""}Global", 1
      Case "Application Scopes"
         SendKeys "<Commands scope={""}Application", 1
      Case "Commands"
         SendKeys "<Command name={""}", 1
      Case "Zotz Commands"
         SendKeys "<Command name={""}Zotz", 1
      Case "Lists"
         SendKeys "<List name={""}", 1
      Case "Auto"
         SendKeys "AutoIt", 1
      Case Else
   End Select

so, if I want a list of all the Global commands I just say "list global commands", if I want ALL commands I just say "list commands", if I want a list of all the list I just say "list lists". A standalone script to list just specific application commands is probably possible.

Since the commands provided by Lunis have either no Group identifier or (more recently) have a group identifier of "KnowBrainer", before I ever added a personal command or edited a KnowBrainer command, I changed all of the empty Group identifiers to "KnowBrainer". Thereafter, every time I create a command or edit a command it's group identifier will be empty and I occasionally go through my commands file and change all empty Group identifiers to "Edgar". This way I can easily distinguish between default KnowBrainer command and commands I have created/edited.

Some or all of this may be subject to change when a new version of KnowBrainer (not just KnowBrainer commands) is released!

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Word 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card

08/12/2020 12:30 PM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code

Originally posted by: Edgar
Originally posted by: Twisted_Code  is there a way to export/import SPECIFIC commands […] that it actually caused Notepad++ to freeze

I use PSPad (free programmer’s text editor, in constant development) on my HUGE commands file. [...] Some or all of this may be subject to change when a new version of KnowBrainer (not just KnowBrainer commands) is released!

I'll check that out. I think I might be able to use WinMerge (my preferred mergetool) to compare the oldest back up with my current file in order to extract my modifications VERY easily. Didn't even think to check the backups till you said that. Thanks!

As for the text editor you mentioned... I'll have to check that out. While I absolutely love Notepad++ when it works, I've noticed it seems to have performance issues with large files (not just this). Probably because of all the features and overhead from those features... so it wouldn't hurt to have a second text editor as a backup for such occasions

Out of curiosity, what (exact) version of KB and Dragon are you using? I don't know if you saw (edit: nevermind, you replied) the other thread I have been active in recently (one I started), but I've been having issues trying to get quotation marks to "escape" and I notice the syntax in your script differs from what was (sort of) working for me. It may be inconsequential, but I'm trying to figure out the differences between recent/semi-recent versions of KB.

08/13/2020 10:37 AM

Author Icon
Edgar
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Twisted_CodeOut of curiosity, what (exact) version of KB and Dragon are you using?

According to the KnowBrainer "About"… KnowBrainer Professional 2017, version 4.00.040.

According to the Dragon "About"… Dragon Professional Individual 15.3, version 15.30.000.006.

Windows 10 Pro, version 1803 (I had such bad results with 1904 I reverted and have never upgraded since).

-Edgar
DPI 15.3, 64-bit Windows 10 Pro, OpenOffice & Word 365, Norton Security, Shure X2U XLR to USB mic adapter with Audio Technica DB135 vocal mic, Asus X299-Deluxe Prime, Intel Core i9-7940X (14 core, 4.3 GHz overclocked to 4.9 GHz), G.SKILL TridentZ Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3333 (PC4 26600) F4-3333C16Q-64GTZ, NVIDIA GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 GV-N1060G1 GAMING-6GD REV 2.0 6GB graphics card

08/14/2020 10:26 AM

Author Icon
Twisted_Code

Originally posted by: Edgar
Originally posted by: Twisted_CodeOut of curiosity, what (exact) version of KB and Dragon are you using?

According to the KnowBrainer "About"… KnowBrainer Professional 2017, version 4.00.040.

According to the Dragon "About"… Dragon Professional Individual 15.3, version 15.30.000.006.

Windows 10 Pro, version 1803 (I had such bad results with 1904 I reverted and have never upgraded since).

thanks.

apparently I'm a few builds behind you on KB. I have 4.00.035. I'll have to look into that.

As for Dragon, I have Dragon NaturallySpeaking premium Version 13.00.000.071. Super out of date compared to you, but I'm too cheap to update to 15 QUITE yet. Maybe in a few months or something comes up to require it?

