In Memory of Larry Allen   - Tiger Feet - 01/18/2020 11:02 AM  
 In Memory of Larry Allen   - lifeisgood - 01/20/2020 08:53 AM  
Keyword
 10/13/2019 01:00 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

I regret to inform everyone that we lost Larry Allen, of SoftNet Systems, Inc., on October 10th. Larry was a Dragon pillar and without question, the most knowledgeable Dragon reseller, user, trainer and developer I have known. Larry was literally a legend in the speech recognition industry. I sometimes referred to him as THE DRAGON because of his seemingly endless pool of knowledge. I only reached out to Larry, with Dragon questions, when I exhausted all other resources; including Nuance Dragon developers and Level III support. He bailed me out so many times that I lost count. Larry even assisted me with the small stuff, like teaching me how to record Dragon Medical serial numbers by scanning the barcode. Larry was also one of this forums major contributors.

On a personal note, the SoftNet phone number is still active and I called Larry's voicemail just to hear his voice one last time. That's what he meant to me personally. I apologize for taking so long to write these few words which fall short of conveying my real feelings and Larry's contributions to speech recognition.

Larry was the founder of the Dragon Advisory Board which gave other resellers a voice with Nuance. He wrote 6 Dragon books including Scripting for Dragon NaturallySpeaking which always was and still is the Bible on creating Dragon Advanced-Scripting commands.

If anyone would like to send a few words of comfort and/or cards to Larry's family I think the gesture would be appreciated. Please use the following mail address:

Larry Allen & Family

12635 North 2nd Street

Phoenix, AZ 85022

In memory of Larry Allen... Forever Remembered and Forever Missed

-------------------------

Forum Mission Statement
Trial Downloads
Dragon/Sales@KnowBrainer.com 
(615) 884-4558 ext 1

10/13/2019 03:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

This is so sad, and having known Larry on a personal and professional level, there is hardly anything left to add to what Lunis has already said. During all those decades where speech recognition, and Dragon speech recognition in particular, have been worked on and discussed in public, Larry Allen has most likely been both the most knowledgeable and integer person contributing to it, by whichever account. Will miss him forever.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

10/13/2019 04:25 PM

Author Icon
kkkwj
Top-Tier Member

Hey Lunis, that was a really nice eulogy that you posted. Credit to you. Thank you for your kindness.

Win10/x64, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 64GB RAM, Dragon 15.3, SP 6 PRO, SpeechStart, Office 365, KB 2017, Dragon Capture, Samson Meteor USB Desk Mic, Klim and JUKSTG earbuds with microphones

10/14/2019 01:45 PM

MikeJ
Top-Tier Member

In all my time here on these forums, I have only had the pleasure of interacting with Larry a couple of times. I just reread the last personal message chain that I exchanged with him late last year (Glad I hadn't deleted it yet).

I had made some forum post about trying to force Dragon dictation into some Dragon-unfriendly application and, rather than simply reply in the open forum, he actually sent me a private message with some very helpful information and gave me something to try. That's the kind of guy he was. As incredibly knowledgeable as he was, he was never above helping anyone with anything if he thought he could.

Godspeed, Larry!
 11/03/2019 06:55 PM

Author Icon
Matt_Chambers
Top-Tier Member

Larry was the best. R.I.P. Mr. Allen. You will be missed.
 01/18/2020 11:02 AM

Author Icon
Tiger Feet
Top-Tier Member

Sorry, I've only just come across this thread. So sad to read Larry has passed away.

Although I did not know the man personally, I've always admired him. I'm sure I've been in the same thread as him somewhere on these forums. That is the nearest, I've got to the great man. After reading many of his posts, I have sat back and recognised his unbelievable knowledge on the subject.

Being from the other side of the pond, I've always revered Larry as a leading authority in his field. Since I started to learn speech recognition, I knew he was a huge personality in the business a long, long time before then. I know he has helped many people with his scripting books.

Goodbye Larry. RIP

Tiger Feet

| DPI 15.3 | KnowBrainer 2017 | Windows  10 Professional /64 Bit | Intel Core i7 Quad Core 3840QM (2.80GHz) 8MB | 16GB RAM. | 240GB Intel 520 Series SSD Boot Drive | 750GB 7200 rpm Secondary Drive  | Sennheiser D10-USB Wireless. |

01/20/2020 08:53 AM

Author Icon
lifeisgood
Top-Tier Member

I just found this thread. I am sorry to hear that Larry has passed away. I did not know him personally, however, he helped me so much with scripts I had difficulty with and for that I will be always thankful. RIP.

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » General Topics / Other » In Memory of Larry Allen

Statistics
31794 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 701 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 702 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.