Assistance with finger RSI   - sterlingtimes - 06/18/2019 12:28 PM  
 Assistance with finger RSI   - dilligence - 06/20/2019 09:56 PM  
Keyword
 03/09/2018 04:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sterlingtimes
Top-Tier Member

Only the British will recognise the Homepride Man. Anyway, I fixed the Homepride Man to the left click mouse key on a large mouse pad. Now I can click left thousands of times a day using my fist, the palm of my hands, my wrists or my elbows. Although it is mechanical, it certainly gives finger relief without always resorting to "mouse click".

10/20/2018 07:07 PM

Author Icon
geodude

Thanks sterlingtimes. I copied your approach by assigning click to a key on an external numpad and attaching an orange piece of foam to so I could press with my palm. This works okay but it's still not great since I find prolonged finger extension painful sometimes. I'm also experimenting with pressing the button with my toe (see pictures – initially I had the wrong picture this is now fixed). 

1. Sterlingtimes: in your private message to me, you said you had other options. Can you please share them? Primarily my issue is with repetitive finger flexion though I also have some bilateral ulnar wrist pain and (as I mentioned) finger pain from prolonged finger extension. 

2. I think in principle it should be possible to attach any sort of mechanical button or switch (e.g. something that's really easy to press--not necessarily something intended for a computer originally) to a computer and assign it to anykey you want. Does anyone know what this would entail? I am able to move the mouse but it hurts click it so ideally I could attach a custom made button that's super easy to press to the mouse and then press it with my thumb which is my least injured finger. (Since this forum is about speech recognition, maybe I should ask these custom hardware questions on another forum like Reddit RSI or some computer hardware forum (let me know if you know a good place to ask about this sort of thing)).

3. I also have difficulty with scrolling. Using the mouse wheel is very uncomfortable for me. Sometimes I use the touchpad with 2 fingers to scroll but that also causes pain sometimes. Does anyone know another physical method of scrolling that would be easier on my fingers e.g. something that use my whole hand or arm rather than the fingers? For example, maybe something like a big steering wheel could be made into scrolling device?

(Auto scroll (middle click by voice) works okay in some apps like chrome. Adobe PDF reader does have scrolling hotkey ctrl+shift+h <1-9 (for speed)> (press minus to reverse direction)). 

3.1 Generally I have not found a good global solution to scroll by voice, though I haven't yet downloaded the new KB scrolling command-- I will do that soon. Anybody else have good non-KB scrolling commands? One way (which would not be that good) would be to automatically hold down/up the down arrow, I haven't figured out how to do this yet but I assume it can be done in Autohotkey and then assigned to a voice command. 

20181020_150525.jpg
20181020_150525.jpg  (2283 KB)
20181020_150554.jpg
20181020_150554.jpg  (2536 KB)

10/21/2018 04:51 AM

Author Icon
sterlingtimes
Top-Tier Member

First of all, geodude,  I understand the problem of finger RSI very well. It started to impact on my work around about 12 years ago. I have had many hospital investigations over the years. Initially, it was noted that I had thickening in the palms of my hands attributed to Dupuytren’s contracture (no actual bending of the fingers). Only recently has this been diagnosed as "moderate to serious" osteoarthritis.

I think that I have wrecked my fingers through constant typing of text each and every day and possibly by riding a couple of horses that are strong pullers.

I find it difficult sometimes to do simple things such as popping pills out of foil packages, opening jars, using a mobile phone. Small intricate things prove more difficult than larger devices.

First of all, do a Google search for "Handshoe mouse". This could be your biggest help. It is far more satisfactory than using a vertical mouse. Your whole hand would rest on the oversized mouse with a slight clockwise rotation if you are right-handed. You have to get into the habit of not being tempted to use your fingers. The Handshoe mouse is quite expensive. Here in the UK employers will help with providing assistive technology under the Equality Act 2010. Self-employed people have to fund themselves, of course.

