KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: DNS & toolbar button options
Topic Summary: Is there a command for selecting toolbar button options, most commonly in Microsoft Word for changing bullet, numbering, or highlight styles
Created On: 05/01/2012 02:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 DNS & toolbar button options   - Hands-Free - 05/01/2012 02:29 PM  
 DNS & toolbar button options   - Lunis Orcutt - 05/01/2012 08:09 PM  
 DNS & toolbar button options   - Chucker - 05/01/2012 08:41 PM  
 DNS & toolbar button options   - Hands-Free - 05/01/2012 09:25 PM  
 DNS & toolbar button options   - Lunis Orcutt - 05/02/2012 03:07 PM  
 DNS & toolbar button options   - Hands-Free - 05/02/2012 05:41 PM  
 DNS & toolbar button options   - Lunis Orcutt - 05/21/2012 01:24 PM  
Keyword
 05/01/2012 02:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Hands-Free

Some of the toolbar buttons on various applications have a small arrow next to them for choosing options.  For example, in Microsoft word you have to select this little arrow next to the highlight color in order to change the highlight from yellow to blue.  If I say "text highlight color" it will highlight the selected text to the current highlight color.  Is there a command for choosing the little arrow for changing the highlight color?  Similarly for other toolbar button options?  Right now I just use the MouseGrid to select the little arrow and I am hoping for a more graceful method.

Darren

05/01/2012 08:09 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Both NaturallySpeaking and KnowBrainer include a number of shading/highlighting commands but unfortunately, none of our NaturallySpeaking 11.5 Pro highlighting commands are working although these commands worked well in Ver. 10. However, there is 1 KnowBrainer command that should work. Try selecting a few words, from within a Microsoft Word document and saying Highlight Yellow.

-------------------------

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

05/01/2012 08:41 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
Some of the toolbar buttons on various applications have a small arrow next to them for choosing options. For example, in Microsoft word you have to select this little arrow next to the highlight color in order to change the highlight from yellow to blue. If I say "text highlight color" it will highlight the selected text to the current highlight color. Is there a command for choosing the little arrow for changing the highlight color? Similarly for other toolbar button options? Right now I just use the MouseGrid to select the little arrow and I am hoping for a more graceful method.

Darren,

All of the toolbar buttons in Microsoft Word or fully Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA) by voice command using keystrokes (hotkeys).

All you need to know is the hot key for a particular Ribbon bar. This works for Microsoft 2007 and 2010. For example, the hot key for the Home Ribbon bar is Alt+h. For the Insert Ribbon bar it is Alt+n, etc., etc. through all of the Ribbon bar tabs. In the example that you gave if you press Alt+h, it will give you all of the hotkeys for any of the toolbar buttons on the Home Ribbon bar. From that point forward, all you have to do is to select the appropriate hotkey for the item that you want to open. For example, to get the highlight color drop-down dialog you simply say "press Alt+h" followed by "press i".

Once you see how this works, you can do this for any of the Ribbon bars using the appropriate keystrokes in an Advanced Scripting command. Just keep in mind that it is best to separate the "SendKeys" commands when using Windows 7 and put a short wait state in between each one. If you're not sure how to do this, just ask.

In addition, just to use the text highlight option, once you get to that dialog there are additional hotkeys, but you can select any color by voice by simply mousing over the color that you want and noting the command that you can say for that color. For example, if you want to highlight the text in dark blue, once the highlight dialog is open, you simply say "dark blue".

Takes a little bit of getting used to but you can access any of the toolbar buttons in Microsoft Word this way. You can also do the same in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint.

Let us know if you have any difficulty with this.

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC
Home of VoicePower®: We don't make Dragon NaturallySpeaking, We make it better!

"What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you." - Anthony de Mello

05/01/2012 09:25 PM

Author Icon
Hands-Free

Thanks, Chucker.  This should do the trick.  The answer seems obvious now.  If it had of been a snake, I could have but it.  ;-)

Darren
 05/02/2012 03:07 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We've been testing some of the KnowBrainer Highlight <Color> commands and although they're not working on our main computer, they appear to be working on our other computers so we need to rewrite our previous answer. Since you are using KnowBrainer 2011, if you wish to highlight selected text in Microsoft Word or Outlook you can just say Highlight Yellow, Highlight Red, Highlight Green, Highlight Gray, Highlight Aqua or Highlight Blue. Forget about having to use mouse coordinates or hotkeys. You can also use these previous commands to highlight anything with the previous choices and return the cursor to the end of the current paragraph. For example, if you wish to highlight text in Red, within Microsoft Word or Outlook, say Highlight Yellow Back.

05/02/2012 05:41 PM

Author Icon
Hands-Free

You're right!  These commands work great.  But, when I look for them in the KnowBrainer list of scripts I can't find anything beginning with "highlight."  Where are these precious little scripts?
 05/21/2012 01:24 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

You will find the Highlight <color> commands when you say or Edit Word Commands followed by saying Highlight. You will also find this listing command in your Outlook command collection but while we're on the subject, click KB 2011 to download REV E which was released yesterday. Just use your existing serial number to install but note that if you written any personal commands that you wish to preserve, the update will overwrite them.

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » KnowBrainer Software and Support » DNS & toolbar button options

Statistics
28435 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 77 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 80 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.