KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Programming with Dragon NaturallySpeaking
Topic Summary: Anyone have any experience?
Created On: 02/26/2012 02:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 Programming with Dragon NaturallySpeaking   - Codetemplar - 02/26/2012 02:42 PM  
 Programming with Dragon NaturallySpeaking   - Lunis Orcutt - 02/26/2012 07:07 PM  
 Programming with Dragon NaturallySpeaking   - mdl - 04/11/2013 12:58 AM  
 Programming with Dragon NaturallySpeaking   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/11/2013 11:57 PM  
 Programming with Dragon NaturallySpeaking   - mdl - 04/12/2013 09:10 PM  
 Programming with Dragon NaturallySpeaking   - mdl - 04/12/2013 09:18 PM  
 Programming with Dragon NaturallySpeaking   - R. Wilke - 02/26/2012 07:38 PM  
 Programming with Dragon NaturallySpeaking   - mdl - 04/12/2013 09:22 PM  
 Programming with Dragon NaturallySpeaking   - mdl - 04/12/2013 09:26 PM  
 Programming with Dragon NaturallySpeaking   - mdl - 04/12/2013 09:34 PM  
 Programming with Dragon NaturallySpeaking   - Lunis Orcutt - 04/13/2013 04:34 PM  
Keyword
 02/26/2012 02:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Codetemplar

Hi all,

has anyone been able to successfully and efficiently use Dragon NaturallySpeaking to both program and debug without using your hands at all? I have been researching into programming with dns and it seems the best way to do so is with Emacs. I have downloaded voicecode as the language I wish to program in C++. However I cannot seem to control Emacs purely with my voice. There used to be a free program called Emacs voice commander which allowed you to do so but the site where it was hosted is now off-line. Is there a similar program or does anybody have a copy of Emacs voice commander which they could upload?

Voicecode seems an excellent way of programming with the voice with C++ however as most programmers know you can spend as much time debugging code as writing code. I cannot see how a text-to-speech program can allow for efficient debugging like setting breakpoints, watch points, call stack navigation and stepping over in and out of functions. Most of this I used to do with the mouse and although dns has mouse control it isn't very efficient. Does anyone have any suggestions or techniques to allow for more efficient debugging not including to write free bug code ?

Thanks

02/26/2012 07:07 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Welcome to the World’s Most Popular Speech Recognition Forum

It sounds like Voicecode might infringe on our VerbalBasic patent which is the ability to code completely hands-free in KnowBrainer 2011. Unfortunately, the process only supports the KnowBrainer Command Browser but the patent prevents any other commercial enterprises from creating a (verbal toolbox) for any other programming code. Having said that, you could create your own (verbal toolbox) for personal use or third-party command utility such as KnowBrainer or via the Preferred/Premium to Pro 11.5 Upgrade but it would require a lot of work.

-------------------------

Click KB 2012 REV D to Download a 30 Day Evaluation of KnowBrainer 2012
Click SpeechStart+ to Download a 15 Day Evaluation of SpeechStart+

04/11/2013 12:58 AM

mdl
Top-Tier Member

"our VerbalBasic51 patent which is the ability to code completely hands-free": I don't know how much you know about patents, but you cannot patent the ability to do X, only a specific method or system for going about doing X.  If you are referring to US patent 7,966,182 B2, note that its filed date is June 20, 2006I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that if you try and accuse an open source product created before that date of infringing, all you are going to do is get your patent invalidated because you have just produced and admitted to a piece of prior art.

That said, that patent may well protect the method used by verbal basic, just not every way of coding completely hands-free.

04/11/2013 11:57 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

Actually, US patents no longer work that way. It doesn't matter who discovered, created or released what or when. All that matters now is who gets to the US patent office 1st. Note that we don't agree with that sentiment but it is the law. While we are not patent attorneys, we have managed to acquire a $45,000 education over the last 5 years and we have had to fight very hard for this patent which additionally includes about 14 subcategories (sub patents if you prefer) which basically prohibits marketing (for-profit or nonprofit) verbal toolbox macros. In other words our patent is designed to prevent anyone, other than us, from marketing/licensing voice macros to dictate command code. Since we were mortgaging the farm to make this happen, we went for everything. Our patent could have been challenged any time during the five-year process but when a potential patent goes unchallenged, it goes from pending to the final stage and our patent was never challenged. If it helps, we actually invented this technology, or concept if you prefer and while we may never get anywhere with it, we considered it to be an investment that may or may not pay off down the road. We probably could have eliminated a lot of aggravation by just buying a new car but we looked at the prospect is a gamble with better than Vegas odds. Obviously we don't know how this will shake out but we have to fight for what we believe to be our intellectual property.