Now, you can use a spoken click. Rob at Speechproductivity, who posts on this forum, introduced me to the concept of "ergonomic commands". This involves using repetitive commands with soft sounds to reduce voice strain. For instance, Rob would use "Touch" for a left click which is far easier than saying "mouse click". I use "Dah" that someone else on the forum suggested. I have produced some improved very simple scroll commands, 

e.g. Nudge (a nice soft sound)

HeardWord "go","down","fifteen"

Double Nudge

Wait 200

Upstairs

SendKeys "{Home}"

Downstairs

SendKeys "{End}"

Down-it

SendSystemKeys "{Space}"

Up-it

SendSystemKeys "{Shift+Space}"

Up-nudge

HeardWord "go","up","fifteen"

There will always be a temptation to use your fingers from time to time. This is best avoided. I find it far more painful to use the fingers in my dominant hand (in my case my left hand). Using the palm of the less dominant hand to click is a good possibility.

Finally, for now, you may find it useful to use some hand stretching exercises. I have a book for these exercises. There is one exercise which has proven itself to be very helpful. I will see whether I can find this for you.

Do let me know if anything here proves useful. Regards, Stephen 

10/21/2018 09:14 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

In addition to Stephen's sage advice, if you want a simple and effective "voice" command for repetitive paging down webpages (which would normally require saying "press space" hundreds of times) you could use:

"sssjjj"

SendKeys "{Space}"

"sssjjj" is not even a real word but if you train this command a bit it will work miraculously well and simply won't strain your voice. 

Have you considered using a foot pedal for repetitive keystrokes and mouse clicks?

The Infinity Foot Pedal is a good one. Keystrokes and mouse clicks can be programmed into it relatively easily with the program Pedable

One word of advice, a footpedal can be an additional help if you have RSI, but use it sparsely, overuse will ruin your knees.

-------------------------

www.speechproductivity.eu 

The Ultimate Dictation Box for Dragon - SP Ergonomic Editor - Hotkeys for Dragon - Better Text to Speech - Easy Guide to Dragon Scripting

11/10/2018 12:54 AM

Author Icon
geodude

Thanks. I've had a fair amount of physical therapy and do some stretches, but I would be interested in the stretches/books you found helpful. I've the handshoe mouse and works pretty well though not for clicking; recently I found that Logitech MX master 2S to be comfortable for moving the mouse (though again not clicking). Foot pedals cause a groin injury for me. Though using my toe has worked okay so far (knock on wood). 
I'm working on some homemade hardware. (See pictures)
1) My favorite so far is what I call the "scroll-copter".  I scroll by spinning a sort of helicopter played with my whole hand or even just my arm. I've taken a Kensington trackball with scroll ring, taking out the trackball, stuck a PVC pipe on top of the scroll ring and stuck a plastic rod on top of that to play the role of the helicopter blade. Works great so far.
2) I've attached a rock with large surface area on top of Apple Magic mouse via some silly putty. This makes it very easy to click the mouse though it only has left click.
I also tried attaching a piece of wood with large surface area to another mouse but that hasn't worked that well so far.
3) you can control the mouse pointer and scroll up and down using an Xbox 360 controller. To do this you need to get a free software called gopher. (It also has left and right click I don't use this). I've attached a rod to one of the control sticks in order to make it more of a joystick feel.

20181109_212936.jpg
20181109_212936.jpg  (2420 KB)
20181109_213000.jpg
20181109_213000.jpg  (1998 KB)
20181109_213013.jpg
20181109_213013.jpg  (2123 KB)
20181031_031347.jpg
20181031_031347.jpg  (2375 KB)

11/10/2018 01:43 AM

Author Icon
Mauricio14

The best way I have found to click or scroll without using the voice or hands is using sounds produced with the mouth (non-vocal sounds). Talon has that feature (I wish more programs would have it), and is programmable. Currently talón recognizes two sounds but more will be included in the future.

"Pop" sound is used in this video:

https://youtu.be/VMNsU7rrjRI

Hiss "sssssss" sound is used in this video:

https://youtu.be/i6_fdMtmv6c

You can also use an eye tracker to scroll.

