KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Disconnected window
Topic Summary: Some applications seem to require a positive "mouse click" command to engage pointer or cursor
Created On: 04/12/2012 03:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Disconnected window   - artsilen - 04/12/2012 03:35 PM  
 Disconnected window   - Chucker - 04/13/2012 08:02 AM  
 Disconnected window   - artsilen - 04/13/2012 01:35 PM  
Keyword
 04/12/2012 03:35 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
artsilen
Top-Tier Member

I have to do a lot of work in Adobe Acrobat, and getting work done can be something of a chore. I suspect it has to do something with the graphic nature of the program, but menu command seemed to work intermittently, and sometimes not at all. Other times, I need to do a separate "mouseclick" command after printing a document or perform some other operation. Otherwise, a succeeding command will have no effect at all. Also, the processing lag time within Acrobat appears to be substantially longer than in, say, Microsoft Word. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

-------------------------

Art Silen

artsilen@sbcglobal.net

"Question assumptions"

DSN 11.5, running on Win7;Intel Core i7 CPU 970 @3.20 GHz; System Memory 12 GB; Graphic AMD Radcon HD6570; System Board 2A861.04E01; System Bios 6.15

04/13/2012 08:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Chucker
Top-Tier Member

Art,

First, on which system are you having the problem?

Second, what version of Adobe Acrobat are you using?

Adobe Acrobat does not support Full Text Control (Select and Say), but it does support Active Accessibility (menu and dialog controls – Microsoft Active Accessibility (MSAA)). Regardless of the version of Adobe Acrobat that you're using or the version of DNS, you should have no problem accessing any of the Acrobat menus or dialog controls. I use Adobe Acrobat X Pro Suite with both DNS 10.1 Medical and DNS 11.5 Professional and have no problems with Active Accessibility. In fact, I never have. However, while you can dictate into any text field or window in Adobe Acrobat, or even into form fields, you are still dictating into a nonstandard windows and won't have full text control. Even so, it is generally fairly easy, in most cases, to dictate and correct if you follow the guidelines and the limitations when Full Text Control (Select and Say) is not supported.

As far as performance is concerned, I have never had a problem with performance issues using Dragon NaturallySpeaking, and currently don't have any with regard to DNS 10.1 Medical or DNS 11.5 Professional. My guess is that any problems with performance are Acrobat related, not DNS related. Can you provide a little more detail on where you are experiencing performance issues and under what conditions when using Adobe Acrobat. Note that there are still remaining latency issues relative to DNS 11.5, but I don't experience these with Adobe Acrobat X, only under some general conditions that are not application related.

Also, since I know that you're using VoicePower, VoicePower has some Adobe Acrobat reader specific commands, but, in general, VoicePower does not create any performance issues when working in Adobe Acrobat.

Chuck Runquist
Technical Project Manager
VoiceTeach LLC
Home of VoicePower®: We don't make Dragon NaturallySpeaking, We make it better!

"What you are aware of you are in control of; what you are not aware of is in control of you." - Anthony de Mello

04/13/2012 01:35 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
artsilen
Top-Tier Member

Good morning, Chuck.

My office is using Acrobat 9. DNS/KnowBrainer work after a fashion. Some commands seem to work better than others. The closest analogy I can come to describe what occurs was when I was driving an old Jeep that had a stick shift, manual transmission, and no synchromesh. Every time I changed gears, I had to double-clutch. This is the way Acrobat behaves. I give the command to print, the print module appears (after some delay), the little"I-am-printing" balloon appears in the lower right-hand quadrant of the screen; but there the action freezes until I either manually do a mouse click or give the mouse click command.

Menu commands seem to be idiosyncratic; I can insert a header using voice commands alone, but deleting or replacing pages by voice command alone, no way. The workaround is to use the KnowBrainer up/down command. If I say, "Down seven", the highlighted bar drops one line, maybe two.

Other standard commands are problematic as well; the Tab command sticks, and the program wants to interpret the sound wave as reading "Cap". I frequently cannot do tabular multiples, with two notable exceptions in the header and a document optimization modules. Other commands work intermittently.

I'm doing this stuff 7 to 9 hours per day, five days a week, and so there has to be a great deal of algorithmic consistency in my dictation patterns. What I have been dictating over the past 10 minutes or so has seen maybe three or four transcription errors that most likely resulted from my slurring words or hesitation while speaking.

Here at work I don't have the advantage of using VoicePower. Pity!

Summing up, in Acrobat, KnowBrainer goes from being a greyhound to being a mule. That said, I can't fault KnowBrainer or DNS. Inferentially, my gut tells me that the problem has more to do with the graphic nature of Acrobat in ways that are different from wordprocessing packages, such as MS Word, Notepad, or DragonPad. I'm now wondering whether there may be differences in the memory load that the program needs to sustain in Acrobat, versus MS Word. That still doesn't answer the question about why standard Windows-commands execute so inconsistently.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried something different yesterday when working in Acrobat. I still needed to make a positive connection with the open window on the screen, but I was able to navigate the command menu without interruption using only the DNS command mode. It's not perfect, but it did work better than it had before. The only hassle is having to switch between the command mode and the dictation mode or normal mode when it came to working with specific pages in that document on screen, such as printing a specific sequence of pages, or deleting same. So, I can live with that.

Art Silen

artsilen@sbcglobal.net

"Question assumptions"

DSN 11.5, running on Win7;Intel Core i7 CPU 970 @3.20 GHz; System Memory 12 GB; Graphic AMD Radcon HD6570; System Board 2A861.04E01; System Bios 6.15

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » KnowBrainer Software and Support » Disconnected window

Statistics
28395 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 114 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 116 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.