04/12/2013 09:10 PM

mdl
Top-Tier Member

"Actually, US patents no longer work that way. It doesn't matter who discovered, created or released what or when. All that matters now is who gets to the US patent office 1st."

This is not true. The US did switch to first-to-file --- I believe in March this year --- but you still must have invented the material and there must be no prior art.  *Your* publicly disclosed materials disclosed for the first time within the last year do not count against your filing in the US.  However, if I publish a description of how to do X and you file a patent application for X the next day, you are screwed and will not be able to obtain a (valid) patent.  This is true even if you invented X long before I did.  Where first-to-file is interesting is if both you and I invent X then file for patent protection without disclosing.  Historically in the US, whoever could prove they invented X first won.  Today, like has been the case in Europe for many years, whoever filed first wins.

04/12/2013 09:18 PM

mdl
Top-Tier Member

"Our patent could have been challenged any time during the five-year process but when a potential patent goes unchallenged, it goes from pending to the final stage and our patent was never challenged."

In my experience, only one or two patent examiners actually look for prior art for a patent application during the application process.  I believe outside parties can submit prior art, but people are seldom paying attention and the application is secret at first. Your examiner very likely tried to argue that something was prior art for your patent application but your Attorney demonstrated to him that he was wrong.  This happens all the time and attorneys often don't bother to tell the inventors that it has happened.

Having issued, you now enjoy the privilege of having your patent deemed valid by presumption (there's a fancy legal word that should be here but I don't remember it).  That means anyone challenging it has to prove otherwise in court with the burden of proof being on them not you. You can still lose your patent if someone is able to prove that prior art existed.  You will note, for example, that this has happened recently in some of the phone patent lawsuits.

02/26/2012 07:38 PM

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Quote:
I have downloaded voicecode as the language I wish to program in C++.

I do a lot of coding in C++ these days, and I use Visual Studio for a number of reasons, but I have to admit I couldn't tell how to do this hands-free. However, the leading programmer around here, Lindsay Adam, might want to chime in at this point.

Regarding voicecode, as far as I know it is an open source project started back at around 2000, and it may be a little dead, but I couldn't see how this would hurt anyone's interests, even less so when considering it was supposed to support general programming tasks not interfering with particular scripting solutions, not to mention it comes for free.

Rüdiger

04/12/2013 09:22 PM

mdl
Top-Tier Member

To be clear here, I'm just trying to clear up some misunderstandings about how patents work. I have no information leading me to think there is any prior art for your patent; I do suspect, however, that what it covers is somewhat narrower than your original description.
 04/12/2013 09:26 PM

mdl
Top-Tier Member

codeTempler, could you repost your original question to the original forum again?

It veered off topic (sorry about that) and got moved to a different forum.

04/12/2013 09:34 PM

mdl
Top-Tier Member

Oh, and Lunis, don't worry about failing to try and stop infringers; this in no way hurts your patent rights. You are perfectly within your rights to wait until the day before your patent expires and then sue the hell out of everyone using your patent for full damages. Sadly, here to I speak from personal experience: the company I work for is being sued by an alleged :-) patent troll who did just that.
 04/13/2013 04:34 PM

Author Icon
Lunis Orcutt
Top-Tier Member

According to our patent attorney, there was no infringement and nothing to be concerned about because VoiceCoder is free and most importantly, not sold within the US. In other words we got overly concerned over nothing. We are probably a little oversensitive about our VerbalBasic patent because it's our baby but your advice is greatly appreciated. Now with Google, Apple, Nuance or Microsoft came up with their own version of VerbalBasic…

Sorry to hear about the patent troll because waiting until the last minute is obviously unethical.

Statistics
28504 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 2028 on 04/05/2013 at 07:36 PM.
There are currently 89 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 89 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.