11/10/2018 11:33 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Talon sounds promising, but I see it's only Mac. Any chance on a Windows version in the near future? I would love to use the Pop sound!!

Here's another app I tried and actually works pretty good with a regular WebCam, you can use chuckles or smiles to click the mouse:

https://smylemouse.com/

The price of course is way too steep if you consider that EViacam is just as accurate but only lacks gesture support in the Windows version (Mac version appears to support that).

Anyway, here's a short demonstration of the simple sssjjj DVC voice command I mentioned earlier in this post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DimlqDojlM&feature=youtu.be

The Ultimate Dictation Box for Dragon - SP Ergonomic Editor - Hotkeys for Dragon - Better Text to Speech - Easy Guide to Dragon Scripting

11/27/2018 12:29 AM

Author Icon
squirtle2
Power Member

Mauricio, thanks for your recommendation about the popping sound. Can you please explain how I would get that? Do I just train the popping sound directly in Dragon? (I tried that that didn't seem to work.) Do I need to install Talon? if so can you please link to the relevant installation page and/or documentation? Thank you very much.

Edit: I found the answer to my question here: https://talonvoice.slack.com/messages/C7ERD5Q5T/

as the other posts in this thread indicate, talent is not available for Windows yet.

Caster: take Dragon to the next level!

Please join us! https://gitter.im/dictation-toolbox/Caster

11/11/2018 10:23 AM

Author Icon
sterlingtimes
Top-Tier Member

I forgot to mention that for those with finger RSI but with use of hands, someone published on this board a set of commands which could hold and release mouse buttons.

The commands "hold centre" and "release centre" can be used for manual scrolling with a mouse (even with the non-dominant hand). It can be quite useful to disable the mouse keys physically to discourage their use.
 11/11/2018 09:49 PM

Author Icon
Mauricio14

Talón is going to have a version of Windows in the future, it is a fantastic software to which new functions are added every month and it is a donationware.
By having repetitive strain injury and talón being such a useful software I switched to Mac OS and am using the Windows programs that I need inside a virtual machine.
The advantage of pop sound that is fully configurable. Sometimes i use it to make a page down and with just pressing a hotkey i changed the mode and I can use it to use the mouse zoom.
Soon new sounds will be added to the application , it seems to me a game changer.

about the gestures when i install the Kinect I'm going to try this other software that apparently is cheaper but I do not know why it's not sold anymore
http://kinesicmouse.xcessity.at/

11/11/2018 09:59 PM

Author Icon
Mauricio14

about SSSJJJ, Thanks for the video. In what version of dragon does it work?

Where do you train it? Do you create it in the dragon vocabulary? Do you need any other third party application other than dragon?

11/12/2018 08:55 AM

Author Icon
lifeisgood
Top-Tier Member

If you have SP, all you have to do is open the Tools | Command Browser, look for the script you want to train, open the script, and then click on the Train button. When finished, click Save to close the training, click save to save trained script.
 11/12/2018 03:14 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Mauricio,

Lifeisgood is referring to the SP Ergonomic Command Set which was included in the first three SP versions. The "sssjjj" command was part of that list. The SP package changed significantly since version 4.0 and these (optional) commands were no longer included. However, I will consider including them again in future SP versions. Current 4.0/5.0 customers who are interested can have them for free. Just send me an email.

The "sssjjj" command is a simple DVC command that can be imported into the Dragon Command Browser (provided that you are using a Dragon Professional version). If you want to train any specific voice command open your Command Browser, go to script mode, locate and double-click the voice command. The MyCommands Editor will open and you can press the "Train" button.

Rob

11/12/2018 10:26 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

On second thought, let's just post the Command Set here so that anyone who is interested can use it.

The zip includes a Readme and Command List.

11/14/2018 04:50 PM

Bruce Tjosvold
Top-Tier Member

Diligence,

I've been using speech recognition for over 20 years, starting with version 1 of DragonDictate. When continuous speech replaced discrete speech I had difficulty creating commands that were not based on words within the English language. I use to have commands whose sound was triggered by a cough, a door closing, or a coffee cup banging on the tabletop. That is one feature of discrete speech recognition that I really miss.

