Thunderbird email slow   - Ag - 08/02/2020 06:58 PM  
 Thunderbird email slow   - dilligence - 07/31/2020 09:00 PM  
 Thunderbird email slow   - MTreloar - 08/01/2020 05:41 PM  
 Thunderbird email slow   - benTalks - 10/10/2020 12:48 PM  
Keyword
 07/30/2020 02:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MTreloar

Searching back in the forum and in Knowbrainer "Quick Tips", there are a few entries about Thunderbird becoming very slow. These tips did not fix my Thunderbird slowdown. Here is what did fix it. I am running Thunderbird 68.11(latest) and DMPE 15.5 in Windows.

Find "nsuser.ini" in C:\Users\<Your_user_name>\AppData\Roaming\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\

Make a backup copy. Then in a text editor such as notepad (I use TextPad), look for entries such as

[thunderbird|68.11\Compatibility Module Status]

Global Dictation=1

What I found and corrected was that there were several entries for previous versions of Thunderbird such as 68.8, 68.10 etc. I deleted these, leaving one entry that I changed to the latest version "68.11". Thunderbird has been updating frequently as of late. The old entries in nsuser.ini seem to be causing a problem, or maybe I did not have the very latest update listed.

The text entry in Thunderbird is no longer slow.

Murray

-------------------------

DPI 15/DMPE 4, KB2017, SpeechProductivity 5 std, Win10x64 (1909), Xeon E3 2.8GHz 64GB DDR4, Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3; Behringer Uphoria UM2, AKG HSC271 mic

07/31/2020 03:07 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

I just now started getting Thunderbird slowness. It may be an example of overall slowness, Which I have long suffered, but I am noticing it particularly in Thunderbird. New installation of Dragon on new PC two days ago, new profile as of yesterday. I could swear that I was not seeing this slowness yesterday, but I have started seeing it this morning, after a reboot.

Looking at my nsuser.ini, I did not see any [thunderbird|68.11\Compatibility Module Status] section. Should I be seeing this? I have added it to test, and also 68.11.0, but have not noticed any improvement yet.

My slowness is not textmode entry, usually. My slowness is either commands, or more often switching between command mode and dictation mode.

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

07/31/2020 04:20 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Well, I found at least one thing that was causing slowness in Thunderbird: when I disabled voice-enabled menus, buttons and other controls in Thunderbird, it suddenly got a lot faster.

This would suggest that my recollection that it was fast yesterday was wrong. I suspect that this was new to me, since I think on my old Dragon installation I probably already had this option set

DPG15.6 (also DPI 15.3) + KB, Sennheiser MB Pro 1 UC ML, BTD 800 dongle, Windows 10 Pro, MS Surface Book 3, Intel Core i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.3/1.5GHz (4 cores, 8 logical, GPU=NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000 with Max-Q Design.

08/01/2020 05:56 PM

MTreloar

@ag,

I do not have TBird menus "excluded" in DMPE. So, in my setup, I do not think this is the issue.

Murray

DPI 15/DMPE 4, KB2017, SpeechProductivity 5 std, Win10x64 (1909), Xeon E3 2.8GHz 64GB DDR4, Focusrite Scarlett Solo 3; Behringer Uphoria UM2, AKG HSC271 mic

08/02/2020 06:58 PM

Author Icon
Ag
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: MTreloar  I do not have TBird menus "excluded" in DMPE. So, in my setup, I do not think this is the issue.

A bit has been flipped somewhere:

For me, the problem occurs when I have "Voice-enable menus, buttons, and other controls"  enabled for  Thunderbird.

I.e. when I have "Voice-enable menus, buttons, and other controls"  enabled, and I have NOT excluded  Thunderbird

I do NOT  I have the problem if "Voice-enable menus, buttons, and other controls"  is enabled, and  Thunderbird is excluded

And I also do not have the problem if I have disabled "Voice-enable menus, buttons, and other controls" completely,  for all apps.

So if you have  TBird menus "excluded" in DMPE,  you might very well be having the problem that was biting me.

---

BTW,  I do not recall this being a problem in the past. Several things have changed for me recently, including the usual Windows updates, a Thunderbird update, and the DPG 15.6 update.   Also, I changed PCs.   Any of these things might have caused tghe problem.  Or perhaps I simply had not noticed it before, because other delays were dominating. ( overall, switching PCs seems to have eliminated a lot of my stall problems,  probably because of fans/power management.)  Also, I have  multiple large  displays,  and Thunderbird has a very large number of menus. I can imagine that parsing  Thunderbird's menus takes a long time. It appears that there is no caching of such parsing -  the same delay occurred every time  I opened the menu and then closed it without doing anything.

---

For the moment, I'm going to  disable  "Voice-enable menus, buttons, and other controls", and see  if it becomes excessively annoying not to be able to navigate menus using  words rather than numbers.  For the most part, when I'm using Dragon/KnowBrainer I use neither -  I tend to use commands whose names somewhat resemble menu items.

07/31/2020 09:00 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Murray,

This is interesting. Although I never experienced any slowing down in Thunderbird myself I could indeed see the following two entries in my INI file (since I updated to the most recent version tonight):

[thunderbird|60.9\Compatibility Module Status]

Global Dictation=1

[thunderbird|68.11\Compatibility Module Status]

Global Dictation=1

I've always been using the Portable Thunderbird version (I run it from a different partition). Could that have anything to do with it? Although it's not completely portable because it definitely leaves a cache somewhere, I find it very convenient to maintain all my emails and settings even if I restore a system image (which I frequently do). 

www.speechproductivity.eu 

SP 6 PRO - The Dragon Enhancement & Productivity Suite

08/01/2020 05:41 PM

MTreloar

Rob,
I do not use the portable version. I did not mention in my previous post that I run TBird x64 -- not likely the explanation, but who knows?
I have just updated to TBird 78.1.0 x64. DMPE transcription is normal speed. I checked C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\nsuser.ini. It was still version TBird version 68. So, I suspect that the speed-up I attributed to correcting nsuser.ini may have been incidental.

You said "I find it very convenient to maintain all my emails and settings even if I restore a system image (which I frequently do). "
One does not need to use the portable version for this. I do the same thing using the profile manager. And, like you, my profile is on D: drive. Create a new profile by opening using the -p switch, reinstall the program, pointing to the new profile. Close. Copy the old profile data over the new one. Do a backup of the current profile before trying this. Also works if you do a custom install to a new executable directory, eg Daily or keep TB68 and install TB78 in a new directory to try out.
Murray

10/10/2020 12:48 PM

Author Icon
benTalks

A quick note to anyone with this issue--voice dictation suddenly stopped working in Thunderbird, and I realized it was because it had recently done a point update. I opened the file
C:\Users\"username"\AppData\Roaming\Nuance\NaturallySpeaking15\nsuser.ini
and updated the line that refers to that program, correcting the point version, and it works again. I don't see a way around doing this manually each time the program is updated.
KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » General Topics / Other » Thunderbird email slow

Statistics
31791 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 656 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 659 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.