08/14/2020 09:10 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Forget about checking the KnowBrainer Help menu because it has never changed and never will. The details are in the Build numbers. KnowBrainer is updated nearly every day because instead of holding back on command technology for KnowBrainer 2021, you can update to the latest commands nearly every day. You're not updating to KnowBrainer 2021 but you can have the KnowBrainer 2021 commands in advance. You can identify the latest KnowBrainer Build by looking at the 1st global command. The 1st command is currently <%>KB Build 08-03-2020. We keep a few days out of date so that will have space to upload, screw up and re-upload. Build 08-03-2020 was uploaded 20 minutes ago with a bulletproof rewrite of the global Maximize, Minimize, and Restore commands. We deliver faster than Domino's pizza or Amazon's drone delivery.

If you don't hurry up and purchase DPI 15.3 you'll be stuck purchasing Ver. 15.6. Just kidding, it will be a free update for all Ver. 15 users and the latest free KnowBrainer update is already making Premium 13 look a little anemic because you can now create VB commands directly in all professional versions of Dragon (not premium) with the new WYSWYS (What You See Is What You Say) VB II which is even simpler than Dragon step by step commands which are far more limited, 20 times slower and run completely hands-free. We are somewhat proud of the new technology because KnowBrainer wouldn't even exist if it were not for our personal goal to not only make your computer hands-free but to additionally make it so that you could hands-free customize nearly any computer function. VB II was released without editing commands 48 hours ago. The editing commands will be finished this weekend and all we have left will be the VerbalBasic manuals. Basic VerbalBasic II should be fairly easy to write because all of the details can be compressed into a single sentence but we might include a picture too

Note that we have undoubtably made some VB II mistakes so feedback will be very important.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/20/2020 01:06 AM

Author Icon
dicdoc
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: Lunis Orcutt Forget about checking the KnowBrainer Help menu because it has never changed and never will. The details are in the Build numbers. KnowBrainer is updated nearly every day because instead of holding back on command technology for KnowBrainer 2021, you can update to the latest commands nearly every day. You're not updating to KnowBrainer 2021 but you can have the KnowBrainer 2021 commands in advance. You can identify the latest KnowBrainer Build by looking at the 1st global command. The 1st command is currently <%>KB Build 08-03-2020. We keep a few days out of date so that will have space to upload, screw up and re-upload. Build 08-03-2020 was uploaded 20 minutes ago with a bulletproof rewrite of the global Maximize, Minimize, and Restore commands. We deliver faster than Domino's pizza or Amazon's drone delivery.

Lunis, how can we update as you mention ?

Memory: 16GB Microphone Brand and Model: LFH 4000 & Flexy Mike  Operating System: win 10, latest update; Surface Book 2, Processor (CPU) Type & Speed: I7 8650 Soundcard Brand and Model: none Speech Software: Dragon Medical Practice Edition, french version: 4.2 Using KnowBrainer?:Yes

08/20/2020 12:33 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Download and install the KBCommandsUpdater. When ever you suspect a update, double-click the KB Command Updater shortcut on your desktop. It will give you all the information you need in under 3 seconds. The next update will take longer than usual because we have temporarily removed all Dragon VB II commands, but not in the current download, to be reengineered for KnowBrainer 1st and Dragon 2nd.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

08/12/2020 07:18 PM

Author Icon
Ric
Advanced Member

Sorry, Lunis: I did read the instructions, but the description threw me: "If you want to download/import the latest KnowBrainer command set and keep your existing commands..." This instruction implies that I am creating my own commands, which I've never done. The only thing I've done is disabled a bunch. Does that equate to what you were referring to as my "personal commands"?

FYI, I love that idea of having hyperlinks to short video demos!

Ric M

08/13/2020 02:04 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You are not referring to personal commands but editing commands can which be a little more tricky. We recommend upgrading KnowBrainer (especially after today), tweaking those problematic commands and waiting for the next update which will be known as the great command purge. We will probably remove 50% of the current KnowBrainer commands, for lack of interest or occasional misfires. Because of today's release of VB II, if we remove a command you like, you can easily re-create it in a few seconds with WYSWYS (What You See Is What You Say) VB and you even have the option of writing your commands in Dragon so that you don't have to worry about them being overwritten. In the past, KnowBrainer has only supported verbally creating commands in KnowBrainer but now the same support is also available for Dragon. You will find additional Dragon Command Browser commands and in most cases, AI has been incorporated throughout nearly everything. 

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

Statistics
31740 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 583 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 584 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.