I have been unable to train your command "sssjjj" to be successfully recognized. When I try to deploy the command it attempts to execute other commands that I have that start with the letter S. These seem to be the closest match to "sssjjj".

When I train the command I just make a hissing sound, pushing air out between my clenched teeth.

Would you be willing to post a video of you training that command?

I have attached a screen print of the DVC command I created.

Thanks

Bruce

sssjjj.JPG
sssjjj.JPG  (27 KB)

DPI 15.00.000.076

11/14/2018 09:08 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Bruce,

I've been using the sssjjj command for more than six years and I found that in cases it didn't work there was a slight damage in my (exported) command file. What you are describing is exactly what happened in that case. 

Since I create a backup copy of my command file every week or so I could easily revert back to an earlier version where the sssjjj command still worked. After importing the MyCmd file everything worked fine again.

I've created a very short video for you where I quickly create the command and quickly train it. Looking back to it closer Dragon appears to understand me the first time, but not the second time. That first time however appeared to be enough to get the command working:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1jpNeVFsI

Another strange thing I noticed. I have a global command for VoiceComputer named "show". While training the application-specific sssjjj command for Internet Explorer, Dragon interpreted it as "show" every time. For some reason that didn't seem to matter because the sssjjj command still works in Internet Explorer. Even though I've have several similar sounding commands in there as well like "show", "slow", "chu".

Just to check, create a new user profile. Then import the command, or create it from scratch and let me know what happens. 

Rob

11/16/2018 02:36 AM

Bruce Tjosvold
Top-Tier Member

Rob,

Thanks for your response and the video. I tried creating a new user profile and then creating the command and I ran into the same problem. When training the command it seems to recognize it just fine. But when I attempt to execute the command it either finds no match and asked me to say that again or executes a command that starts with the S.

I have never been able to create a command that is executed with a sound that was not already in the vocabulary or was a new word that I added to the vocabulary that phonetically made sense.

Perhaps there is something about my voice when making that sound that Dragon can't understand correctly.

Again, thanks for your help.

Bruce

DPI 15.00.000.076

06/07/2019 08:22 PM

Author Icon
kamelkamel

Originally posted by: Bruce Tjosvold Rob,

Thanks for your response and the video. I tried creating a new user profile and then creating the command and I ran into the same problem. When training the command it seems to recognize it just fine. But when I attempt to execute the command it either finds no match and asked me to say that again or executes a command that starts with the S.

I have never been able to create a command that is executed with a sound that was not already in the vocabulary or was a new word that I added to the vocabulary that phonetically made sense.

Perhaps there is something about my voice when making that sound that Dragon can't understand correctly.

Again, thanks for your help.

Bruce

First of all, do a Google search for "Handshoe mouse". This could be your biggest help. It is far more satisfactory than using a vertical mouse. Your whole hand would rest on the oversized mouse with a slight clockwise rotation if you are right-handed. You have to get into the habit of not being tempted to use your fingers. The Handshoe mouse is quite expensive. Here in the UK employers will help with providing assistive technology under the Equality Act 2010. Self-employed people have to fund themselves, of course. https://www.pornjk.com/tags/spankbang/    https://www.redtube.social   https://www.porn600.me/tags/beeg/

06/07/2019 09:32 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

I think the HandShoe mouse can be a very good solution for those with carpal tunnel and finger RSI. And yes, like most ergonomic hardware pricing is too steep. But the HandShoe mouse is not excessively priced compared to some of the Head Mouse devices out there which have an idiotic price tag (and I don't mean the SmartNav). 

However the HandShoe mouse won't make any difference for those with tendinitis (such as myself) which is usually elbow, but mostly shoulder related. In addition shoulder/elbow problems will easily generalize to back and neck problems when ignored for too long.

Inevitably and eventually at some point you are convicted to using speech recognition for your main workflow. Luckily it can be way faster than using keyboard and mouse but be aware of voice strain, I've read some nasty stories about that. You really don't want to trigger it by overusing your voice because, just like RSI symptoms, it can easily become chronic.

