KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Need code editing app suggestions
Topic Summary: I used to use Notepad++ for editing HTML, CSS, C++ etc. but it doesn't seem to work with Dragon anymore
Created On: 06/16/2020 11:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Need code editing app suggestions   - cy_borg5 - 06/16/2020 11:20 AM  
 Need code editing app suggestions   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/16/2020 08:05 PM  
 Need code editing app suggestions   - kkkwj - 06/17/2020 01:28 AM  
 Need code editing app suggestions   - Lunis Orcutt - 06/17/2020 10:32 PM  
 Need code editing app suggestions   - cy_borg5 - 06/17/2020 10:49 AM  
 Need code editing app suggestions   - kkkwj - 06/17/2020 11:50 AM  
Keyword
 06/16/2020 11:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

cy_borg5

I'm looking for a suggestion for a Dragon friendly text editor for programming. I have been using Notepad++ for several years and I really liked it. For some reason after recent update or some other unrelated glitch I can't identify, it no longer accepts dictation from DPI 15.3.

Is anyone else using Notepad++ with the Dragon and had problems or is it just me?

Can anyone recommend alternatives. I tried downloading something called Ginny and it wouldn't even let me call up the dictation box let alone allow me to dictate directly.

06/16/2020 08:05 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We like Visual Studio a little more than Notepad++

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

06/17/2020 01:28 AM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Edgar always uses PSPad, which is apparently Dragon friendly.

I just tested Notepad++ v7.8.6 on my system, and it would not receive normal Dragon dictation directly into the editor buffer.

Lunis, are you saying you can dictate directly into VS with Dragon 15.3? I have never been able to do that.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones

06/17/2020 10:32 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We also have PSPad but didn't find it to be Dragon friendly. Interestingly enough, when you run Visual Studio, you will see the DragonBar green • but before you get too excited, we haven't been able to get Select-&-Say to work. We prefer Visual Studio because we like the coloring which is simpler to Notepad++. PDPad is dull and doesn't quite support the KnowBrainer Artificial Select-&-Say technology which works in Visual Studio, Notepad++ and most Dragon unfriendly applications; like PowerPoint and OneNote. Here's how we do it:

1. We conduct all raw Direct Dictation with
 DragonCapture which buffers our dictation and drops our dictation into the target app when we stop speaking. Dragon works the same way but is not adjustable and will more often than not, fail to transfer dictation into non-Dragon friendly environments.

2. We use KnowBrainer 2017 for correcting, via the AI Type <dictation> command which checks for spacing and capitalization.

3. We use KnowBrainer 2017 for editing via the AI Artificial Select-&-Say “Go” commands. This means we can randomly select text, italicize text, bold text, delete text etc. While this is very effective, it still isn't quite as nice as dictating into Microsoft Word but it has changed our work attitude. Between these 2 utilities, we don't think twice about using most non-Dragon friendly apps. We just check the DragonBar for the green • to see if we can select text by using the Dragon select 
<dictation> command or will need to use the KnowBrainer Go Select <dictation> command.

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

06/17/2020 10:49 AM

cy_borg5

I tried Visual Basic studio, Emacs, Kate, bluefish and perhaps others I can't remember. None of them would take Dragon dictation. Notepad++ used to be able to do it but suddenly it quit. Fortunately most of my programming I do in the Arduino IDE. But when editing libraries for Arduino you typically have to use a different text editor and I really liked Notepad++. Fortunately I found a workaround that allows me to use the Arduino IDE for editing libraries so I'm good for now but is frustrating that there seem to be so many code editors out there that won't take dictation. I'm wondering if they're all based on the same code base.
 06/17/2020 11:50 AM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

I think Dragon looks at the class name of the editor control to decide whether to send text to it. The tech problem for editor builders is to find/create/use a (custom) text edit (or rich text edit) control that can both do editing and be recognized by Dragon. Based on that YouTube video of Travis Rudd (sp?) doing voice editing using Emacs, I think he was using Python and Natlink to inject text and not Dragon->Emacs directly.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » General Topics / Other » Need code editing app suggestions

Statistics
31794 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 654 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 655 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.