KnowBrainer Speech Recognition
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: posts out of order
Topic Summary: my new reply landed in the middle of 35 others that were two years old
Created On: 03/10/2020 04:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
 posts out of order   - kem - 03/10/2020 04:53 PM  
 posts out of order   - R. Wilke - 03/10/2020 05:18 PM  
Keyword
 03/10/2020 04:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kem

A couple of hours ago I posted a reply to   "Topic Title: DPI 15.3 causing MS Word page to jump up and down" which has about three dozen comments. Looking at it again I was surprised to find that it was buried in the middle between a number of posts from 2018. I thought I had scrolled all the way to the bottom before adding my comment. Can it be found by others if someone wants to look? And what might I have done wrong? Or perhaps more useful, how can I avoid it in the future?

03/10/2020 05:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
R. Wilke
Top-Tier Member

Falling into that trap is easier than pie, learning why that is and how to avoid takes more than 2 minutes of attention, so maybe my attempt will be wasted, but I will try to explain anyway.

The problem most typically arises with threads that are very long, spanning more than one page for that matter, depending on what kind of browser you are using.

Once people start responding to posts "out-of-order", that is not to the latest one, the reply will not be appended at the end of the thread, but somewhere in the middle, just beneath the post that was replied to. And that's where the trouble starts.

Many regular posters around here exhibit just that kind of behaviour: Respond to one particular post, for whatever reason, and thus ignoring the overall line of discussion (if there is one), and ignoring anything else said on the thread at worst. Not mentioning those who don't even bother reading the message at all before responding to it, but that's another issue.

Now, if you are not aware of that, the overall line of threading typically being mashed up entirely over time with very long threads, and you start posting to an older thread which probably spans over several pages, you might just think that you posted at the end of the thread, while in fact you didn't. And that's what happened to you today.

To avoid this, both when reading or posting to a thread, make sure to click the "Linear" sorting handle near the right-hand top of the page (when viewing the thread in a traditional browser) which will give you a date-sorted, paged view of the entire thread, and go to "Last Unread" on the left-hand side near the top, to get close to the real end of the thread without too much ado.

Well, did I say 2 minutes of attention? Sorry, I was just kidding.

-------------------------

No need to buy if all you want to do is try ...

DragonCapture KB Download (Latest)
DragonCapture Homepage

KnowBrainer Speech Recognition » Website Comments » posts out of order

Statistics
31793 users are registered to the KnowBrainer Speech Recognition forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.
The most users ever online was 12124 on 09/09/2020 at 04:59 AM.
There are currently 664 guests browsing this forum, which makes a total of 665 users using this forum.

FuseTalk Standard Edition v4.0 - © 1999-2020 FuseTalk™ Inc. All rights reserved.