The Tobii Eye Trackers are another development that's becoming more and more interesting. Currently the Tobii Eye Tracker 4C is reasonably priced. I ordered it a couple weeks ago. Delivery was fast (Europe in my case -  it's a Scandinavian company). It's rather accurate and easier on the eyes than the Tobii Eye X.

11/17/2018 03:26 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Bruce, I wouldn't assume so at least if Dragon has no problem recognising your voice correctly otherwise. Thing being that it is next to impossible getting Dragon to reliably recognise oddly spelt written forms no matter how hard you try training them, for specific technical reasons.

Additionally, whether or not Dragon recognises such commands is never down to the state of the commands file, as mentioned above, but rather down to the state of the recogniser, as the commands file contains no information whatsoever as regards pronunciations.

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...
DragonCapture, DragonEcho, DragonPhrases, DragonBench, DragonSources (more to come)
Click the picture and find out!

11/19/2018 09:55 AM

Author Icon
sterlingtimes
Top-Tier Member

The new design involves adapting the keypad and using Mousekeys. A Hozelock adapter is used. I drilled a small hole into key 5 and then attached the Hozelock adapter to the key using a long self-tapping screw with spacers.

Key 5 is now a mechanical left mouse click.

Key 0 is hold left key down

Key . is release left key

This does not replace the spoken click in all events but it can be very convenient.

12/10/2018 08:43 PM

Author Icon
squirtle2
Power Member

I'm experimenting with a different approach to making a custom mouse button than sterling times.

As far as I understand it, when you click the button down on a mouse, it touches a piece of metal that joins 2 ends of a circuit thus completing the circuit and sending a signal to the computer to activate the click function.

I have taken apart a mouse and soldered some copper wire onto the circuit. Now I have 2 pairs of copper wires that I can use for left and right click. All I do to activate the click is to put a piece of aluminum foil on my finger and then touch (with zero pressure) the bare copper wires thus completing the circuit. One pair is for left click the other pairs for right click. I have used a very cheap mouse called pro HT optical USB mouse the website on the box is inlandus.com

I think you can do this with any mouse but maybe a cheaper mouse might be easier because the electronics are simpler. I have attached a picture of the 2 pairs of copper wire. 

I think this approach could be adapted to create mouse buttons for people with various difficulties. 

20181208_231949.jpg
20181208_231949.jpg  (2490 KB)

12/21/2018 04:04 PM

Author Icon
alexander

For clicking I remember there being a tool that would automatically click the moment you stop moving your mouse. There was an old one called MouseTool, but I don't think it's available anymore. It looks like there are some commercial solutions like RSIGuard and gentle mouse, although I don't see any open source solutions. Still if clicking is your main issue, it might be worth investing in one of these. Years ago I wrote a simple Python script that did it on the Mac, and it would probably be pretty easy to do on Windows as well if you know a bit about programming.  (Also found something called Dwell Clicker and click buddy ymmv)

02/04/2019 10:45 PM

Author Icon
squirtle2
Power Member

Thanks Alexander, that automatic mouseclick software sounds interesting I'll check that out.

For now, I've created an improved homemade mouse that allows me to click by touching my thumb on a piece of copper foil tape on the side of the mouse with no pressure. It's possible to make it so you don't even need to touch the foil you just have to be close enough to it and it will click but that might lead to misfires.

The way I did this was by hooking into the regular mouse circuit from a premade mouse as in my previous post but also adding a capacitive touch sensor to the circuit. The capacitive touch sensor I used is $9 here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SK6M1M6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if you want to do this yourself, you will probably need to know some very elementary electronics. My friend helped me with it since I am not familiar with electronics. But I was able to mostly follow what he was doing and it's not rocket science.

i have attached a picture

20190204_193712.jpg
20190204_193712.jpg  (2206 KB)

04/12/2019 05:14 AM

Author Icon
sterlingtimes
Top-Tier Member

This simple command "Middle hold" helps with scrolling at varying speeds (on a scrollable page) using very tiny mouse movements without the need for finger clicking.

