KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Did anybody use Stream Deck in order to send complex actions or scripts in Dragon or KB ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/02/2020 03:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 08/02/2020 03:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dicdoc
Top-Tier Member

I just saw this at a friend's : https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck

did anybody already try it with KnowBrainer ? It seems a cheaper alternative than speechmike button's ability and has the goodness os icon's visual feedback to see which action will be made when you're in another app.

I did not try try since I'd like to make sure it can detect app and sub apps changes like Dragon for windows, or spelling windows.

What about a connection with KnowBrainer's next version ?

If any forum user has it, would you agree to share a feed back in the context of our beloved apps here  ?

-------------------------

Memory: 16GB Microphone Brand and Model: LFH 4000 & Flexy Mike  Operating System: win 10, latest update; Surface Book 2, Processor (CPU) Type & Speed: I7 8650 Soundcard Brand and Model: none Speech Software: Dragon Medical Practice Edition, french version: 4.2 Using KnowBrainer?:Yes

08/02/2020 04:01 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

I have not used Stream Deck, although IIRC I encountered it the last time I went shopping for such dwevices (keyboards/button/touchpads that can have shortcuts attached to them per app and pert window). Back then, a few years ago, before I restarted using Dragon, I ended up purchasing (a) quadro.me, and (b) X-keys.

Quadro.me was an app that made your iPhone or iPad into a touchpad. Customizable buttons, different shapes, colors and sizes. Different per app. Worked very nicely to control a Mac. Eventually worked for Windows, although as usual on Windows the controls were much more fragile - Mac apps use AppleScript, whereas Windoqws apps must be controlled by keyboard commands, and hence are much more fragile. Unfortunately, Quadro.me went out of business.

Xkeys is just a customizable keyboard. Static - you can set keytops, but they don't change. You can turn LEDs on and off, but you can't change the full symbols displayed on top of the key. I have an Xkey 4 and an Xkey 16, and program them using AutoHotKey.

---

Stream-deck seems to have improved since last I shopped. Back then, there was only one model, and it could only emit single hotkeys, like Ctrl+Shift+A. To get multi-key sequences back then you had to use AutoHotKey. It looks like the Stream-deck software has gotten a bit smarter, but I will bet that you will need to use AutoHotkey if you want conditionals (IF statements).

BTW, I think that when you say "connection with KnowBrainer" you are asking something like "can I set up commands that run both on stream-deck and KnowBrainer ", or even "can I set up commands that run partly in KnowBrainer and partly in stream-deck". I have a similar need, to reuse code/commands between KnowBrainer/Dragon and autohotkey/xkeys/my watch remotes/... E.g. yesterday I created a Thunderbird/KnowBrainer command "copy message using same formatting as reply" (actual name is shorter), which I originally wrote in Outlook/AHk years ago, and which I connected to KnowBrainer when I started using speech again last year, by having KnowBrainer invoke the AHK command. Unfortunately, I coded the Thunderbird version in KnowBrainer, and then realized that I also want it attached to my trackball buttons the way I am used to from AutoHotkey/Outlook (and also to something like triple click of spacebar). The best way I know of to have commands available in multiple places is to use AutoHotKey, and have KnowBrainer or Xkeys interact with the AHK script.

---

Here's a snip from reddit, the last time I was shopping:

From

Posted by user BlackenedPies, circa 2018

I got the Genovation CP24 for $72 but it has gone up to $90 on Amazon. It's similar but without advanced scripting offered by X-Keys. For macros and along with AHK, it works very well and is reliable

Two different alternatives are the Logitech G13 ($63 sale) and Elgato Streamdeck ($100 sale). The G13 has great software for flexible macros, including multiple delayed keypresses, but requires the software to be running (it doesn't however require running in Admin, can work on lockscreens, and the G13 has built-in memory which can be moved to a different PC)

The Streamdeck is different but can be used as a 15 macro keypad. The software is weaker and needs to run in Admin for some uses (you can force this in the registry or GPEdit). The benefit is that each key is a screen, you can switch between folders (a useful feature) and profiles on the fly, and it's easy to customize the picture. The downsides are that it's more expensive ($150 MSRP) and uses touchscreen buttons instead of mechanical keys, can only use "normal" macros (Ctrl+Shift+A, not A+B+C without AHK), and the software needs to always be running and sometimes fails to resume from sleep and requires unplugging+replugging

For work, I use the CP24 and have all the keys set to variations of F13 - F24, which work in tandem with AHK depending on the active application or script. At home, I have the G13 for games / browsing etc. and use the Streamdeck for other functions, for example pressing a key (with a macro for Ctrl+F22) Alt+Tabs out of the game, focuses on the last-used Chrome window and presses Space (play/pause media), then activates the game window (using an AHK script).

Edit: For Rainbow Six Siege on the Streamdeck, I made a script so that each operator has a button, and holding that button during loading hovers the mouse over the operator and rapidly clicks - guaranteeing that the user gets the operator. It's not particularly useful because it's always better to see what your team mates are picking first, but I did it to see if it works. Note that in many games, including the actual "game" in R6S (not load screens), scripts like this and the Alt+Tab macro are blocked by anti-cheat software

Edit2: another useful device is a footpedal for a simple macro. I use these as push-to-talk and game-recording functions at home. Freeing up your voice-chat finger in competitive games is very useful. At work, I use one to modify macros for extra functions. Like the CP24 and X-Keys, these footpedals have built-in memory and don't require software to be running and can be moved between PCs

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

08/02/2020 06:28 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

"Stream Deck Mobile" - their software running on Apple iPhone/iOS or Android - looks like a cheap-ish way to evaluate. 30 days "free", 3$/month, 25$/year on iPhone.

As I mentioned, I used a similar app, Quadro.me, on iPhone and iPad for a while, and was reasonably happy. Quadro I think was more capable, in allowing multiple button sizes, which helped quite a lot. Quadro also ran on both iPhone and iPad, whereas Stream-deck mobile seems to be saying iPhone only - probably because if available on an iPad or Android tablet, would crater sales of the physical Stream-deck devices.

Elgato/stream-deck make a fuss about their SDK.  I hope that means that a properly integrated app is controlled not just by SendKey, but by actual app functions.

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

08/05/2020 02:28 PM

Author Icon
dicdoc
Top-Tier Member

Thanks for all these informations !

Memory: 16GB Microphone Brand and Model: LFH 4000 & Flexy Mike  Operating System: win 10, latest update; Surface Book 2, Processor (CPU) Type & Speed: I7 8650 Soundcard Brand and Model: none Speech Software: Dragon Medical Practice Edition, french version: 4.2 Using KnowBrainer?:Yes

Statistics
31793 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 593 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 593 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.