MouseGrid 1,5
SendKeys "{Esc}"
ButtonClick 4,1

This is of course, of no use, for those who are unable to use a mouse.

04/12/2019 11:19 AM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

We just wanted to mention that anyone who is unable to use a mouse either has a copy of KnowBrainer 2017 or is eligible for a free copy of KnowBrainer which includes the Wheel <Direction> <1to1000> command so you can scroll up, down, left or right between 1 and 1000 small mouse movements.

Lunis Orcutt (615) 884-4558 x2
Live Chat
KnowBrainer Videos
What Is KnowBrainer Professional 2017 (PDF)
KnowBrainer 2017 (30 Day Trial)
SpeechStart+ (15 Day Trial)

06/08/2019 09:38 AM

Author Icon
sterlingtimes
Top-Tier Member

The Tobii promotional video really is dreadful. I was left knowing nothing about the product after watching it. My time may come soon where I need to explore these new options.
 06/09/2019 07:55 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: sterlingtimes The Tobii promotional video really is dreadful. I was left knowing nothing about the product after watching it. My time may come soon where I need to explore these new options.

True, like most (new) hardware promotional videos there's virtually no real info in it. Anyway, the Tobii 4C (just like the SmartNav) should be considered an additional tool. Dragon remains the crucial factor in hands-free use.

That being said, the Tobii works relatively seamlessly with Windows built in Eye control (PC Settings - Ease of Access - Interaction - Eye control). 

In addition for continuous cursor control (not always accurate enough) you can try IRIS.

There's even a free racing game available that works pretty nicely with the Eye tracker too (never thought I'd be able to play a racing game again).

One of the most interesting features of the freely downloadable Tobii Eye Tracking Core v2 software is the ability to look at any item on the screen and then click it with a hotkey (which you can set). However, emulating that keypress with a Dragon command or automation software just doesn't work. The program probably runs in a virtualized surroundings and it looks like it cannot be accessed with third-party tools. If anyone has a workaround for this I'd glad to hear it.

06/08/2019 09:42 AM

Author Icon
sterlingtimes
Top-Tier Member

This may appear to be off topic, but does anyone know whether the action of mechanical mouse key can be disabled via Windows 10?
 06/09/2019 08:02 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: sterlingtimes This may appear to be off topic, but does anyone know whether the action of mechanical mouse key can be disabled via Windows 10?

You mean disabling only the mouse buttons?

06/09/2019 08:38 AM

Author Icon
sterlingtimes
Top-Tier Member

Originally posted by: dilligence
Originally posted by: sterlingtimes This may appear to be off topic, but does anyone know whether the action of mechanical mouse key can be disabled via Windows 10?

You mean disabling only the mouse buttons?

Yes. With the Handshoe Mouse (large-size), I can pretty much control the mouse without pain provided but I share some of the burden with Dragon. It is clicking which exacerbates my pain. I have a range of maladies which probably contribute to my difficulties, but for the hand my clinicians variously diagnosed osteoarthritis, cheiroarthropathy and neuropathy.

Ideally, I would use the Handshoe Mouse without "buttons". The temptation to click remains ever present.

06/09/2019 04:21 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

I will see what I can do to come up with a quick and easy solution for this. Meanwhile there are some options you may want to check out:

AHK:

https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/93461-disable-all-mouse-buttons-temporarily/

Utilities:

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/restrict-or-disable-mouse-right-click-at-desktop-and-explorer/

Section 4: Mouse Disabler seems very handy.

"Jamming the button with a paperclip" as someone commented could work as well (although I would use a piece of paper instead  )

Anyway, be careful with any of these solutions (and links).

06/14/2019 09:51 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

I've got something up and running. It will disable all mouse buttons (including mouse wheel). Only Dragon voice clicks/scroll will work. 

It works (annoyingly) reliably on my system. Just like those break reminder utilities :-(. The only exception so far is Windows Task Manager. Anyway, it needs some further testing.

I can include a cancel hotkey. But then you would probably be tempted to use that and pick up the mouse again (I know I would). So it's probably best to not include that. 

Next, you could be tempted to disable the utility in Windows Task Manager. So I will give it a name that's not so easy to identify or similar to existing processes so you would run the risk of canceling the wrong process ;-)

Let me know which version you would like.

06/15/2019 05:15 AM

Author Icon
sterlingtimes
Top-Tier Member

This sounds brilliant. Thank you, Rob. The cancel hotkey would be helpful to the extent that my wife also uses the computer from time to time and would not wish the mouse keys to be disabled. I ought to ask whether the Mouse Keys are also disabled. I use Mouse Key 5 for left click by hitting it with my palm or wrist.

I have the left-handed Handshoe Maps. Here left-handedness is an advantage because I can use the number pad with my less used hand.

06/15/2019 09:39 AM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Just send you a download link. Here is a short Demonstration Video of the utility. Watch it in Chrome not Edge Dev (which appears to degrade YouTube video quality). 

I haven't tried it with Mouse Keys, you would have to experiment with that.

Let me know if it works on your system.

06/16/2019 10:23 AM

Author Icon
sterlingtimes
Top-Tier Member

Thank you, Rob, for providing this very useful utility. There are circumstances in which I need to revert to "mouse & click" with keyboard, so your well-chosen SCR LOCK command is a good get out:

[1] My wife needs to use the computer;

[2] I need to use the computer during business telephone calls;

[3] I need to use the computer for business Skype conferences whilst displaying documents;

[4] I need to use a program which misbehaves with Dragon, e.g. some very long and complex Word documents, Nuance PDF.

Despite my best intentions and my need to avoid self-induced pain, I still suffer the ever-present temptation to click the mouse. Even having used this mouse disabler for a day now, I am beginning to discover how frequently I access "mouse & click". This program, therefore, can be viewed as a self-training tool.

I have noticed that there are one or two little programs which evade the mouse disable, e.g. the Dragon Bar Menu.

I had hoped that MouseKeys would still work with mouse disabler engaged. Unfortunately, the click commands are locked out. Nonetheless, I think that this is the correct practice given the intention behind using the tool in the first place.

I have added the icon to the Taskbar as a quick means of disabling.

I appreciate that some board readers will not see the point of this, however, for me, it is very valuable. Thank you, Rob, for appreciating the value of this approach.

06/18/2019 12:28 PM

Author Icon
sterlingtimes
Top-Tier Member

After a couple of days of use, this is working out very nicely as a training tool. It is very much a matter of averting self-punishment. I often have difficulty in remembering a command and it is then so easy to start tapping away. I suppose that I am very lucky still to have some hand use.
 06/20/2019 09:56 PM

Author Icon
dilligence
Top-Tier Member

Glad to hear the utility works for you Stephen. You are right, however painful and annoying RSI can be, we should consider ourselves lucky to still have some hand use at all. 

At the same time this makes it so very tempting at times to (impatiently) pick up the mouse. Regretting it afterwards...

My RSI symptoms (mostly shoulders) have generalized to virtually any device or object. Being a musician I cannot play guitar or keyboard for more than 2 or 3 minutes anymore. I let my girlfriend operate my smartphone. Those subtle tapping movements or pressing a couple of buttons on the TV remote control will cause almost immediate inflammation in my shoulder joints. 

Those very same limitations have been a powerful motivator for me to really get into Dragon and speech recognition in general, discovering the true power of it. Let's be grateful to Scansoft for coming up with such a wonderful program and Nuance for making it more powerful, intelligent and accurate every time.

And let's be thankful for Google Home (the Mini works just as well). Love that  

The Nest Hub looks interesting too but it doesn't seem to support any additional voice commands after displaying the (video) search results.

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » General Topics / Other » Assistance with finger RSI

Statistics
31333 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 3936 on 09/08/2015 at 11:44 AM.
There are currently 354 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 354 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2019 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.